Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Retrospective: The 1982 World Championships

Not sure if The Trash Can is the correct place for this, but if it isn't then please feel free to move it. Previous retrospectives I have done have gone in to The Trash Can, but I know that the criteria has changed since then. I assume it is The Trash Can, as I don't think it would go in the Great Skate Debate and the K&C seems to be reserved for current competitions - not historic ones (but, correct me if I am wrong).

The key facts about the 1982 World Championships were as follows:-

• Elaine Zayak becomes world champion for the first time. She landed 6 triples in her long program, but 4 of them were toe loops. This lead to the introduction of the "Zayak Rule" which states that a skater may not perform the same type of jump more than twice (one of which must be in combination). The rule was enacted at the 1982 ISU congress and was designed to encourage skaters to perform a greater variety of elements in their programs. Although it is known as the "Zayak Rule", Zayak was not the only skater to have incorporated the same jump more than twice into their free skate. Sanda Dubravčić also used to include multiple triple toe loops and double axels into her free skate. However, this did not prevent her from winning a silver medal at the 1981 European Championships
    • Katarina Witt wins Silver - her first medal at Worlds. Rosalynn Sumners makes her debut at Worlds, finishing in 6th place. She would win the title the following year. She was unlucky in her preparations for the 1982 Worlds as she suffered a hip injury which left her only a short time to get ready.
    • Torvill and Dean retain their World title. Their free dance was the absolutely amazing Mack and Mabel for which they received five 6.0's! Everything else was 5.9. Great innovation. Interestingly, during the early part of 1982, Torvill and Dean went to the London Palladium and saw Michael Crawford in the musical, Barnum. This of course inspired them to create their new Free Dance for the 1982/83 season (i.e. Barnum)
    • Irina Moiseeva & Andrei Minenkov, known as "Mini & Mo", moved up from 4th to 3rd as a result of their free dance (denying Judy Blumberg & Michael Seibert, with their Fred & Ginger routine, a medal in the process). They skated to Bolero in their free dance, a full 2 years before Torvill & Dean did.
    • Scott Hamilton also retained his title. Brian Pockar won bronze for Canada, beating Brian Orser into 4th place.
    • Sabine Baeß & Tassilo Thierbach win the world pairs title for the first and only time after several years of trying. Moreover, they were the only pairs skaters representing East Germany to become World champions
    • Kitty & Peter Carruthers won their first and only world championships medal at these championships, but would later go on to win the Silver at the 1984 Olympics

Here are the medal winning performances:-

MENS

Gold: Scott Hamilton - USA

Free Skate

Silver: Norbert Schramm - West Germany

Free Skate

Bronze: Brian Pockar - Canada

Free Skate

4th: Brian Orser - Canada

Free Skate

LADIES

Gold: Elaine Zayak - USA

Short Program

Free Skate

Silver: Katarina Witt - East Germany

Short Program

Free Skate

Bronze: Claudia Kristofics-Binder - Austria

Free Skate

6th: Rosalynn Sumners - USA

Free Skate

PAIRS

Gold: Sabine Baeß & Tassilo Thierbach - East Germany

Short Program

Long Program

Silver: Marina Pestova & Stanislav Leonovich - USSR

Short Program

Long Program

Bronze: Caitlin Carruthers & Peter Carruthers - USA

Short Program

Long Program

ICE DANCE

Gold: Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean - GBR

Compulsory Dance

Free Dance

Silver: Natalia Bestemianova & Andrei Bukin - USSR

Free Dance

Bronze: Irina Moiseeva & Andrei Minenkov - USSR

Free Dance

4th: Judy Blumberg & Michael Seibert - USA

Free Dance
    Last edited by Maofan7; 12-15-2011 at 08:24 PM.

vCash
    My biggest and best memory is of Elaine Zayak moving from 7th to 1st place with her LP that included 6 triples.

But, the rest of the ladies comp was pretty Even normally solid Witt was a bit stumbly. Anyone remember where Sumners placed in the LP amidst the splatfest?

Men: I think Scott Hamilton fell in the SP, which was considered shocking, but he still retained his crown. Norbert Schramm was solidly 2d to Scott for a couple of seasons, but disappeared by Sarajevo '84. Anyone know what happened to him? I also recall that this was David Santee's final amateur competition and he finished a dismal 8th [some felt that a teenager by the name of Brian Boitano should've been on the US team]. Robert Wagenhoffer was 6th.

Pairs: An odd competition; The GDR and US teams were inspired. The top Soviet teams were NOT. B/T won their first and only World title. I remember they did 3 throws which was something. They were quite technically proficient. Pestova/Leonovich was 2d with what I recall was a pretty subpar performance. The Carruthers's moved up to the Bronze after defending World Champs Vorobieva / Lisovski bit it in the LP. Did the Carruthers' have the 2d best LP? I do recall the Soviet teams weren't that great

Ice Dance: B/B moved up to 2d and it was a fight for the Bronze between B/S and M/M. I do recall thinking that M/M deserved it, though.
    Last edited by olympic; 12-15-2011 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    I really like Moiseeva and Minenkov but I wasn't a fan of their FD that year. It felt like 3 random numbers pasted together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I really like Moiseeva and Minenkov but I wasn't a fan of their FD that year. It felt like 3 random numbers pasted together.
    I think Blumberg & Seibert were definitely unlucky to miss out on the bronze.

vCash
    I remember Katarina skating to Superman in that hideous purple and white diagonal floral thing. I also remember Scott Hamilton being hit in the eye by some flowers someone threw as he was interviewed. Maybe that explains things.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash

Thumbs up

Wow, you really put a lot of work into your post - thanks! I will enjoy watching all the skates you have linked here.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    This lady was leading after the figures and short programme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ebj70Mh3E

She dropped from 1st to 9th - a record?

vCash
    Also of note that this was the final year that the double flip was used as the required jump in the jump combination. Some of the more ambitious ladies (Zayak and Witt) went for the 2 flip - 3 toe combination with varying degrees of success. Not sure how it went with the men's SP that year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    This lady was leading after the figures and short programme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ebj70Mh3E

She dropped from 1st to 9th - a record?
    I'm at work and can't access youtube. Is that Wegelius? Did she even manage 1 clean triple?

vCash
    Mini & Mo ???? I thought their nickname was Mo&Min !

Anyway, thanks to the original poster because I've never watched these Worlds and I'm happy to discover them !

vCash
    ^
    1 yes
    2 no

She only appears to have tried one triple, which she fell on. She stepped out of 3 doubles in the 2nd half of the lp which is what really did her in.

vCash
    Keep in mind that Kristina Wegelius needed to place ahead of Claudia Kristofics-Binder in the free skate (4th) to win gold, and Claudia had 2 3-salchows in her LP. There was no way Wegelius was going to place 4th in the LP with her planned content.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'm at work and can't access youtube. Is that Wegelius? Did she even manage 1 clean triple?
    I don't think she ever landed a triple in competition...(?) Shame.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Having Carlo Fassi as a coach must have really been an influence on Kristina Wegelius' style. She has modeled herself on Dorothy Hamill right down to the Wedge haircut.

vCash
    Thanks for putting that post together, I enjoyed watching the videos!
    Someone asked about Norbert Schramm, here is his website:
    http://www.norbert-schramm.de

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    Thanks for putting that post together, I enjoyed watching the videos!
    Someone asked about Norbert Schramm, here is his website:
    http://www.norbert-schramm.de
    That was me. Thx

vCash
    Norbert Schramm was solidly 2d to Scott for a couple of seasons, but disappeared by Sarajevo '84. Anyone know what happened to him?
    Norbert remained pretty competitive almost right up to the end of his amateur career (e.g. he finished second again to Scott Hamilton at the 1983 Worlds). He simply had a disastrous 1984. He finished 9th at the 1984 Olympics and then withdrew from the 1984 Worlds and retired as an amateur skater.

This bizarre fall in his short program at the 1984 Olympics somewhat summed up his 1983/84 season!:-

Norbert Schramm - Short Program - 1984 Olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Norbert remained pretty competitive almost right up to the end of his amateur career (e.g. he finished second again to Scott Hamilton at the 1983 Worlds). He simply had a disastrous 1984. He finished 9th at the 1984 Olympics and then withdrew from the 1984 Worlds and retired as an amateur skater.

This bizarre fall in his short program at the 1984 Olympics somewhat summed up his 1983/84 season!:-

Norbert Schramm - Short Program - 1984 Olympics
    Thanks, I was unaware of his participation in Sarajevo '84. ABC coverage was pretty bad unless you were a top 6 skater, so I didn't see his performances

ETA - I watched the videos of the ladies SP.

Zayak's SP despite the fall was nice - great, opening Camel spin, double axel and double salchow. She was definitely a substantial skater who was more than just about triple jumps.

I also liked this version of Witt - the athletic tomboy with big strong jumps who skated to cheesy music, not the mouthy diva she would become in the 2d Olympic cycle.

If Witt was first in the SP and Zayak was 10th, does anyone know who filled in 2d, 3d, 4th, etc.?
    Last edited by olympic; 12-18-2011 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    If Witt was first in the SP and Zayak was 10th, does anyone know who filled in 2d, 3d, 4th, etc.?
    According to Wiki, it was:

Witt
    Leistner
    Vodorezova
    Sumners

but I'm not sure if anyone else in the field attempted 2 flip - 3 toe. I think the other ladies were attempting 2 flip - 2 loop instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    According to Wiki, it was:

Witt
    Leistner
    Vodorezova
    Sumners

but I'm not sure if anyone else in the field attempted 2 flip - 3 toe. I think the other ladies were attempting 2 flip - 2 loop instead.
    The other interesting point is that if there had been no school figures element, then the overall result based on the SP and LP would have been:-

1st Katarina Witt
    2nd Claudia Leistner
    3rd Elaine Zayak
    Last edited by Maofan7; 12-19-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast