Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Incredibly overdue for Michelle, so naturally hugely thrilled for her. Seems a shame word is Rudy Galindo is griping so much. And a further thought, is a degree of concern that her induction itself will both overwhelm the competition itself and only serve to provide unflattering counterpoint to the lack of a current star of her magnitude. NBC and the media should do their best to highlight the QUALITIES that made her a champion, not just that she was the ideal (ladies champion). The other disciplines, in my opinion, most notably and obviously DANCE are chock full of worthy media attention, but are NOT getting them in favor of the usual, ladies singles is what makes the world go 'round for the average watcher/presumed target demographic.

vCash
    New article by LA Times' Helene Elliott: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating

P.S.: I later started a new thread in GSD with this article: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81751
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-24-2011 at 05:13 PM.

vCash
    What a great article. Michelle really is an amazing person. I really need to use her as an inspiration as far as setting goals and achieving them. And she looks amazing in that picture!!! So proud to be a fan!! YAY Michelle!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    New article by LA Times' Helene Elliott: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating
    No, she hasn't forgotten the sport. And it will never forget her.

vCash
    kwanette, that's an understatement!

vCash
    Another good article here, with lots of quotes from the Kween:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/olympics/75...all-week-espnw

A snippet:

"I still can't watch the 2002 [long program]," Kwan said. "I know exactly what happened. I seized. The '98 one is easier, because I didn't make any mistakes and I thought maybe I had a chance to win."

A deep blue vein of sympathy runs just beneath the skin of her fans' admiration. Kwan has gotten used to people approaching her and saying they wish they could rewind the tape and alter one of those outcomes.

"Trust me, I've encountered so many where they breathed it with me, they felt it, 'I prayed for you' ... and I love that," Kwan said. "It is what it was. It would have been amazing, had I won '98 or 2002 or both. But I still wonder, would I have made the same choices? Would I have made the same discoveries as I did? I'm grateful for what it is and I can't take it back."

vCash
    ^^ Awesome article!

If you get the chance, at the bottom there's a reply to the article written by etexman903 that is just...wow. Incredibly touching story about how Michelle's beautiful skating helped him through a very tough time in his life...

vCash
    A wonderful article.
    Michelle continues to impress me, in so many ways.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Another good article here, with lots of quotes from the Kween:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/olympics/75...all-week-espnw

A snippet:

"I still can't watch the 2002 [long program]," Kwan said. "I know exactly what happened. I seized. The '98 one is easier, because I didn't make any mistakes and I thought maybe I had a chance to win."

A deep blue vein of sympathy runs just beneath the skin of her fans' admiration. Kwan has gotten used to people approaching her and saying they wish they could rewind the tape and alter one of those outcomes.

"Trust me, I've encountered so many where they breathed it with me, they felt it, 'I prayed for you' ... and I love that," Kwan said. "It is what it was. It would have been amazing, had I won '98 or 2002 or both. But I still wonder, would I have made the same choices? Would I have made the same discoveries as I did? I'm grateful for what it is and I can't take it back."
    Beautiful article.

vCash

Kwan on Kwan: Longevity hallmark of Hall of Fame career

New Article by Philip Hersh

He asks her some questions, and Kwan has some interesting responses.

vCash
    FYI, I forgot about this thread and started a new articles/Hall of Fame induction thread yesterday in GSD about the Kween (if a mod. wants to merge, feel free): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82270
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.

vCash

vCash
    So when is her induction ceremony?

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    It was amazing. Michelle spoke and took photos with everyone multiple times. It was an awesome way to close out the era of skating. She even sent a hand written card and bubbly to us at a gathering we had before the reception. She will always be the kween. packed house, brian b did speech, kristi, scott, paul, frank, peggy, john collins, todd, sarah... too many to name. Magical night.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    It was amazing. Michelle spoke and took photos with everyone multiple times. It was an awesome way to close out the era of skating. She even sent a hand written card and bubbly to us at a gathering we had before the reception. She will always be the kween. packed house, brian b did speech, kristi, scott, paul, frank, peggy, john collins, todd, sarah... too many to name. Magical night.
    Thanks, Jarrett. I heard that it was wonderful. A friend called when she got back to her hotel and we talked for 2 hours about it. She said that Michelle was so gracious. When my friend asked MK to sign her program, she(MK) said to her.."I've seen you for years and you never change."

I am so glad that you got to go, Jarrett.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    A few things really struck me about last night:

1. Michelle's graciousness in dealing with the crowd of people who all wanted a picture, autograph or just to say a word to her. She kept her poise in the middle of a big group of people and managed to say something personal and gracious to each group or person

2. Hearing Brian Boitano's voice crack just a bit when introducing her and talking about their years of touring together. Brian B. is one of my favorite skaters and to see the respect and love he had for Michelle was very touching.

3. Michelle's speech was so gracious and heartfelt. Her thanks for everyone who helped and supported her was so genuine. But the most moving part was at the end, when she mentioned how much she loves skating - not just the sport but the act of skating. How she loved the routine and process of training and improving each day, the feel of the blades on the ice as she skated and the freedom it gave her, and the stillness of the arena while she was waiting to start a program. Her obvious love for the sport and the joy in her voice when talking about it was so sweet and it's nice to know that she considers all her years skating as one of the best (but not the only) part of her life.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Thanks to everyone for the reports. As someone who's always found the MK/FC dynamic quite interesting, can those who were there share what was said by both of them in regards to each other?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I was there too. Some pictures here.

FC didn't speak, but Michelle basically thanked him for an amazing 10 year relationship, and he was the only coach she called out by name. It really was a great event.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Does anyone know if IN plans to provide the whole induction ceremony? Do you know if part will be aired on IN tonight OR will it be NBC? Thanks for any information.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I was there too. Some pictures here.

FC didn't speak, but Michelle basically thanked him for an amazing 10 year relationship, and he was the only coach she called out by name. It really was a great event.
    Thank you so much, manleywoman,
    What great photos.

How I wish that my travel plans hadn't fallen through!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast