Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Glee and New Girl over Parks and Recreation? As if!

vCash
    Janet McTeer!!! Romola Garai!!!

No one has commented on Ryan Gosling being nominated in both actor categories? He was hilarious in Crazy, Stupid, Love but I have yet to see The Ides of March.

Great set of nominations all around. At first glance, I don't see any that I rolled my eyes at. Although I thought Mildred Pierce was in last year's awards season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

No one has commented on Ryan Gosling being nominated in both actor categories? He was hilarious in Crazy, Stupid, Love but I have yet to see The Ides of March.

Great set of nominations all around. At first glance, I don't see any that I rolled my eyes at. Although I thought Mildred Pierce was in last year's awards season?
    I think Mildred Pierce premiered this past spring, so it was too late for the Globes to nominate it last year.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I have to say, it doesn't bug me at the Globes because the acting is all grouped together, but the Downton Abbey acting nods annoy me (in general) this awards year (Emmys, SAG) because it's been up for 'miniseries/movie' yet the show has been picked up for a second season, and therefore is NOT a miniseries or movie. I sincerely hope, no matter how good it is, that it's not eligible for nominations next year, because of this.

I'm kind of surprised there was nothing for Melancholia, since Kirsten Dunst won the best actress award at Cannes. I kind of get it because of Lars Von Trier's comments at Cannes, but being a giant douchetard doesn't mean it wasn't a spectacular film.

And also... where the hell is Community?

I get why the big stars are there - the Globes aren't a serious show - it's basically just a party where stars hang out and get drunk. Also, the HFPA was first organized so they would have more 'clout' and easier access to stars. So of course they want the big stars there so the news outlets will still have easier access to said stars. It's just a bunch of journalists praising the celebrities whose good side they want to be on. Hence 'The Tourist' last year.

vCash
    I so hope The Artist is gonna get at least something. I love that movie to pieces !!
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Glee and New Girl over Parks and Recreation? As if!
    Agreed! If it wasn't for Zoe D's "acting" nomination (I find her unwatchable in this role), this is the most bizarre situation of all the GG announcement. P&R, Community, 30 Rock, Raising Hope ... any of these would be worthy nominations. Oh well, nobody will win anything for a while, anyway ... there is a Chan situation going on in comedyland, as critics are collectively, deeply, and unabashedly in love with Modern Family.
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I have to say, it doesn't bug me at the Globes because the acting is all grouped together, but the Downton Abbey acting nods annoy me (in general) this awards year (Emmys, SAG) because it's been up for 'miniseries/movie' yet the show has been picked up for a second season, and therefore is NOT a miniseries or movie. I sincerely hope, no matter how good it is, that it's not eligible for nominations next year, because of this.
    Yes, this has an easy path for years for some series [mostly British, as it's the norm there for shorter seasons] to gobble up "movies/miniseries" noms and awards against largely ignored American network movies. Which begs the question -- how are these shows "miniseries" different from US cable offerings with similarly-short seasons like American Horror Shows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Agreed! If it wasn't for Zoe D's "acting" nomination (I find her unwatchable in this role), this is the most bizarre situation of all the GG announcement. P&R, Community, 30 Rock, Raising Hope ... any of these would be worthy nominations. Oh well, nobody will win anything for a while, anyway ... there is a Chan situation going on in comedyland, as critics are collectively, deeply, and unabashedly in love with Modern Family.

Yes, this has an easy path for years for some series [mostly British, as it's the norm there for shorter seasons] to gobble up "movies/miniseries" noms and awards against largely ignored American network movies. Which begs the question -- how are these shows "miniseries" different from US cable offerings with similarly-short seasons like American Horror Shows?
    Maybe a show has to have at least 13 episodes to be considered a season. Downton Abbey has 10 while shows like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Damages, etc. have 13.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    The Tudors had 10 episodes each season, so I doubt that's true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The Tudors had 10 episodes each season, so I doubt that's true.
    ^ Then I truly have no idea

vCash
    No Best Drama nomination for Breaking Bad!?

I don't understand the critical love for Glee as a comedy when Louie, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and Community are available options.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Oh wait, Downton Abbey only had 7 episodes in the first series, so maybe that's why it was eligible for Best Miniseries/Movie.

vCash
    What? Where is Community?!??

I recently watched the special features/behind-the-scenes on the stop-motion Christmas special from the second season. The cast was in a studio recording some singing (Yvette is really good!) and then Joel McHale said to the camera, "Suck it, Glee."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    I don't understand the critical love for Glee as a comedy when Louie, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and Community are available options.
    Agreed. Glee was TERRIBLE this year, too.

vCash
    I love that both Viola Davis and Meryl Streep were nominated and Meryl Streep just wrote a piece for Entertainment Weekly raving about Viola Davis.

vCash
    Is Octavia Davis and Jessica Chastain going to be splitting the vote for Supporting?

Should Jessica be campaigning for another film?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

Happy for Garai, have enjoyed her in multiple things over the last few years.
    gosling was amazing in ides of march, very deserving nomination.

Just saw the descendants n loved g colony, I think his best performance ever.
    Lots of really good performances in many categories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Is Octavia Davis and Jessica Chastain going to be splitting the vote for Supporting?

Should Jessica be campaigning for another film?
    I think you meant Octavia Spencer, and yes, they could split the vote. I still think Octavia could win.

vCash
    Re Downton Abbey - I was just informed that it was submitted (at least for Emmys) before they knew they were getting a second season. So that explains the Emmys, but they've known since before the SAGs and GG's.

Though I'm sure in the past there were shows that were cancelled after just 1 season that won major awards in the acting categories (I'm thinking Gena Davis in that show where she was president) - it just bothers me really that Maggie Smith (who is awesome) won the Emmy over Evan Rachel Wood who was amazing in Mildred Pierce, which was legitimately a miniseries.

vCash
    I would love to be in a theater (theatre?) full of people watching "Downton Abbey" whenever Maggie Smith is onscreen. So much sarcasm delivered with such relish: I think the audience would be howling.

vCash
    I wonder what are they going to do for Downton Abbey series 2 come Emmy time.

Spoiler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12