Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why is Czisny not fined like Flatt was for skating injured?

Just throwing this out there. I think there are arguments on both sides of the fence on this one. But, think it is worth the debate.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    What's to debate? It was reported that she was injured on a 3F during a GPF practice.

Article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    The injury happened Thursday, on an attempted triple flip.

"At the very beginning of practice, it was the way I picked on a flip jump," Czisny said. "It's one of those things that can happen. There's not much you can do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lpskater View Post
    Just throwing this out there. I think there are arguments on both sides of the fence on this one. But, think it is worth the debate.
    Why? Just to watch the fireworks on here

However, USFS could not just send the next avaiable skater so I don't think they care!

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    And GPF is not worlds, you don't qualify spots for next year, neither would her withdrawal allow another US Lady to participate(1st alternate was Russian). Flatt skated injured at last year's GPF and didn't get a lot of flack over it

vCash
    I think it's different because USFS could have sent a replacement for Rachel, while they couldn't have for Alissa

vCash
    I figured this would come up. The "Czisny skating injured at the GPF" vs "Flatt skating injured at worlds" argument holds no water for several reasons. The main reason is that Alissa was not injured a full week prior to showing up for the GPF. She injured herself during a practice, in Quebec City...that's different. Had she decided to pull out, no one would have been sent to replace her.

As for Rachael, she and her team knew a week before worlds (before she'd even left for Moscow) that she had a stress fracture and was injured. In that case, she could have relinquished her spot; instead, she kept it all hushed-up until all was said and done.

Most importantly, this is the GPF--not Worlds. Granted all of them are individual events, but whether or not Alissa medaled or not had no bearing on how many spots the US team would receive. The GPF is an individual event. The only person who suffered from Alissa's dismal performance is Alissa...same as Rachael, who skated injured at last year's GPF, was the only one who suffered from her terrible performance last year. However, Rachael's bad placement at worlds last year had ramifications not only for herself, but the US ladies' team.

The situations are very different...

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    On top of what's already been stated, Alissa was examined by the official USFSA team doctors, who confirmed that she wouldn't run the risk of worsening the injury by attempting to compete on it.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    GPF placements don't affect the number of athlete slots a country has for next season's GPF like at Worlds. Besides, Flatt was injured before she arrived in Moscow while Czisny injured herself in Quebec City during a practice session.

vCash
    By the way, how did the story with Rachael end? I mean, was anyone else punished besides her?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It's simple: Alissa reported the injury and was examined by team doctors, while Rachael kept it a secret. Rachael was fined for failing to report an injury, while Alissa followed the rules.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Rachael was fined for failing to report an injury, while Alissa followed the rules.
    ^^THIS
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It's simple: Alissa reported the injury and was examined by team doctors, while Rachael kept it a secret. Rachael was fined for failing to report an injury, while Alissa followed the rules.
    Exactly. There is nothing to debate.

vCash
    Yeah, I was thinking the same but realized that the rules & situaiton are different for Worlds.

I have one very big kudo for Czisny: She finally showed her true feelings in KnC after a bad skate. This time we saw tears rather than flashing teeth/fake smile. She was 100% natural.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    same as Rachael, who skated injured at last year's GPF, was the only one who suffered from her terrible performance last year. ...
    Not true. *I* also had to suffer through her terrible performance last year

vCash
    Didn't Alissa injure herself during a practice between the SP and LP? Or am I mistaken?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Didn't Alissa injure herself during a practice between the SP and LP? Or am I mistaken?
    Yes, I believe that was mentioned up thread. I hope you are not suggesting we should let the facts get in the way of a good
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Not true. *I* also had to suffer through her terrible performance last year
    I know, me too.

I wonder what's going to happen to Rachael at nationals this year...

It's clear the international judges have cast her off: she was last in one competition and like 8th or 9th in another, even after skating relatively well. Will the US judges award her a spot on the world team knowing that the international judges don't give a crap about her anymore? I'm thinking they won't. In addition to the tibia-gate thing from last year, I can't see them giving her a spot considering her results this year...

I would have said Alissa was a shoo-in (and with some inflated scores she probably still is) but she looks very shaky and unsure...nowhere near where she was last season. Mirai had a better performance at her last event, but unless she can find a way to bring some life to her skating she might get passed over. Right now, I'm leaning more towards Ashley. She had decent results this year and, if she can get through the SP, she has a pretty good shot at the podium.

It feels rather open again...no one seems like a lock for a spot as of now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It feels rather open again...no one seems like a lock for a spot as of now.
    Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the US ladies on or off the World team this year. It will certainly be an exciting competition in January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Yes, I believe that was mentioned up thread. I hope you are not suggesting we should let the facts get in the way of a good
    Ha. Of course not. That would be naive of me.

Though let's be honest, in addition to all the valid reasons already given in this thread, the fact she injured herself once the competition had started literally negates the need for any actual discussion. But I didn't say that

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    No, it appears to have been at a GPF practice prior to the sp, if the article is accurate. It states she injured it at a practice on Thursday; the ladies sp wasn't until Friday.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast