vCash

Smile Features for waltz jump (for fun)?

Hi everyone.

Well, since it's Christmas I've decided to take a small break from "serious training" (or as serious as I ever get) and try to do something special with my waltz jump to end the year on a good note.

Unfortunately, I'm slightly lacking in ideas. I've seen people do jumps with their arms over their head (especially axels and lutzes) but I'm not sure if this would look particularly good with a waltz jump, because the amount of rotation is so small. I've also seen jumps landed with hands on hips, but I'm not sure if that would severely affect my chances of safely landing the jump.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

vCash
    Varying the arm position is a good idea. I have done it with arms over head or arms crossed over the breast.
    Both variations are a good training as well because you have to balance with your core and not with your arms. It really helps your jump.
    Keep the position until after the landing if you want a training aspect as well!

I also did a waltz jump in the other direction for fun. Boy is that strange! But I think it helps as well not to only look at your favorite rotational direction.

You could also do several waltz jumps in a row with sidewards toe jumps in between.
    waltz jump - hop hop on your toes - waltz jump etc.

vCash
    How about the one where you tap your heels together at the top of the jump?

vCash
    You can definetly do a waltz jump with your hands on your hips. My coaches have made me do them with my hands held behind my back- SCARY, but it works (for me the idea was to stop jumping with my arms.) I'd go with on my hips first- as that still allows you to catch yourself if you fall. Behind your back and you can't stablize a bad landing.

Half jumps are good to learn in both directions, so I agree trying it the other way.

Even though the rotation is small, you can make a waltz jump BIG and have it travel a great distance- the air time will be long enough to put your arms overhead like Boitano or Rippon. I can't get that much air time though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    I was going to suggest the "click waltz jump" or "bell jump" as well. You take off like a regular waltz jump, but as you turn from forward to backward in the air and pass your takeoff foot from front to back, you actually click your feet together. It's really the inside sides of the feet that come together as they pass in the air, since your feet are parallel to each other as you pass your takeoff leg past the landing leg for check-out. I remember learning this as an axel preparation exercise, since it requires some height and also helps you learn to bring both feet under you in the air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    I saw someone doing it at my rink. I didn't know it was a well-known move !

Another idea. I loved Jeremy Abbott's spiral after a small Waltz jump last season :
    http://youtu.be/jzkMoqXYcV4?t=4m11s
    This video is not the best since he fell down the 3Lz right before this move ! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I was going to suggest the "click waltz jump" or "bell jump" as well. You take off like a regular waltz jump, but as you turn from forward to backward in the air and pass your takeoff foot from front to back, you actually click your feet together.
    To me, a "Bell jump" is a full revolution, landing forward. A "clap your feet" waltz jump was called a "cabriolet waltz" by my coach. She's from Germany and no one else used the term, so I don't give it a name - I just tell my students to tap their feet together for the waltz jump. The other coaches here do the same thing, so at least I'm consistent.

vCash
    A cabriole is a ballet term. It makes sense to call that waltz jump by the name, as it is just a jump with a beat- like
    http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html has a video.

vCash
    A cabriole is a ballet term. It makes sense to call that waltz jump by the name, as it is just a jump with a beat- like
    http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html has a video.
    That video is really showing a "double bunny hop" because he takes off and lands on the same foot without any rotation. A Cabriolet Waltz jump has rotation and takes off/lands on different feet. I don't mind conforming to the terms at our rink - no one uses the term "cabriolet."

I like the "click waltz jump" term; it's self-explanatory. We all call an ISI "half-axel" a "Bell Jump" ... the feet do come together in the air, but it's not a half-rotation jump like a Waltz. Maybe the OP can pull off a bell jump?

vCash
    The fact that the waltz jump has rotation is likely why that coach called it a cabriole waltz jump, and not just a cabriole. It is a variation on both. If the skater was only doing a cabriole, you'd just call it that...

I have no problem with click waltz, I was just pointing out where the obscure term came from.

vCash
    Oh. I guess I'm spelling it wrong, then. it's just the feet tap together that makes it a Cabriole? Doesn't matter what foot/feet/direction/rotation in ballet? It makes a difference on the ice...

vCash
    The tapping is the feature that makes it a Cabriole. It can be done on either leg, in either direction. (Just like I can do a waltz jump CCW or CW. Obviously a waltz jump is limited by landing on the opposite outside edge from what you took off from.)

This man, rotates his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsaEHnjy7r0 (and does a double tap).

There are many other steps in ballet that beat as well, and depending on the school of ballet you study under, different names can be used for similar steps.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    As Hedwig said, arms crossed is a good one, as it's more difficult, but doesn't require the same amount of time as getting your arms over your head.

I guess a lot of these depend on how high and 'big' your waltz jump is. Personally, I'd be happy if mine was more than a single sheet of paper's height above the ice, forget any variations!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    To me, a "Bell jump" is a full revolution, landing forward. A "clap your feet" waltz jump was called a "cabriolet waltz" by my coach. She's from Germany and no one else used the term, so I don't give it a name - I just tell my students to tap their feet together for the waltz jump. The other coaches here do the same thing, so at least I'm consistent.
    Thanks, I wasn't quite sure if "bell jump" was another name for the click waltz jump or not. My coaches always called the 1-revolution axel (landing forward on the right toepick) a "half axel". Is "bell jump" British?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Thanks, I wasn't quite sure if "bell jump" was another name for the click waltz jump or not. My coaches always called the 1-revolution axel (landing forward on the right toepick) a "half axel". Is "bell jump" British?
    I'm not sure where that name came from - being an ISI skater, I always called it a "half axel," but everyone in this area calls it a "bell jump," so I conformed. Resistance is futile and all that...