Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thank you!

Now, that's a crowd that loves figure skating.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Wow. I loved his skate the most by far. Would have liked to see him with higher Pcs. Amazingly talented fellow, reminiscent of Toller, Robin Cousins, John Curry. Simply. The best today in my book

vCash
    Unfortunately, the judges seem to "lowball" anyone who isn't a "proven" international competitor,

I'm very happy for Jeremy.
    However, he deserved an even better score.

vCash
    I will miss Jeremy terribly.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Gorgeous skate by Mr. Abbott! I'm so happy for him that he can go out on a high note, he deserves it! And I still maintain that he's the very best US male figure skater I've seen in my 4 decades of watching figure skating. *bow*

vCash
    Jeremy was quoted immediately after his free skate today:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49984&type=media
    Jeremy Abbott, in what may have been his final competitive performance, closed the season on a high note, performing his Muse free skate "the best I've ever skated that program in competition." He earned a season-high 166.68 points for the segment and 246.35 overall. He finished fifth overall.

When asked by the media of his future plans, Abbott acknowledged that he needs some time to process this event before making any decisions.

"If I go out today, I would be happy because that's the best I've skated," he said. "I'm certainly not done skating. I love to skate and I love to perform and I love to create. That's going to be with me for a long time. I'm going to be in front of an audience for a long time to come. I don't know. I'm trying to absorb this moment and then I'll go home and take the next step to see what happens."
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/...lver-at-worlds
    Abbott delivered a very stylish performance to music from the British group Muse, earning a personal-best 166.68 points and ending with 246.35 points, also a personal best.

As in the short program event Thursday, he was a great favorite of the Japanese crowd, gaining huge applause and a long standing ovation from the 18,000 Saitama spectators. Hundreds of flowers were thrown on the ice, and the 20 flower girls needed several minutes to collect them.

"It is really bittersweet for me," said Abbott, who planned this to be his final competition. "I have so many emotions going through my head. I'm happy with how I skated, and that was exactly what I wanted to do here.

"That's the best I've ever skated that program in competition," he continued. "I'm so proud and honored to do it in Japan. I had such a warm welcome. I want to look at my protocols and see where I lost points. I know that I could have been much higher than that."

When asked about his skating future, Abbott seemed to reconsider his vow to retire.

"I'm certainly not done skating; I love to skate, and I love to perform, and I love to create," he said. "I'm going to be in front of an audience for a long time to come. I'm trying to absorb this moment, and then I'll go home and take the next step to see what happens."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    No matter what anyone says about the new system, there is still magic in figure skating. This season has had no shortage of magical moments, and Jeremy delivered one of them in that FS.

vCash
    Jeremy has been invited to skate in the Worlds gala exhibition on Sunday.

ETA: He debuted a new program to "Latch" by Disclosure, with vocals from Sam Smith.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-30-2014 at 08:06 AM.

vCash
    Jeremy and his amazing impact on skating go well beyond any medals. I would rewatch his best perofrmances over almost any other skater of the last 10 years.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Jeremy's new, cool exhibition from Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplPAqlN7bU

Abbott is a master of musical interpretation and it was fun seeing a different kind of attitude from him in this number. I think he would make a really successful choreographer and music editor and I hope we see his brilliant influence and impact for many, many years to come.

vCash
    Here's the British Eurosport version of his new exhibition program to "Latch" by Disclosure, with vocals from Sam Smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTFnEf9BZhY

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ng-retirement/
    “Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”
    “I learned so much about myself this season, as a skater, as a competitor, more than I have in my entire career,” Abbott said in between autographing pictures and skates indoors, sheltered from plodding rain. “I really felt like I gained a lot of momentum. I kind of want to put that to use.”
    ETA:
    Abbott on future: 'I have a lot still to offer the sport'
    Four-time U.S. champion considers legacy, finances in making decision
    Posted 4/8/14 by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/08/71347104
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-08-2014 at 07:07 PM.

vCash
    Excerpts from this week's SOI Hershey & Newark reviews that are posted in the Stars on Ice GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4236465
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Hershey show tonight!

First, had a skate club meet and greet with Jeremy Abbott. What a sweet guy! Answered the kids' questions and signed autographs.
    The other program that brought tears to my eyes was Jeremy's first number ("The Fear" I think). Just such a sharp line between his skating and everyone else's when it comes to taking skating beyond competition and making it a performance. He could be the heir apparent to Scott and Kurt for SOI. This show really missed having an MC, and I wish Jeremy would have stepped into that role. And his blades on the ice...like buttah. He's so powerful and so precise. He bobbled and fell on one or two jumps, but landed a massive triple axel that made my daughter and I gasp. Unreal how fantastic that jump was.
    The men's number "The Walker" was funny. My daughter said, "Are they trying to look like One Direction?" They really did look like a cute boy band.
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Some impressions from the Newark show: ...

I also found Alissa and Jeremy's Piano Guys to be quite charming.
    The last few years when SOI was nowhere near me, I was most interested in seeing some of the group numbers that people talked about (but there were rarely ever videos online!), so I tried to capture those for people who might not be able to see the show live. It's a bit difficult to get everyone in the frame at the same time though. Anyway, I uploaded a few videos:

The Walker (men's group): http://youtu.be/Ig6DRvFbRD4

Czisny & Abbott - Piano Guys: http://youtu.be/RvS9dQtnGA0
    I give Jeremy credit for having two brand new programs for this tour - "The Fear" (Ben Howard) and "Latch" by Disclosure (debuted at the 2014 Worlds gala).

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425