Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am so proud of Jeremy! That fall in the SP would have taken a weaker minded skater out of the Olympics. Jeremy finished his SP and today he delivered a clean LP. It was quadless, but it was beautiful to watch. This is the LP that had mesmerized me in San Jose at the US nationals. That Jeremy returned today. I wish him the very best at the world championships.
    I can't believe he was able to finish after that crash in the SP, never mind skate cleanly. THAT is toughness! To all those bashing him after the team SP, take that! I'm glad he finished on a high note. The flack he was getting really rubbed me the wrong way. The poor guy had to skate after Plushenko. If that wasn't enough, it was at the Olympics in RUSSIA! That would throw anyone off.

I think the press and his bashers owe him a big apology, but they won't apologize. I've always enjoyed Jeremy's skating, it's pure quality. All the best to him. He may not come off well all the time but these skaters are human. Sometimes they slip up and lash out.

vCash
    I think Jeremy discovered himself at these Olympics, sort of life Pau Wylie discovered himself in Albertville, but in a different way. He did not win a medal but he found his own strength. I hope he goes to worlds in March, and just skates the way he is capable of.

vCash
    I think Jeremy discovered himself at these Olympics, sort of life Pau Wylie discovered himself in Albertville, but in a different way. He did not win a medal but he found his own strength. I hope he goes to worlds in March, and just skates the way he is capable of.
    If he opts to go to Worlds, I hope he skates lights out & silences the naysayers. If he decides to retire right now, my hats off to him for not giving up on himself for the short program & free skate.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    It really would be the perfect revenge F-U story to his critics: consummately labeled choker phoenix continues his rise from the ashes by claiming a World gold medal leaving the skating world stunned and amazed. Hooray for underdogs!! I'm a sucker . . . I can't help but root for them. A fan can dream, right?

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It really would be the perfect revenge F-U story to his critics: consummately labeled choker phoenix continues his rise from the ashes by claiming a World gold medal leaving the skating world stunned and amazed. Hooray for underdogs!! I'm a sucker . . . I can't help but root for them. A fan can dream, right?

In my own little universe, that's precisely the way I'd have it play out.

vCash
    If Jeremy does indeed go to Worlds, I want him to have two performances he can be proud of and feel great about.

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott's skates were as courageous as anything I have ever seen in sports. I hope he is selected to carry the U.S. flag at the closing ceremonies.

vCash
    I applaud Jeremy for going off!

Gets to a point when you are continually berated that you have to stand up for yourself.

vCash
    If Jeremy is going to continue on to Worlds- Save some money and fire the Sports Psychologist (who doesn't seem to be helping). Follow the Tom Z Psych out approach (remember he had cutouts of competitors up in the World Arena) and put cut outs of negative journalists up at DSC. That way Jeremy (and perhaps Chan) can do some trash talking as they warm up, and aim some choreo or jumps at the cutouts.

vCash
    You are a hero Jeremy..

vCash
    Very proud of Jeremy on his come back in the SP and great LP.
    I must say, that even with the unfortunate fall, his SP was one of my favorites of the night.

vCash
    Good, Jeremy! The media can be really insensitive sometimes, and he needs to let off steam. No one is perfect. He made it to the Olympics twice, something his bashers will never do

vCash
    Hi,
    I've been following Jeremy's career inasmuch as one can given the media's total scrutiny of him. The narrative before his individual performance was all about his "disappointing 9th place finish" in Vancouver.

And the same bunch are now talking about "Jason Brown's impressive 9th place finish in his first Olympics."

Has this double standard always been plaguing him? If so, I wonder how much this has contributed to his mental problems. If enough people tell you you're a disappointment, you're going to start believing it... I don't care how strong your head is.

(That said, I was very glad about his middle finger comment... that seemed like a long time coming.)

vCash
    He seems to be a target of the media, especially after he "choked" during the Team SP (when he had to skate after PLUSHENKO. I like Brown, but to say his finish was impressive and Abbott's 9th was disappointing is a double standard. Was Abbott considered a medal hopeful for 2010? Brown didn't skate particularly well.

I'm glad he blasted the media, harping on his finish in Sochi because it was one of the lowest finishes by a US man ever. Did they miss his heroic comeback in the SP?

vCash
    I don't think it's a double standard. At 2010 Nationals Jeremy beat the reigning WC by a mile and there was a lot of talk about Jeremy being in the gold medal mix - fans thought maybe Jeremy had left his competition demons behind him. Then came the Olympics and Jeremy buried himself into 15th place after the short. A so-so skate enabled him to climb into ninth overall. But had he skated at or near his ability he would likely have won the OGM, or at least have podiumed.

Jason was kind of a surprise addition to the Olympic team inasmuch as his higher Nationals finish prior to 2014 was eighth. He doesn't have a quad or even the steadiest of triple axels, so nobody really expected him to medal here. For a youngster in his first year of competing senior internationally he did well for himself.

So no, not a double standard at all.

I'm not sorry Jeremy made it to Sochi though, he and Jason are the US men I adore the most these days, and the ones I wanted to see skate...medal or no medal.

vCash
    ^^ OK, thanks for clarifying. I couldn't remember if Abbott was considered a medal favourite in Vancouver or not.

vCash
    Yes, that makes sense. (Though I still bristle at how he's treated by the media these days. Christine Brennan's twitter feed during the team even was just inhuman, not to mention unprofessional)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oedipamaas View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. (Though I still bristle at how he's treated by the media these days. Christine Brennan's twitter feed during the team even was just inhuman, not to mention unprofessional)
    Oh, the way the media and people on message boards treated him was disgusting. Twisting his words, bashing him for not being perfect, mocking his failrues. Then criticizing him for lashing out. Gee, ever look in the mirror?

vCash
    Well, here's this Olympic perspective from the inimitable Dick Button, in his recent book:

Most of us don't face moments like those an Olympic skater faces. For example, there's that moment when the pressure is frightening and years of work culminate in one performance that lasts only a few minutes. It is then that the souffle must souffle! ... How does one best prepare for that moment? One's personal experience may be the best guide with which to start.

Dick goes on to comment in this same chapter, appropriately entitled: To Wilt, Or Not to Wilt?

No one thought of 'imagining' that we would win. Nor did we 'visualize' the program. It was instead, a matter of remembering a specific position for each move. Gustave Lussi had taught us multiple positions for each move ... By the time competition came around, these had been culled down to remembering one specific position that would simplify yet focus our concentration and ignite total muscle memory.

ETA:
    Dick also discusses the fact that many brilliant skaters trip up at inopportune moments, including himself. He offers examples, personal anecdotes and advice. Says Dick:

...Ultimately, a skater's best weapon against wilting or continuing to wilt: finding the unique thing, or combination of things that will keep that particular skater's mind and body attuned, relaxed, and ready for anything. Because on ice, anything goes -- and usually does!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-17-2014 at 01:42 AM.

vCash
    I hope he goes to Worlds and medals. Is that realistic?

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast