Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sergei Grinkov: the skater who didnítí enjoy skating

After a thread for Arthur, I thought about starting one for Sergei.

Itís quite interesting to think that Sergei achieved so much in figure skating, and he didnít even enjoy skating during his amateur career. If I remember correctly he started to enjoy skating later during SOI and the pro-competitions.

Sergei initially wanted to become a single skater, but he was paired up with Katia. He was not happy about it and complained that he was too difficult to lift Katia.

He didnít take training seriously and would skip many sessions, so much that a kind of ďinterventionĒ was held at Sergeiís house where the parents talked to him about his future in this sport.

Sergei as well as Katia, hated Zhuk. But Sergei would talk back to him, and wouldnít follow his orders.
    Sergei wanted to quit skating after 1988 or 1989, but the federation gave him a small flat to keep him motivated.

Sergei was a perfectionist, who could learn a new choreography very quickly. After skating so nervously in 1994, he wanted to come back for the Olympics in 1998 in order to skate a flawless program. Sergei didnítí like the way he skated and wouldnít answer Katiaís questions ďhow did we do the jumpsĒ while they were still on the Olympic ice soon after their gold performance.
    Extract from the Philadelphia Inquirer: When the performance was over, the couple hugged and whispered. What did they whisper? "I ask Sergei if he make mistakes," Gordeeva said. "He said yes."

Although the media kept talking about their love story on and off the ice, Sergei didnít like to skate to anything that would look phoney, so if the choreography would look too much likeÖmmmh letís say ďlove storyĒ, he would not have skated.

Sergei was also a great sportsmanship who believed in honesty. For example, although he was a bit jealous of Christopher Bowman for giving too much attention to Katia, he never thought about a knee-whacking attack.

This is a video dedicated to him
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vadS3Jx6Yy4

vCash
    This is an interview from a Russian Magazine from 1994, I hope you enjoy it

INTERVIEW WITH SERGEI GRINKOV
    You and Ekaterina made an amateur comeback for the '94 Olympics and won gold again in Lillehammer. Then you turned pro again immediately--is your feeling good about this?
    Sergei: Yes, I feel good that we were able to win another gold medal, but I do like pro and show skating much better at this point in our career, so I do feel good about the way things happened.

Do you feel sorry for the younger skaters who either weren't able to make teams because pro teams reinstated or didn't medal because of your return?
    Sergei: No, because Katya and I won our first gold medal in Calgary when we were very young. The young teams at Lillehammer weren't good enough to win and weren't ready for the competition of the pros who returned. The best wins, young or old.

What did you and Ekaterina have to do differently in training to prepare for a return to amateur and Olympics?
    Sergei: We just had to start practicing the hard moves more than before when just skating for pro competitions and shows--that's all.

Who pushed you into skating?
    Sergei: My parents.

You and Katya started skating together when you were 15 and she was 11. How did the love happen?
    Sergei: We had a serious relationship; it wasn't love before, but we respected each other and liked each other as people. If we did not feel this way, the love would have never been able to come and grow. The love just happened slowly, starting around the time of the '88 Olympics and we feel like spending much time together and, by the end of the year, we were ready to start a different type of relationship. And without our love for each other, we couldn't have reached the level of sport we are presently at.

What makes your relationship work?
    Sergei: There is no leader in the family--we each know what we need to do, our responsibilities, and do them. And respect, there is a great respect between us and, of course, great love for each other.

What are Katya's responsibilities?
    Sergei: Katya is good at keeping the house and cooking, which she loves to do. Katya organizes everything. I do some cooking and do help her around the house and fix things. The most important responsibilities are the emotional needs, and we both know what the other one needs, whatever situation it is.

Do you see Katya as an ideal woman?
    Sergei: Ideal for me--yes, definitely! But I don't want people to think we are perfect. Both Katya and I understand that we each have faults, but we take each other as we are. I would not change one thing about her--take her just as she is.

Do you ever regret or complain about your choice of Katya?
    Sergei: Absolutely not, such a stupid question. I love my wife very much and couldn't be happier with my choice. In fact, we never argue because nothing is so important and everything is wonderful. And when we have free time away from training and performing, I don't want to do things with anyone but Katya and Dasha. Katya and I are always, always together and that's how I like it--how we like it.

vCash
    I do some cooking and do help her around the house and fix things.
    That's funny because in Katia's book she said Sergei attempted to cook only once - toast and coffee - and it was a disaster.

I don't know if Sergei ever really enjoyed skating. His commitment to it grew as he got older, but I think that's only because he realized that it was his career, like it or not, and he needed to support his family.

vCash
    Wow, I never knew that Sergei didn't like skating. I would say that Sergei Grinkov and Artur Dmitriev were the two best male pairs partners of all time - both very different, but both brilliant in their own way. Sergei was amazing - strong but gentle and balletic at the same time. He always allowed Katia to stand out and he presented her beautifully. Even in interviews, he usually remained quiet and let Katia speak. He came across as such a gentleman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Wow, I never knew that Sergei didn't like skating. I would say that Sergei Grinkov and Artur Dmitriev were the two best male pairs partners of all time - both very different, but both brilliant in their own way. Sergei was amazing - strong but gentle and balletic at the same time. He always allowed Katia to stand out and he presented her beautifully. Even in interviews, he usually remained quiet and let Katia speak. He came across as such a gentleman.
    Sergei didn't want to speak english in interviews, it was not his native language and didn't feel comfortable in english (it's in Katia's book). That explains.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    When I watched them on TV (not taped), of course my eye always gravitated to her. But after his death, I rewatched my tapes of many programs focusing on him. How beautiful he was.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Zhuk was apparently scared of Sergei, unlike his other students who were all scared of him. Katia mentions in her book seeing Zhuk hitting Anna Kondrashova (who he also coached) after she missed some jumps in practice and he went to get Sergei, and Zhuk was gone when she and Sergei got back. I guess Zhuk knows he was going to get the stuffing beat out of him for hitting Anna once Sergei got back so he ran.

Who was their 2nd coach in 1994. I know Zoueva was their main coach by then, but it looks like it isnt Leonovich but someone else.

vCash
    Wow this is such an eye opening for me. Sergei always struck me as being very shy and very private. I'm surprised that he opened up that much. They were such a great couple and I remember a comment made by some commentator that their hearts beat as one. When he passed away from a heart attack I thought how devastating it was for Katia as if her heart must have stopped beating as well. His death definitely left a big void in our world. Thanks for starting this thread. An homage to Sergei.
    Last edited by nguyhm; 04-10-2014 at 08:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    Wow this is such an eye opening for me. Seigei always struck me as being very shy and very private. I'm surprised that he opened up that much. They were such a great couple and I remember a comment made by some commentator that their hearts beat as one. When he passed away from a heart attack I thought how devastating it was for Katia as if her heart must have stopped beating as well. His death definitely left a big void in our world. Thanks for starting this thread. An homage to Sergei.
    Actually it was the opposite. Katia was the shy, introverted person and Sergei was very outgoing- off the ice. On the ice he chose to stay in the background so he could present Katia and make her the star. He was totally devoted to her.

vCash
    I read somewhere that Zhuk tried to give Katia some unwanted attention (a la Morozov) and she complained to the Russian Federation. She wasn't the only girl to complain about him and some people were surprised he wasn't in prison. He was an amazing coach though and I always felt so sad how he ended up

vCash
    I am always glad when people step up and speak out against pigs such as those. I wish more would do it with Morozov and Zhulin, especialy Morozov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I am always glad when people step up and speak out against pigs such as those. I wish more would do it with Morozov and Zhulin, especialy Morozov.
    I think the difference is Katia was underage and those were UNWANTED advances whereas teenage girls fall for Morozov's and Zhulin's "charms". Also Zoeva had a lot to do with Zhuk's downfall from what I read. She made Katia and some other girls speak up.

vCash
    According to Katia's book, she was too young for Zhuk to take an interest in sexually, but she saw it happen to the older girls. Marina Zoueva engineered the coup to overthrow Zhuk, and she pressured Katia to testify to the Russian Federation about his abusiveness, which she did. I think Sergei had been more on the receiving end of Zhuk's abuse than Katia because Katia was such a star pupil and so perfect, but that also made the Federation more inclined to listen to her.

vCash
    Anyway about Sergei... He always struck me as the perfect man - beautiful, mild mannered, but strong, hardworking, and devoted to his family. He looked like a real "protector" of his wife and daughter, on and off the ice.

I don't know if I should bring up in this thread that Pasha Grishuk once said that Katia was seeing Zhulin on the side and that Sergei liked to drink and didn't follow the regime. I hope it's another one of Pasha's fantasies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    According to Katia's book, she was too young for Zhuk to take an interest in sexually, but she saw it happen to the older girls. Marina Zoueva engineered the coup to overthrow Zhuk, and she pressured Katia to testify to the Russian Federation about his abusiveness, which she did. I think Sergei had been more on the receiving end of Zhuk's abuse than Katia because Katia was such a star pupil and so perfect, but that also made the Federation more inclined to listen to her.
    Ahh thank you. I didn't know it happened that way, I read that Katia was one of his "victims" but I'm sure her book must be more accurate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I think the difference is Katia was underage and those were UNWANTED advances whereas teenage girls fall for Morozov's and Zhulin's "charms". Also Zoeva had a lot to do with Zhuk's downfall from what I read. She made Katia and some other girls speak up.
    That is true. Women who are young adults and are stupid enough to sleep with Morozov and Zhulin, well they take alot of the blame themselves I guess for being such idiots.

vCash
    I remember seeing sometime during the 94 season when they returned to amateur competition, they were getting ready to compete and while waiting he was fixing her hair. It was soooo cute. He did look like a protector. There was also an interview about the incident when they went back to Moscow to train and there was some political coup with an attempt to topple the government and Sergei said that he was very worried for his family. He was definitely very devoted. Katia had too much class to have anything to do with Zhulin although I think Sergei and he were friends.

vCash
    Sergei and Artur Dmitriev were very good friends. Artur once said in an interview that both Katia's and Sergei's parents approached him at Sergei's funeral and asked him to skate with Katia from now on. Also, Tatiana Tarasova and apparently many in the Russian Fed wanted him to partner up with Katia. Artur refused because he couldn't allow himself to skate with his friend's wife. He said that he only once appeared with Katia on the ice at a stars on ice show he organised in St Petersburg, but it was only for one number. Artur said: "It was all I could permit myself to do." Both these men were such gentlemen. The new guard of male skaters doesn't compare

vCash
    Artur also signalled Gordeeva in the crowd after he won his 2nd OGM with Kazahkova, and the camera zoomed in on her and she was so excited for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Artur also signalled Gordeeva in the crowd after he won his 2nd OGM with Kazahkova, and the camera zoomed in on her and she was so excited for him.
    Yes! That was the best part of K&D's performance that night

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast