vCash

Casual Cocktail Attire For A Man

My husband has been invited to a client's Christmas dinner. It is a catered affair and the invitation specified casual cocktail attire. What does this mean for a man? Obviously no jeans, but should he wear a tie?

vCash
    According to one of the posters on this, it means no tie:

http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/19644.page

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Since it's a client's dinner, I'd tend to err on the side of more formal than less. Maybe a jacket and tie, but not a formal business suit (well, if I were a man, I mean)? I wouldn't say a tie is absolutely necessary, and it might depend on other factors (what is the culture of the client's company, where is the party), but I'd probably feel better having one (that he could take off if nobody else is wearing one). I wouldn't want to be dressed less formally than the client contact who invited me.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    This would vary based on region, but in much of the US, this would mean a long sleeved collared shirt, a jacket, slacks, and no tie. But as another said, I'd wear a tie, as you can always take it off - and otherwise, you do risk being underdressed compared to your clients, which is a real no-no.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Quadless
    vCash
    Under no circumstances does "casual" within the U.S. ever mean a tie.

Standard men's casual cocktail attire for business functions in my neck of the woods (and I'm talking about conservative companies: black, dark grey or dark brown dress slacks (no chinos or Dockers!), dark knit shirt or fine-gage knit sweater, and a blazer or jacket. Dress slip ons or lace ups.

ETA: So basically, what makes the total outfit casual is what's on under the jacket (and what isn't - i.e., no tie). The rest of the outfit should be dressy.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence