Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOy-_1xbRtc

Ha ha, I love Johnny's "grand" entrance and how it was timed with one of the band's raising high of his guitar. Pretty cool, and also quite clear to me that Johnny was having an absolutely enjoyable time skating live to the music of this ancient "unhip" golden oldie (yet still rockin') group.

Johnny's often cheeky and sometimes wittily contrary in interviews. On the ice, he's very diva-licious and entertaining. From his more introverted exhibition performances circa 2004, to the gorgeously lyrical and sublime (Nature Boy and Ave Maria), to the personal emotion yet operatic declaration of Heartbroken, to the experimentally over-the-top fabulous-ness of Poker Face and Bad Romance, Johnny has certainly grown into his current unmistakably outrageous on-ice persona.

And now verbatim, Johnny's actual words from the Improv on Ice interview, which unsurprisingly have been misinterpreted in regard to his regard toward Styx and their music.

At 3:50 - 4:28 in the below video clip:

To be honest, I’ve never really listened to Styx music. Styx was hot pretty much before my time, so I definitely never learned about them or who they were or their music. Styx is the curve ball. A top-40 pop song, fine we hear ‘em everyday in the taxi. But Styx … Styx will be interesting. I may give them the stage for like a minute and a half, and then just kind of pop out, maybe roll around on the stage while they’re performing. I don’t know how cool they are. I don’t know how old they are. God only knows what’s going to happen today. (laughter)
    And earlier in the below video clip:

Improvising on the spot definitely lends itself to my personality... Everything is fair game for me. I am after all, me. (purses his lips in a kiss to the camera).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EW3m6bMkpms

vCash
    I may give them the stage for like a minute and a half, and then just kind of pop out, maybe roll around on the stage while they’re performing. I don’t know how cool they are. I don’t know how old they are. God only knows what’s going to happen today.
    Sounds like a petulant preteen. Ewww, like, I might just show up late in the number and not even bother to skate, because the musicians might be old and uncool.

vCash
    I would have felt a bit more tolerant about Johnny's comments if he hadn't had such dreadful taste in his competitive music choices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Sounds like a petulant preteen. Ewww, like, I might just show up late in the number and not even bother to skate, because the musicians might be old and uncool.
    ^^ Sounds like a jealous snarky nonfan:
    “Ahhhh … Ewww, here’s something I can mock Johnny Fabulous about, even though it’s petty, irrelevant and pretentious of me. Forget about the fact that I’m twisting what he actually said in an entertaining made-for-television interview.”

Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    I would have felt a bit more tolerant about Johnny's comments if he hadn't had such dreadful taste in his competitive music choices.
    As if they were his choices ... None of the competitors picked their own music. They were assigned specific selections a couple of hours before taping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr8Aw...eature=related
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-18-2012 at 07:11 PM.

vCash
    Oh he DID pick his own music when he was competing. I think that's what missing meant. He had no choice the other night though.

As for his comments about Styx, I 'm sure he meant no disrespect to them. He rattles off the top of his head and sometimes he's more successful than others lol. He's usually very supportive of other people. (maybe one exception lol) I can see why heckles could take what he said as a diss but I think what he said is being miscontrued. The Styx guys seemed to like him anyway. After he performed they all clapped and the keyboard player can be seen saying "Oh my God!"

vCash
    If you have a sense of humor, a capacity for tolerance, a love for wonderful skating, an understanding of the ridiculous nature of life and the fantastic ironies of fs, how can you help but love Johnny, or at the very least enjoy watching him and listening to him?

Thanks for your input REO. I doubt Johnny picked every single piece of music he skated to in his competitive career, especially early on. I agree I didn't like or understand all of his music choices particularly his not going with Liebestraum circa 2005 - 2006, and the choices for 2008 - 2009 season. Hey, but many of the early choices and some of the later choices were great (Dr. Zhivago, Valse Triste, Otonal, Rondo Capriccioso, The Swan, Love Is War), and especially many of the selections for his exhibitions were imaginative and quite successful (e.g., Imagine, My Way, Nature Boy, Ave Maria).
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-18-2012 at 08:21 PM.

vCash
    I didn't read anything into Johnny's comments other than he wasn't familiar with Styx and didn't know what to expect. Styx was probably thinking the same thing about the skaters.

vCash
    ^^ This!

Great event. Great cast. Fun music. Subpar but business as usual camera coverage/ editing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I didn't read anything into Johnny's comments other than he wasn't familiar with Styx and didn't know what to expect. Styx was probably thinking the same thing about the skaters.
    LOL. I'd bet that Styx didn't know who any of the skaters were. I don't imagine they're figure skating fans. It looked like both the skaters and the Styx guys were pleasantly surprised at how it all worked. I really enjoyed this show.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456