Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Thanks paskatefan and skatesindreams! Yes, I remember that it was Robin's original concept, but I don't recall how different it was from recent shows. Can either of you enlighten further?

BTW, paskatefan, is there a youtube clip of Todd skating to that song? I'd love to see it, as I don't recall seeing it before.
    In the earlier improv show(s) the music was across the boards. I remember Nancy getting a classical piece and Nancy hated classical music, but she did a great job with it. I loved yesterday's show, terrific cast, but I could have done without Styx and the "top 40". I would have preferred a more eclectic musical selection.

vCash
    I couldn't watch it all (at ice rink). Did anyone skate to "Come Sail Away"?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    If I remember correctly, originally (1998) Robin would select the music himself and give it to the skaters only a few hours before the show.
    Lots of listening and frantic backstage activity would ensue.

Sometimes he would make "offbeat" choices to see what would happen.
    At others, it would be music he had always wanted to see a given performer use.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 01-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I couldn't watch it all (at ice rink). Did anyone skate to "Come Sail Away"?
    They all did: it was the finale.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    This was done LIVE.

Sasha Cohen - 2000 Improv'Ice (Invocation)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo9ejMJKpo

Just beautiful!
    I'm sure the motivation for the music choice fit the second category, in this case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    In the earlier improv show(s) the music was across the boards.
    I preferred that format, too. The music didn't all sound so similar, and there was a chance that some skaters would really have to stretch themselves.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    This was done LIVE.

Sasha Cohen - 2000 Improv'Ice (Invocation)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHo9ejMJKpo

Just beautiful!
    I'm sure the motivation for the music choice fit the second category, in this case.
    Wow! That was mesmerizing.

vCash
    I think that it was one of the best programs I've seen - under any circumstances.
    I wonder what Robin thought?

vCash
    I think Robin would have been impressed with how the skaters rose to the challenge.

The only problem is that I don't know who to vote for. Especially since each skater did 2 numbers.

vCash
    Voting is open @ the Disson Skating site. You can vote once a day through 1/3//12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Styx wasn't bad for a bunch of old fogies.
    Yeah, and of course Johnny Whine had to point out how un-hip (he thinks) Styx is, so unworthy of his fabulosity. Ewww, he had to skate to Styx, that band he hears when he rides in a taxi.

Yeah, let's see if people are still enjoying your work 40 years from now, John-Boy.

vCash
    Johnny wins this, hands down. Nobody came close, IMO.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    This is only the THIRD Improv? No way. I remember these events happening for at least a dozen years, e.g., Philippe Candeloro's hilarious x-rated number at the very first improv...which was LIVE, so the FCC could not pull the plug on it, LOL!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I can only find Johnny's performance on Disson's youtube channel. Are the other performances up there and I'm just missing them?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I can only find Johnny's performance on Disson's youtube channel. Are the other performances up there and I'm just missing them?
    There are short recap videos for all 8 skaters on the voting page: http://www.dissonskating.com/2011/12/improv-ice-voting/

"One vote per person per day.
    Voting ends on January 31st, 2012.
    The “Best Improv-Ice Skater” will be announced during Pandora Unforgettable Moments of Love on Ice on Saturday, February 4, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. EST on NBC."

vCash
    thanks!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Yeah, and of course Johnny Whine had to point out how un-hip (he thinks) Styx is, so unworthy of his fabulosity. Ewww, he had to skate to Styx, that band he hears when he rides in a taxi.

Yeah, let's see if people are still enjoying your work 40 years from now, John-Boy.
    I don't think he meant it as a diss of Styx. You have to remember a person now in their twenties was a baby when Styx was popular. What's popular now will be considered "un-hip" in the 2030s.

That being said, Styx are still a really tight band. They still sound as good live as when they WERE a top 40 group. Not alot of bands can say the same. JMO of course, but I thought they sounded great.

vCash
    OMG, will wonders never cease, there was Johnny Weir with a naturally well padded butt, he looked totally healthy, not sickeningly skinny. Skated great! Marriage must agree with him.

Nicole gets second best comeback, but Sasha still astonishes. And sweet little Mirai looked happy to be with skating friends, I think she might be lonely without Evan. Jeremy looks confident, that's a very very good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    I don't think he meant it as a diss of Styx. You have to remember a person now in their twenties was a baby when Styx was popular. What's popular now will be considered "un-hip" in the 2030s.
    Depends on how open-minded the person is. A person born in the '80s can have a thing for '60s music or even '40s swing music. The teenagers in the Contemporary Youth Orchestra are considerably younger than Weir, but they clearly enjoyed performing with Styx.

vCash
    I loved seeing Johnny skating to something outside of his comfort zone! He should skate to Freddy Mercury & Queen !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast