Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Patrick Chan's mouth is "The Gift that Keeps on Giving"!
    Yes. A nice early Christmas present for the rabid.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I really do believe that his stream of consciousness was misconstrued.

For some reason people who have been left behind in the old country look at those who have left either as traitors and money worshippers or envy them as they think they are on easy street.

It is likely that Patrick was just trying to explain that just because he was World Champion it does not mean he is on easy street and his parents have to work hard and sacrifice etc.

I agree though that he needs some PR and sensitivity training. Though sometimes his candour is refreshing.
    We could always blame it on the translator..ala Maria Bute..Patrick is tri-lingual, isn't he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukari Lepisto View Post
    Exactly. He got to where he is now because he's born in Canada. His parents are from Canton, China, which is the southern china.
    I thought at least one of his parents was from Hong Kong?

Anyway, the funny thing about Chan's comments is that he was humming and hawing about whether to compete after 2010. If he were in the Chinese system he wouldn't be allowed to retire until after the 2022 Olympic Games like poor old Chenjing Li!

Just noticed the Globe & Mail article is the #1 most popular story on their website.
    Last edited by Rafter; 12-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I don't think the original article is confusing. He said what he said. If you don't like the guy you are going to read it in the way that supports your opinion. If you love the guy you will read it in the way that supports your opinion.

If you don't hate him or love him you will see it for what it is.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post

Just noticed the Globe & Mail article is the #1 most popular sports story on their website.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Chan

According to wikipedia, both of his parents are from Hong Kong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    . But I think he was as ignorant of the real facts as those dogs in this thread who want to gnaw him to death because they think he just wants to be famous to satisfy his ego. I find that more than his foot in his mouth.
    I actually don't blame Patrick for being frustrated that he's World Champion (and dominant) and is struggling to support his own skating, I don't even blame him for speaking about it. I don't think its selfish to want to make a living at your sport.

But he really could phrase things better and the fact is he wouldn't be Patrick Chan if he grew up in the Chinese sports system as many mentioned he might not even be a skater.

I blame though the older people in his life for not teaching him about filters earlier because I suspect his words may not help his cause. This is in many ways on the Canadian federation who didn't put a filter on Chan a lot sooner.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post

Anyway, the funny thing about Chan's comments is that he was humming and hawing about whether to compete after 2010. If were in the Chinese system he wouldn't be allowed to retire until after the 2022 Olympic Games like poor old Chenjing Li!

Just noticed the Globe & Mail article is the #1 most popular sports story on their website.
    Not surprising when the their writer starts off with
    Figure skating world champion Patrick Chan has startled the skate world with remarks in an interview slamming Canada for its attitude toward skaters and reflecting on whether he could skate for China.
    Nothing riles up the home crowd more than daring to suggest something somewhere else might be better. Most of the feedback want him on a slow boat to China.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/071220...ed-worlds.html
    "Several years ago I felt more Canadian but I'm slowly feeling more Chinese and feel I should be more proud of being Chinese and appreciate where I've come from. (This is because) of the support I get from the Chinese community in Canada," Chan, who is fluent in English, French and Cantonese, said as he took a break from his intensive training schedule.

"I do (wish I could have represented both China and Canada when I compete). That would be the ideal situation... in a perfect world."
    Trapped Between Two Worlds? Who is he, Han Suyin? How melodramatic !!

Trapped Between Two Worlds, Starring Patrick Chan and ______________(insert name of b/c-list actress here, preferably Canadian)

Is it true that he's not getting props like Stojko and Browning? Isn't their medal count on the national and international scene a little higher than his?

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Oh well. I don't dislike the guy. I'm not offended as a Canadian by the original interview (Globe and Mail sensationalist crap aside). I love the way he skates and wish him all the best this weekend. May those panties fly

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Trapped Between Two Worlds? Who is he, Han Suyin? How melodramatic !!

Trapped Between Two Worlds, Starring Patrick Chan and ______________(insert name of b/c-list actress here, preferably Canadian)
    Sarah Polley, perhaps? If this were the Eighties, we could be sure that Donald Sutherland and Colleen Dewhurst would have supporting roles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post

Sarah Polley, perhaps? If this were the Eighties, we could be sure that Donald Sutherland and Colleen Dewhurst would have supporting roles.
    Colleen would be the old and wizened grandma, made up to look like Gale Sondergaard in The Letter.

vCash
    I think I'm going to wait for clarification from Patrick before I pass judgement. This interview was conducted a while ago and with an international journalist. These very well could be taken out of context, I can't honestly think he's bitter about representing Canada.

That being said, yes he has made some comments in the past, but I've met him and he's quite down to earth and friendly. He could be speaking about his parents heritage, and so of course he would wonder what it's like to compete for China, again though, when he's the face of the organization (along with V/M of course), I think there is a certain standard to which he is upheld and rightly so, this doesn't help that when he is opently musing about competing for another country and feeling unappreciated in Canada.

Though what I think Patrick is maybe still a bit young, to realize that skating in Canada isn't what it used to be. The skating fans here absolutely adore Patrick and appreciate him. But skating here just doesn't fill up arenas like it used to in the early to mid 90's. These days when we can get arena with 6,000 people and up that's considered a success, back in the days of Browning and Stojko arenas with 10,000 + were consistent and skaters were treated like rockstars, so I can understand him being envious. However, when the last of these skaters retired, and the judging system changed, alot of casual fans just walked away because their favorites weren't competing anymore and they didn't (and still don't) understand the way COP works. I know that's the case with my mom and a lot of other skating fans I know.

I do think there is a bit of naievity in those comments of course, but I'm going to wait and get clarification from him before I pass judgement on the remarks.

I can't imagine Skate Canada is too happy right now, actually my guess is they're probably fuming at the moment.
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    It's too bad Patrick has never performed in any of the Canadian shows or tours as Canada's other top eligible skaters have always done. He might be pleasantly surprised at the response he'd receive if he did.
    Really. I understand wanting to take breaks and spend time with his family, and it sounds like he's had a great time the last two summers, but, in general, being beloved for a figure skater requires doing the tours or starting your own show and touring it (and/or having it televised).

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Chan needs to read, The Second Mark (section on Shen and Zhao), and Lucinda Ruh's Frozen Teardrop. He also needs to speak with Chen Lu and other retired former Chinese figure skaters about the "sacrifices" required of them and their parents by the Chinese federation, not to mention the Chinese government.
    While I would never argue that Chinese skaters don't make sacrifices now, Shen/Zhao and Chen Lu were a different generation, and they've been responsible for popularizing the sport, and, in the case of Chen Lu, establishing herself in China as a coach, to pass on her knowledge. The number of rinks and high-level coaching is expanding, and skaters are no longer dependent on one or two top coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukari Lepisto View Post
    Exactly. He got to where he is now because he's born in Canada.
    In Canada he got to choose skating. He didn't have to be selected, and he could have continued had he not shown early promise. In China he would not have been trained by Osbourne Colson, key to his extraordinary edge quality, and he certainly wouldn't be training with Dartfish. When he was up-and-coming, as opposed to an established athlete, he would not have choreography by world class choreographers, and he would have been skating his Free Skate to the "Yellow River Concerto" for two years, a rite of passage for Chinese skaters, had he been one of the very few who was chosen at a young age to skate competitively, which is a bit of a needle in a hay stack.

So, yes, if everything had gone exactly according to a fantasy plan: he knew he wanted to skate, he was chosen by the Chinese skating people, he managed to work with a coach who taught him superior edges and glide, he got input into his music and good choreography from an early age, he excelled and thrived in the system, etc. etc., it would have been cheaper for his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Most N.American skaters (that's from USA & Canada) have roots in another country/culture. Nothing unusual about what Chan is feeling. Do you think (for example) Michelle Kwan or Naomi Nari Nam did not feel caught between two cultures? They did not go public with their feelings.
    Ever since I've moved to Canada I've been hearing about the Canadian Mosaic, where people appreciate the various aspects of themselves. From Chan's limited comments in the article -- front page of the Sports section of today's print edition -- that doesn't seem to have taken with him.

Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    During the Orser/Kurt/Elvis years I'd say there was much more public interest and recognition.
    Even casual skating fans know that these three skated when skating popularity was at an all-time high, and there were extensive opportunities for them to compete and tour as professionals.

For someone as smart as he is, Chan can be so dumb.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Chan has to know that skating isn't as popular now compared to the Browning and Stojko days. Also those guys won multiple world titles whereas Chan only has one.

It's true that the Chinese-Canadian community has done a lot of fundraising for Chan but I seem to recall that before the Olympic season, Paul Godrey or some other Canadian businessman did a big fundraiser in Toronto for Chan that netted him $60K or something (there was an article in Macleans about it). He also has a McDonalds deal and appeared in ads for Harry Rosen (high end mens retailer in Canada) and was supported by B210. So it's not like he hasn't received any support outside of the Chinese-Cdn community.

The unfortunate thing for Chan is that these comments (whether mis-quoted or not) will probably affect his sponsorship opportunities leading up to 2014.

living every minute
    vCash
    His parents financial outlay wasn't only for skating. He atteneded the elite private The Toronto French School for high school (an perhaps before). That's big $$ in itself. And definitely a choice as there are French immersion public schools around the city.

Agree about this affecting his sponsorship future. How many Canadian companies will want to take a chance on an athlete - however successful - who says he may just disregard his citizenship and go compete for another country?
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I think I'm going to wait for clarification from Patrick before I pass judgement. This interview was conducted a while ago and with an international journalist. These very well could be taken out of context, I can't honestly think he's bitter about representing Canada.
    M-kay, but ... more often than not, Chan's "clarification" of prior comments is even more than the original.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I think it's all much ado about nothing. The journalist who wrote the Globe & Mail article is a right shit-stirring hack.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Randy Starkman of the Toronto Star weighs in: Patrick Chan said nothing wrong – in fact he’s dead right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I'm amazed that the weight of this kid's ego allows him to walk upright, much less skate.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Just curious, as you seem to be in the know What is the "different feeling" exactly that Chinese fans have about Chan vs Kwan or Zhang?
    Based on limited reading of chinese message boards, much more negative vibes in general toward Chan compared to the usual national pride and goodwill for elite skaters of Chinese heritage. I do not know the exact cause, but overscoring and ego issues are often mentioned.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast