Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I wonder if he realizes the degree of freedom he'd have to give up for being an elite athlete for China. Shen/Zhao didn't even sleep in the same dorms after they were married because they were still training. He wouldn't see his family for long periods of time and the only thing pushing him forward would be the idea of doing it for the nation, but from his comments in the article, he wouldn't be motivated for very long.

vCash
    My sense is that Patrick thinks emotionally and just expresses whatever reflection or introspection comes to him at that the moment.

I like that about him at times, at other times I don't care.

What I like about Patrick is his skating. I don't believe for a minute that he is only just doing it for his own satisfaction.

If is, he has very talented competitors that will be happy to seize the moment in order to win a medal.

Yes, he has a big ego. And his musings about China versus Canada are forgivable given how young he is.

But he's sure not the first skater with a big ego. In fact, I think it's hard to become a world champion without one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The comment that strikes me as sad is,

Chan: "I barely have any interest any more in how well I do in competitions."

Well, why should he??? This is why I happen to think the judges are absolutely doing him no favors by continuing to score him high marks when he makes many mistakes in his programs. How can you have any frame of reference for improving when you pretty much realize that no matter if you skate clean or wobble on footwork and fall on 2 or 3 jumps, you still have the competition in the bag.
    I agree with you. To me he almost sounded bored to compete and when you don't have that passion anymore it will eventually show on the ice. It must have become a bit frustrating to not have any true competitors and to realize that you can skate however you like and the judges will reward on it anyways.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Maybe instead of flinging "Panties for Patrick"...someone could throw a copy of "The Second Mark"..What Shen and Zhou endured went far beyond sleeping apart as a married couple..Their training conditions as children were deplorable..

Anyway, I still love his skating and I like him...but sometimes...

vCash
    Oh, Patrick. What would a Canadian figure skating event be without some controversial remark from you? I love Patrick, and he is solely responsible for me being drawn back into figure skating again to the degree that I've just arrived in QC for GPF. I know there are many Canadian fans who feel the same. I am Canadian and I do not have a Chinese heritage. So I'm sorry to read these remarks. But I think sometimes, he speaks to someone on a certain subject, and is speaking emotionally and not really thinking about how his comments will translate when they are broadcast outside of the context in which they were given. In this case, quite poor timing for this interview to be released to the general media.

vCash
    To me, he sounds very bitter about his financial situation. He probably compared his lifestyle to the one's of Browning,Stojko...and it does not even come close yet.

vCash
    In my opinion Patrick doesn´t have a clue about what means to be a Chinese athlete. He went to China for some shows, he thought it was a cool place, the crowd received him warmly and he said: "Great!!! In Canada people are not so excited about FS!!!" A lot of skaters are more popular abroad, especially in Asia, than in their homecountries.
    He shouldn´t be so disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    To me, he sounds very bitter about his financial situation. He probably compared his lifestyle to the one's of Browning,Stojko...and it does not even come close yet.
    A part of me evilly kind of has to laugh. Wasn't a top Canadian federation official there and all encouraging when Patrick was running his mouth off about one of Joubert, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko? Now he's running his mouth about the hand that in his mind I guess doesn't feed him.

Maybe now Patrick will get media training. I can't help feeling that Chan's comments aren't exactly going to help his marketing in Canada.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I understand why many of the skaters like skating in Asia..Ross Miner was wowed this yr by the Japanese fans..and said so in an interview.Maybe the money just isn't there in Canada, I don't know, as it was for the Kurt/Elvis yrs, just as it isn't here in the US as it was during the Kwan yrs.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I understand why many of the skaters like skating in Asia..Ross Miner was wowed this yr by the Japanese fans..and said so in an interview.Maybe the money just isn't there in Canada, I don't know, as it was for the Kurt/Elvis yrs, just as it isn't here in the US as it was during the Kwan yrs.
    During the Orser/Kurt/Elvis years I'd say there was much more public interest and recognition. Always the next great one to take over the reign. Canadian men were seen to be dominating. South of the border you had American domination of ladies skating. And probably more money as well. Much more attractive for an advertiser to say "hey let's use Kurt or Michelle" to sell this lightbulb.

Chan is skating during a recession, Canadian government don't finance their athletes much (if at all) and he sees his parents struggling to fundraise for him (which iirc they do mostly in the Chinese community). So I think it's sensible for him to give a nod to his Chinese heritage because I'm pretty sure a lot of the money is coming from them. Ex-patriot communities tend to support their own whenever they can but with the recession maybe even those ties are drying up.

What he is probably regretting right now is his "stream of consciousness" in this article. And I do think that is true, it's not some spin. If this interview was done just after he returned from China then it was also just after an interview of him in China where he was met with shock that he wasn't famous and rich and the government didn't throw money at him for training and proceeded to tell him that in China everything for the athlete is paid for...

Was he ignorant of the facts of how difficult a life it could be? Absofcukinglutely! And I'm sure many will correct him. But I think he was as ignorant of the real facts as those dogs in this thread who want to gnaw him to death because they think he just wants to be famous to satisfy his ego. I find that more than his foot in his mouth.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I'm amazed that the weight of this kid's ego allows him to walk upright, much less skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This kid just can't stop saying dumb
    Agreed. When he was younger, it could be excused as the emotions of a teenager, but now that he is 20, a higher standard is expected. In addition to reconsidering the logic behind some of his positions, he should also be thinking about how his comments make him appear, not just for his own sake, but for his sport and country, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    If the intent of this thread is to create sympathy for Chan you have failed. Most N.American skaters (that's from USA & Canada) have roots in another country/culture. Nothing unusual about what Chan is feeling. Do you think (for example) Michelle Kwan or Naomi Nari Nam did not feel caught between two cultures? They did not go public with their feelings.
    Usually, proclamation of rediscovered heritage pride follow a period of heritage shame. I think thats the hidden text here behind all of this sudden Chinese pride.

I also find skate Canada's excuses and spinning interesting. He works for them. What he is basically doing is like if he was a coke exec, and gave an interview saying how much better he imagines his life would be had he gone worked for pepsi. :lol he thinks he's not getting enough attention, but in fact he's getting too much if he's forgotten who butters his bread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Agreed. When he was younger, it could be excused as the emotions of a teenager, but now that he is 20, a higher standard is expected. In addition to reconsidering the logic behind some of his positions, he should also be thinking about how his comments make him appear, not just for his own sake, but for his sport and country, too.
    ITA. Chan's made plenty of remarks over the past few years, and it's been excused by some because he's young. But he'll be 21 at the end of this month, he's a veteran competitor, and really, it's time he learned how to express himself without coming across as an entitled jerk.

vCash
    If this interview was done earlier in the summer, I seem to remember Patrick also made a comment that figure skating just isn't that popular anymore and a lot of top tier athletes like himself are still not as financially secure as they would be in the 90s or 80s.

I think this Chinese and Korean are more appreciative to their skating stars comment stem from a financial root that maybe Patrick and his family is still feeling the burden even though he is THE top male skater in the World right now and he just felt it was unfair that he couldn't be as financially secure as previous great Canadian champions like Stojko and Browning? We don't know what is the state of Chan's family and what they still have to go through to support Patrick, so I am not going to judge.

I doubt Patrick is oblivious to the fact that besides the money issue, a Chinese athlete have to sacrifice a lot more in other areas. But...grass is always greener on other people's lawn, even for the World Champion (which I think is completely normal) I do agree though that as a Patrick Chan uber, he needs to be more smart in what he wants to convey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    During the Orser/Kurt/Elvis years I'd say there was much more public interest and recognition.

.... So I think it's sensible for him to give a nod to his Chinese heritage because I'm pretty sure a lot of the money is coming from them. Ex-patriot communities tend to support their own whenever they can but with the recession maybe even those ties are drying
    During? I know that brian, Kurt and elvis have many many world and oly medals between them. Patrick has exactly one world title, but he's already supposed to be on level field with proven icons? Sounds Tara-esque.

I agree with this, which is why perhaps saying things like how grateful he is for the sacrifices his parents gave so he could grow up in Canada but have the Chinese values instilled in him. They would eat that up I'd imagine. But why would people who sacrificed so much to emigrate for what they consider a better life want to hear that they shouldnt have bothered and their kids would be better off back in the old country? He's lucky if he doesn't lose sponsors with this footinmouth interview IMO.
    Last edited by berthesghost; 12-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    During the Orser/Kurt/Elvis years I'd say there was much more public interest and recognition. Always the next great one to take over the reign. Canadian men were seen to be dominating. South of the border you had American domination of ladies skating. And probably more money as well. Much more attractive for an advertiser to say "hey let's use Kurt or Michelle" to sell this lightbulb.

Chan is skating during a recession, Canadian government don't finance their athletes much (if at all) and he sees his parents struggling to fundraise for him (which iirc they do mostly in the Chinese community). this article. And I do think that is true, it's not some spin.
    The early 90s recession was much worse in Canada than the current one. I think that the big difference is the sucess of Canadian athletes in all sports. During the Orser/Kurt/Elvis years, they were pretty much the top of all Canadian winter or summer athletes. Today, Chan is just one of many sucessful Canadian athletes, so he doesn't share the headlines the same way that Orser/Kurt/Elvis did. Regardless, these remarks will not endure him to the Canadian public.

Someone needs to teach Chan about the value of a private journal for venting feelings and fustrations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    During? I know that brian, Kurt and elvis have many many world and oly medals between them. Patrick has exactly one world medal and thats it. But he's already supposed to be on level field with proven icons? Sounds Tara-esque.
    He has three world medals, though only one of them is gold.

vCash
    I really do believe that his stream of consciousness was misconstrued.

For some reason people who have been left behind in the old country look at those who have left either as traitors and money worshippers or envy them as they think they are on easy street.

It is likely that Patrick was just trying to explain that just because he was World Champion it does not mean he is on easy street and his parents have to work hard and sacrifice etc.

I agree though that he needs some PR and sensitivity training. Though sometimes his candour is refreshing.

vCash
    Patrick Chan's mouth is "The Gift that Keeps on Giving"!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast