vCash

Monkeys get a silver in Abstract Art Olympics

The difference between abstract artists and monkey artists is less than between gold and silver figure-skating medalists

http://www.significancemagazine.org/...-Olympics.html

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Monkeys are very smart.

Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    This shows just how much of a joke the previous judging system was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This shows just how much of a joke the previous judging system was.
    It shows the contrary.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think it shows how muddled the thinking of the author is. He's comparing apples and oranges and making weird leaps of logic to come to conclusions that are somewhat arbitrary.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I think it shows how muddled the thinking of the author is. He's comparing apples and oranges and making weird leaps of logic to come to conclusions that are somewhat arbitrary.
    Perhaps you can explain using your clear like alpine spring thinking why you in some cases use this comparison to promote books

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eakonomics.jpg

and in other cases use it to dismiss the argument?

vCash
    Agreed. Judging that one painting is "better" than another and judging a skating performance using a set of definable standards are two completely different processes.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by simus View Post
    Perhaps you can explain using your clear like alpine spring thinking why you in some cases use this comparison to promote books

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eakonomics.jpg

and in other cases use it to dismiss the argument?
    WTF are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Agreed. Judging that one painting is "better" than another and judging a skating performance using a set of definable standards are two completely different processes.
    I was thinking more of when he did things like say that this process was X% better than that one when the two number sets couldn't be directly compared like that.

vCash
    WTF are you talking about?
    I am talking that the Freakonomics book is praised everywhere for comparing apples and oranges. How can you use the same expression in one case as praise and in another case as slander?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by simus View Post
    I am talking that the Freakonomics book is praised everywhere for comparing apples and oranges. How can you use the same expression in one case as praise and in another case as slander?
    Oh, you are using the "you said X about Y so you can't say A about B" logical fallacy.

And it's not "slander" to criticize an article. For one thing slander is oral, not written.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slander

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I got an F in Statistics the first time. Second time I got a D. Or maybe it was a D+? Thankfully I transferred schools and I didn't have to take it a third time, they let me take "Mathematics For Liberal Arts Majors Who Don't Get Numbers" instead. I got an A in that one.

That said, I don't know WTF this guy is talking about, but I do know I'd be more inclined to enjoy monkey art than anything some abstract expressionist hack would churn out.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Oh, you are using the "you said X about Y so you can't say A about B" logical fallacy.
    No. I am saying that after you said "X is a genius because he did Y" you can't say "Z is a fool because he did Y."

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Except (a) nobody said that and (b) you actually can say that sometimes, because circumstances and context can change whether or not something is acceptable/wise/etc.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    This thread is already better than the two statistics classes I had, I suspect the presence of monkeys in the discussion mitigates the logical torture.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Who bumps a thread a year later to continue an argument that was stupid to begin with?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Who bumps a thread a year later to continue an argument that was stupid to begin with?
    I'm guessing the author of the article.