Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    MASH's Colonel Potter passed today at the age of 96. RIP, Harry.
    I had no idea he was that old. He was one of the rare replacement characters whom I enjoyed more than I enjoyed the original. I preferred his Colonel Potter to Henry on MASH. RIP.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    R.I.P. Harry. Loved him in M*A*S*H and Inherit the Wind.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Colonel Potter was my fave on M*A*S*H.

R.I.P. Harry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Col Potter was probably his best known character, but I 1st saw and heard him as Pete Porter on the 1950s December Bride.

He had a good, long run....

RIP.

NJL (...and, thanks.......)
    One of the gimmicks in December Bride was that Pete talked about his wife Gladys in every episode, but she was never seen. Ever. I remember one episode that was promoted heavily because Gladys would finally appear. Sure enough, she did, but she was wearing a gorilla costume. A while after that show went off the air, there was a sitcom called Pete and Gladys, with Morgan and Cara Williams. Boy, I'm old.

vCash
    RIP, Mr. Morgan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Well, horse hockey.
    *EXACTLY* what I was going to say.

RIP, Colonel Potter.

vCash
    My favorite Colonel Potter quote:

"You just had to put 'Be Stupid,' FIRST on your list of things to do today!"

I think the very best episode of M*A*S*H is "Old Soldiers." This is the one where Colonel Potter learned he was the last survivor of his WWI buddies, and shared the old bottle of brandy that they'd stored for a toast to the group, with Potter's 4077th colleagues. Hawkeye and company were honored to drink the fine brandy with their friend.

vCash
    I adored that episode.
    It was wonderful that Winchester was the one to explain the meaning of "tontine" to the others; making him less ridiculous than he often appeared.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I adored that episode.
    It was wonderful that Winchester was the one to explain the meaning of "tontine" to the others; making him less ridiculous than he often appeared.
    Colonel Potter: Give that man a cheroot.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    My favorite Colonel Potter quote:

"You just had to put 'Be Stupid,' FIRST on your list of things to do today!"
    Wasn't that quote from the one where Margaret was in Tokyo at a Conference and the Col ordered BJ and Hawkeye to "buddy up" to Frank because he was driving everyone insane due to her being gone? Then after getting him drunk, they put a toe tag on him w/some true, but outlandish saying on it as a Practical Joke, and Frank ended up on a truck going up to Battalion Aid after he collapsed outside of the Latrine after using it?

That one cracks me up everytime I see it and was not that too long ago up here on our History Channel.

I think the very best episode of M*A*S*H is "Old Soldiers." This is the one where Colonel Potter learned he was the last survivor of his WWI buddies, and shared the old bottle of brandy that they'd stored for a toast to the group, with Potter's 4077th colleagues. Hawkeye and company were honored to drink the fine brandy with their friend.
    Another favourite of mine and IIRC, is also on the Top Five of all time list in a poll they did by the Fans a few years ago.

One of my very favourite Col. Potter scenes is the end of the Christmas eppy where Hawkeye, BJ and Margaret try to keep an obviously fatally wounded soldier alive long enough to reach midnight, and therefore passing away on Dec 26th instead of Dec 25th/Christmas Day, while the 4077th's Christmas Party for the Orphanage is going on at the same time. They're leaving Pre Op and meet Potter and one of the little ones w/the last pieces of BJ's Peg's Mill Valley Fudge. It's the expression and tone of his voice, but especially the look in his eyes that gets me every single time I see that particular episode/scene.

Now that's the true sign of a Master Actor to be able to do that. It's truly ironic that a man who has as his Signature/Most Well Known Role the Colonel/Commanding Officer of a MASH Unit, passes away on the 70th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbour.

Thanks for the Memories Sir. May he Rest In Peace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12