Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Recipes again, Holiday help!

Hi all, I see that one of our favorite threads has been closed (after two years!). My dilemma is that it looks as though I will have multiple guests Christmas Eve and Day. I am looking for side dishes that will reheat well. Last year I made Paula Deen's slow cooker mac and cheese and it was glorious for about an hour before all the liquid got sucked up and it dried out. Plan on serving ham for main dish and bakery desert...please easy sides that don't look like sh!t on a shingle after being reheated. Many thank yous!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    We've had luck with vegetarian lasagne, oven roasted root veggies, and al dente green beans. YMMV.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Rice pilafs are good too, because they reheat well, and you just fluff them up to look like a whole new dish instead of chopped through casseroles.

Keep some chopped herbs on hand to garnish, and voila! (I always chop extra parsley, chives, cilantro, green onions etc and keep them in the fridge - so handy for adding a fresh touch to dishes without any work.)

Here's one that a friend shared - huge hit at a party and we all asked for it. It's a cold salad, so even easier: Caribbean Rice and Black Bean Salad.

Same with couscous - easy to make, reheats well and can be "re-presented" as a new dish. Best part is it's so quick to make that if you are running low you can just make a couple of extra cups and mix it in.

Our basic favourite is with butter, ground almonds and garlic (big chunks stirred around for flavour, but you don't eat them). Easy enough to do a herb version, or perhaps something seasonal with cranberries, raisins, nuts and cinnamon or other festive spices.

For a cold version, you can't go wrong with Greek style - finely chop tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, olives if you like them (I don't!), red onion, plus dried oregano and fresh mint, and olive oil of course, with wine vinegar and lemon zest or juice optional. When I serve it at BBQs, we put out a bowl of crumbled feta on the side for our vegan friend; otherwise I'd mix it in.

Here's another great fall/winter dish for Pan Roasted Vegetables. We've been making this for years, and even people who claim not to like veggies can't get enough of it. It's a lot of work at the beginning with all the chopping, but it's something you can do a day or two in advance, and then just assemble later. And it reheats well, and looks pretty and colourful when served in a big bowl or platter.

vCash
    Some sort of seasoned rice does well reheated. Mash usually does well too. Green beans sauteed in olive oil,sea salt and garlic.

vCash
    So who posted a bread recipe in a thread somewhere, of 3c flour, 3T sugar and a beer?

I tried it today, as I had a spare beer. My oven smells like beer, but the bread hasn't really risen much. Should it be thick and dense? Help, oh mysterious poster...
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    So who posted a bread recipe in a thread somewhere, of 3c flour, 3T sugar and a beer?

I tried it today, as I had a spare beer. My oven smells like beer, but the bread hasn't really risen much. Should it be thick and dense? Help, oh mysterious poster...
    Could it have been me? I do beer bread all the time and it's fab - I take it to practically every event that requires you to bring food and it's always a hit. People think you put in a lot of work to make bread, when nothing could be further from the truth! Here's the recipe that I use - as you can see, it's pretty versatile in terms of spicing it up.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Back to rice for a sec, here's an excellent recipe from Mark Bittman: Green Rice Pilaf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Could it have been me?
    It was Matryeshka:

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Even better than that: the easiest bread recipe ever.

Three cups flour
    Three generous tbsp sugar
    One beer--preferably a darker one with a little bit of sugar in it. (It's a Christmas Party. Sugar is expected. )

Mix it together. Pour it in a loaf pan and put it in a 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes.
    Not only do you have bread, which impresses the hell out of everyone, but you have the smell of it everywhere. Even better, soften some butter and pour in a little bit of honey to spread.

vCash
    ^Ah, ok. If the bread isn't rising, I recommend adding a tablespoon of baking powder. Mine always rises very well with the combination of 3 cups flour (I usually do 2 cups white and 1 cup whole wheat and teff flour), 1 tablespoon sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1 beer. I also tend to add things like rosemary, garlic, dill, or cheddar cheese in various combinations. Then add some butter and mango chutney to a warm slice, yum!

vCash
    Can I ask for help too? I need to make cookies for a cookie exchange (). I don't bake much and since we are expected to exchange the recipe as well as the cookies, I guess I won't be able to just slice up a tube of toll house cookie dough . Any suggestions for easy, but impressive , holiday cookies?
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Can I ask for help too? I need to make cookies for a cookie exchange (). I don't bake much and since we are expected to exchange the recipe as well as the cookies, I guess I won't be able to just slice up a tube of toll house cookie dough . Any suggestions for easy, but impressive , holiday cookies?
    I dunno about impressive, but these are easy, the recipe makes a lot, and the cherry is kind of festive . It's also a little different from peanut blossoms, which someone else is sure to make, or frosted sugar cookies (ditto). Your kids can help; mine liked putting the cherries in the middle when they were younger.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cherry-Almond-Chews

These are also easy, the recipe also makes a lot, and they look fussier than they are:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Dipped-Gingersnaps

They're my husband's favorite Christmas cookies. Be warned--they are SO SWEET.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Thanks! The cherry ones look great, but I don't like almonds. Of course, they aren't for me... and they do look impressive. Anyway, looking at those recipes makes me realize how much stuff I'll need to buy (and then never use again) just to make cookies. My pantry just isn't stocked for baking. Shortening? Almond extract? Molasses? Coconut? Maraschino cherries?
    Creating drama!

vCash
    At Christmas, I love to serve this hot chocolate recipe:

Half and half, made with Nutella and flavored with peppermint (or candy canes). Decadent, but soooooooooo good.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Thanks! The cherry ones look great, but I don't like almonds. Of course, they aren't for me... and they do look impressive. Anyway, looking at those recipes makes me realize how much stuff I'll need to buy (and then never use again) just to make cookies. My pantry just isn't stocked for baking. Shortening? Almond extract? Molasses? Coconut? Maraschino cherries?
    Ah, well, then, have I got a recipe for you:

Peanut Butter Cookie Cups

Of course, you probably don't have a mini muffin pan. But if you do, you can pretty much let your kids make those. I always did. When people would ask for the recipe, I would give them my homemade peanut butter cookie recipe and directions .

One of my least favorite things about the holidays is that there are so many claims on time you don't have. For people who love to bake for the holidays, it's fun, but for everyone else, it's mostly one more PITA.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    At Christmas, I love to serve this hot chocolate recipe:

Half and half, made with Nutella and flavored with peppermint (or candy canes). Decadent, but soooooooooo good.
    Nutella is vile. My opinion only.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Nutella is vile. My opinion only.
    Whaaaaaattt?? Bite thy tongue!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If you have youngsters coming for the holidays, the maraschino cherries could come in handy. When my niece was a tween, she loved having a proper cocktail along with the grown ups - maraschino cherries in ginger ale, aka the Shirley Temple. Good also for sleepovers with the kids.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Ah, well, then, have I got a recipe for you:

Peanut Butter Cookie Cups
    Those look great, but can I really share a recipe with:

Ingredients
    1 package (17-1/2 ounces) peanut butter cookie mix
    36 miniature peanut butter cups, unwrapped
    without being ?

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Of course, you probably don't have a mini muffin pan.
    Oh yes I do! We love mini-muffins, but usually I just buy the mix, add some milk and pour. last week, I even randomly bought some festive mini-muffin baking cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    If you have youngsters coming for the holidays, the maraschino cherries could come in handy. When my niece was a tween, she loved having a proper cocktail along with the grown ups - maraschino cherries in ginger ale, aka the Shirley Temple. Good also for sleepovers with the kids.
    We used to do that as a kid. But, we're not having kids but our own this holiday and my kids don't drink soda of any kind.
    Creating drama!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We used to do that as a kid. But, we're not having kids but our own this holiday and my kids don't drink soda of any kind.
    I actually applaud that (thinking of the giant bottles of Coke Zero I have to stock when my sister's kids come over ), but I think the holidays are a time for a few exceptions, no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I actually applaud that (thinking of the giant bottles of Coke Zero I have to stock when my sister's kids come over ), but I think the holidays are a time for a few exceptions, no?
    Sure. I let them try soda on the odd occasion, but they don't really like it (particularly the bubbles) and have never asked for more than a sip. They are always offered soda at b-day parties and other kid-friendly events, but they always ask for water instead. Also, my son doesn't like maraschino cherries, so there you go.
    Creating drama!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast