Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Do you know this character?

So I'm trying to prove my husband wrong. He thinks that the all-knowing FSU won't be able to help me. I'm trying to identify this character bank. I think it looks like old-school Cookie Monster from Sesame Street, but I'll be darned if I can find anything else online that looks like this.

It's marked 1971, Play Pal Plastics Inc. I've googled it and googled it and I know this company made Disney piggy banks, but this doesn't look like any Disney character I know.

Yes, I'm putting it on ebay, and I'm being shameless about picking y'all's brains:
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    It looks like Grover from Sesame Street to me

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...t:429,r:9,s:22

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    That's what I was thinking - Grover.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    ::high fives Southpaw::

We know our Sesame Street stuff

vCash
    I don't think it's Grover. It's teasing my mind, but I can't quite pull it out.....

can you take another pictudure from a lower angle?

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    It's definitely not Cookie Monster, he wouldn't be carrying a flower.

But Grover would.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Another vote for Grover.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

4 More Years
    vCash
    I was thinking Grover, but there isn't a big pink nose, and the eyes are wrong.

vCash
    I searched online for sesame street character banks. Only one that looks remotely like it is a cookie monster one. But not identical. Lots of references to bank savings/financial institutions teaching finances to kids so perhaps a special one developed for a particular bank?

vCash
    It's not a character. It was a promotional set for Traveler's Insurance bank. They didn't have names.

I think the whole purpose was to scare people into putting money into a bank instead of those things.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    someone else had the same question last year

http://www.icedteaandsarcasm.com/201...e-monster.html

per wikipedia, before grover had a pink nose, he had a red nose and greenish brown fur
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I don't think that the folks at either Henson of CTW would've let one of their characters be done so poorly, and I don't think that Playpal would've done such a poor job either. I keep seeing a Sat am kids show in my brain, but can't quite get a handle on it. The flower in the stomach is a clue, because I think that there were several different characters kind of like it.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I don't think that the folks at either Henson of CTW would've let one of their characters be done so poorly, and I don't think that Playpal would've done such a poor job either.
    I dunno, I kind of remember tons of crap like this when I was a kid that kinda-sorta looked like familiar characters. Just enough to make them feel like the characters, but not enough to provoke the payment of licensing fees. Not that I knew anything about licensing fees back then. I was very young and innocent and knew nothing about IP lawyers.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    It's not a character. It was a promotional set for Traveler's Insurance bank. They didn't have names.

I think the whole purpose was to scare people into putting money into a bank instead of those things.
    It is a rather unattractive object.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I dunno, I kind of remember tons of crap like this when I was a kid that kinda-sorta looked like familiar characters. Just enough to make them feel like the characters, but not enough to provoke the payment of licensing fees.
    You got the fake Barbies, too, huh?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    just curious, but is it really necessary to identify the character for an online auction? you could say it bears a resemblance to grover or cookie monster, but you aren't sure if it's really an official version of a sesame street character.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    You got the fake Barbies, too, huh?
    Oh yeah.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    just curious, but is it really necessary to identify the character for an online auction? you could say it bears a resemblance to grover or cookie monster, but you aren't sure if it's really an official version of a sesame street character.
    It's not necessary but if you can honestly say it is an official Sesame Street character, especially an early one, then the item may make more money.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    ^^^well, i wouldn't make such a representation in an online auction because then one could be charged with misrepresentation. without documentation, it wouldn't be wise to make such as assertion imo, and just getting feedback from an online message board wouldn't be sufficient documentation in my book.

but that's me...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I doubt Christina would make such a claim based on our info alone. I'm sure she's just as ethical as you. Sheesh.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I doubt Christina would make such a claim based on our info alone. I'm sure she's just as ethical as you. Sheesh.
    You're a tad prickly today

And I have no doubts about Christina's ethical character btw

ETA: Here's something for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast