Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Yep, I'll be adding that to my loooooooong list of reasons not to move to the deep south
    Aw gee. What makes you hate the deep south so much? Better not seek a job as a PR person! (I say that with affection, ok?)

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Gosh, I feel so much better now.
    You get used to them. Actually, most people never see a venemous snake because the snake much prefers to hide. I went on a rattlesnake hunt with a herptologist (he was doing a population check) and would never have seen a snake if he hadn't pointed them out. When you grow up in the country, you know about them, know not to put your hands in places you can't see and how to watch your step. My parents live between a wooded area and a large pond. You know cottonmouths are going to travel between the two and just pay attention.

Spiders on the other hand....

And I would never live anywhere except the South except maybe the SW or PNW.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I'm moving to Atlanta in the summer for grad school...I won't mind the snakes, but I hope the spiders aren't as bad in the south! (I spent a summer in Peru working in a place whose name literally translated to "Flat Land of Spiders". First new word my housemate learned: araña).

I know a lot of people who are terrified of earthworms and that kind of makes me . Then again, I am a dedicated gardener and I LOVE earthworms... hell, if it's raining and I see them on the sidewalk, I'll stop and pick them up and put them back in the grass so they don't get stepped on.

I guess we all have our phobias!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    You get used to them. Actually, most people never see a venemous snake because the snake much prefers to hide. I went on a rattlesnake hunt with a herptologist (he was doing a population check) and would never have seen a snake if he hadn't pointed them out. When you grow up in the country, you know about them, know not to put your hands in places you can't see and how to watch your step. My parents live between a wooded area and a large pond. You know cottonmouths are going to travel between the two and just pay attention.
    As a child, I grew up in the country (rural Central Oregon = timber rattlers!) We grew up being careful, but snakes just give me the creeps and always have. I think it's something about the way they move.

Btw, My neighbor has a hefty python, and I can barely contain my joy when he brings it outside on a sunny day...
    Last edited by nubka; 12-07-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    As a child, I grew up in the country (rural Oregon = timber rattlers!) We grew up being careful, but snakes just give me the creeps and always have. I think it's something about the way they move.

Btw, My neighbor has a hefty python, and I can barely contain my joy when he brings it outside on a sunny day...
    I'd be giving him the evil eye. Pythons should not be kept as pets. They are not native and foolish people release them in the wild when they get too big. I don't have a problem with native species (corn snakes for example) if someone wants a snake, but not exotics. Although snakes really aren't pets. Or my idea of a pet.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I spoke to a South African once who told me snakes got inside their house on a regular basis. What about snakes in Florida, do they like to go inside?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I spoke to a South African once who told me snakes got inside their house on a regular basis. What about snakes in Florida, do they like to go inside?
    It's probably happened (never say never) but not to anyone I know.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    It's probably happened (never say never) but not to anyone I know.
    Well, I will be in Florida soon and will probably inspect the sheets and look under the pillow to make sure.

The two snakes in the whole dorm my freshman year ended up being my roommates'. One was a king snake who snacked on live baby mice (the whole dorm gathered to watch the snake strangle the mouse--I found it expedient to be at the library) and a garter snake who ate live goldfish.

Needless to say, I never got into a bed or shower without checking for an escaped snake first.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    We wissssssssssssssh you a Merry Hissssssssssmassssssss
    and a Herpy New Year!

Remember, Sssssssssssanta Sssssssssssssssssnake only vissssitssssssssss good little ssssssssssnake-lovin' kidsssssssss!

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))):-<

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    and a Herpy New Year!

Remember, Sssssssssssanta Sssssssssssssssssnake only vissssitssssssssss good little ssssssssssnake-lovin' kidsssssssss!

A parselmouth holiday carol!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I'm moving to Atlanta in the summer for grad school...I won't mind the snakes, but I hope the spiders aren't as bad in the south! (I spent a summer in Peru working in a place whose name literally translated to "Flat Land of Spiders". First new word my housemate learned: araña).

I know a lot of people who are terrified of earthworms and that kind of makes me . Then again, I am a dedicated gardener and I LOVE earthworms... hell, if it's raining and I see them on the sidewalk, I'll stop and pick them up and put them back in the grass so they don't get stepped on.

I guess we all have our phobias!
    I hope you will enjoy Atlanta, my native city. If you are going to live in the burbs where there are woodsy places, you might encounter a little garden snake or king snake maybe once or twice in your entire life there. I don't think there's going to be any venomous snakes lurking about naturally. No worries! I live in the north Georgia mountains where there is a lot of wild natural settings and national forests, and therefore more snakies. I also have entirely too many deer and a few bears.

A native American friend used to laugh at me for rescuing earthworms that had washed out on the sidewalk during storms. He told me I was taking a good meal away from many little birdies! I love earthworms, too.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    and a Herpy New Year!

A parselmouth holiday carol!!
    How does Santa tell if a Slytherin has been naughty or nice? They're always naughty.

vCash
    How does Santa tell if a Slytherin has been naughty or nice? They're always naughty.
    Well there's naughty and there's NAUGHTY.

I'd say Slughorn = Naughty

Snape = Naughty

Voldemort = NAUGHTY
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I won't even buy shoes, handbag, or clothes that have a Faux Snake print.
    Completely freaks me out!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I lied. I just remembered a snake did come into my house years ago. He slithered along the wall and went back outside.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Santa puts on the Sorting Hat and it lets him know!

vCash
    You guys would have to bring Harry Potter into this. I tried to watch Deathly Hallows 1 tonight and couldn't get through more than an hour and a half of Harry and Hermione staring at out into space at whatever and basically sitting around doing nothing on a rock. Looked like Scotland. GAD what a bore! I love Harry Potter in general, but my God can somebody find an editor? Please tell me DH2 is better. I guess I'll watch the rest of 1 tonight and steel myself for 2. I know 2 has got to be great....

All I want to know is this: Does Gary Oldman get to come back for a bit like from the netherworld or something? That's really all I'm asking. I want Gary. Then again, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy should be out now. I know this has nothing to do with snakes. Sorry.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I quite liked DH 1. Mostly because of the chemistry Harry and Hermione had dancing and kissing.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    DH2 is much better than DH1.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    DH2 is much better than DH1.
    I agree!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast