Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    We had a 6 foot corn snake living in our detached garage for a while. Every now and then we would see a smaller (3ft) one coiled around the top of the bird feeder. I never wanted to pet them, but they were cute and we felt bad when they disappeared. It doesn't surprise me though that someone who lives where corn snakes do would pick one up. They aren't shy about being seen, as snakes go, and they're pretty docile.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    When I was in summer camp, I found a baby rattler, already outfitted with the rattle and using it too. I don't think I've ever recovered.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I was out at the Detroit Skating Club back in July and we were sitting outside. All of a sudden a bunch of women started screeming and it turned out a snake was in front of the front door. It was a little gardner snake. I tried to pick it up but it bit me. About a minute later Keiffer Hubbell comes running out and takes the snake away! I guess he has pet snakes.

vCash
    I would have reacted worse than the mother did. I have no issues with spiders, rats, bees or any other animal, but I'm *terrified* of snakes. I have no reason to be, I've never had a bad experience or even have any dangerous snakes where I live, yet if I'm out for a hike with my dogs and see even a tiny garter snake I freeze in fear, my heart pounds and I can barely breathe.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I had a weird snake experience in the East Bay, driving with hubby on some rural road when a snake that was colored in black and white stripes like this one decided to cross the road. We stopped, of course. I think I climbed as high as the seat would let me (yes, I knew it couldn't get me in the car, it's not entirely rational) while hubby was all: "Awww, pretty snake".

A snake with coloring that dramatic has to be venomous. I thought it escaped from somewhere like the Bronx Zoo cobra. But I think it's a kind of king snake which are, IIRC constrictors.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I have no issues with spiders, rats, bees or any other animal, but I'm *terrified* of snakes.
    I'm scared of all of them

I'm a big chicken

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I had a weird snake experience in the East Bay, driving with hubby on some rural road when a snake that was colored in black and white stripes like this one decided to cross the road. We stopped, of course. I think I climbed as high as the seat would let me (yes, I knew it couldn't get me in the car, it's not entirely rational) while hubby was all: "Awww, pretty snake".

A snake with coloring that dramatic has to be venomous. I thought it escaped from somewhere like the Bronx Zoo cobra. But I think it's a kind of king snake which are, IIRC constrictors.
    Haha...no, King Snakes are not venomous. In fact, Wikipedia says "Kingsnakes are generally docile, curious and gentle." They make good pets. Yeah, right. But we have had many king snakes in our yards over the years. They're a good snake because they scare away the venomous snakes and also keep the rodent population down.

One day I went flying out the front door to get something our of the yard. I started to make a flying leap off the front porch, only about 18" high, when I looked down and saw that I was probably going to land on a very long black snake all happy sunning himself in my yard. Baryshnikov would have been proud of the mid-air contortions I went through to ensure I landed as far away as possible. It was a harmless black rat snake, but I really, really didn't want to land on him.....My husband, who collected snakes as a kid, came out and declared him a rat snake and PICKED HIM UP and carried him back into the woods so he'd be safe. My husband has also PICKED UP COPPERHEADS and taken them to safety because people will kill them in a heartbeat. He just knows how to do it. Copperheads are poisonous, but not always and usually only to dogs or small children-so you really don't want them around. I think his craziest rescue was shooing a baby timber rattler to the side of the road with a stick so nobody would run over it. Timber rattlers are incredibly deadly and babies are just as deadly as mom and dad.

Banned Member
    vCash
    In my backyard growing up we found copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes. One night I was coming in and just barely missed stepping on a copperhead. I freaked out. I cannot deal with snakes. At all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    In my backyard growing up we found copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes. One night I was coming in and just barely missed stepping on a copperhead. I freaked out. I cannot deal with snakes. At all.
    I know what you mean! I spent my teenage years living out in the Arizona desert in a very isolated farming community. We never went out in the evening without a flashlight. Small, sidewinder rattlesnakes are poisonous, and blend in well even in the daylight. I learned to always watch the ground in front of me when walking.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

There are only 4 types of venomous snakes in the US depending on where you live. Only the deep south has all 4. They are also very distinctive. Everybody should learn what species are indigenous to their area and what they look like. Just to be safe.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Haha...no, King Snakes are not venomous. In fact, Wikipedia says "Kingsnakes are generally docile, curious and gentle." They make good pets. Yeah, right. But we have had many king snakes in our yards over the years. They're a good snake because they scare away the venomous snakes and also keep the rodent population down.

One day I went flying out the front door to get something our of the yard. I started to make a flying leap off the front porch, only about 18" high, when I looked down and saw that I was probably going to land on a very long black snake all happy sunning himself in my yard. Baryshnikov would have been proud of the mid-air contortions I went through to ensure I landed as far away as possible. It was a harmless black rat snake, but I really, really didn't want to land on him.....My husband, who collected snakes as a kid, came out and declared him a rat snake and PICKED HIM UP and carried him back into the woods so he'd be safe. My husband has also PICKED UP COPPERHEADS and taken them to safety because people will kill them in a heartbeat. He just knows how to do it. Copperheads are poisonous, but not always and usually only to dogs or small children-so you really don't want them around. I think his craziest rescue was shooing a baby timber rattler to the side of the road with a stick so nobody would run over it. Timber rattlers are incredibly deadly and babies are just as deadly as mom and dad.
    The snake in the video is a corn snake. Considering its coloring it was most likely a captive bred snake. It does not include the red pigment in a "normal" corn snake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_snake

Corn snakes really make wonderful pets.

vCash
    As shocking as it was for the humans I can only think of being hauled indoors and decorated must have been quite a shock to the snake.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Timber rattlers are incredibly deadly and babies are just as deadly as mom and dad.
    Your husband is a brave man. So I guess I wasn't completely out of line being terrified of the baby rattler. Not sure if it was a timber rattler or what, don't know the difference. The fact was, it was tiny, may be 10 inches with a goddamn rattle raised and rattling. I have the hibbie jibbies as I type this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Only the deep south has all 4.
    Remind me not to move to the deep south. I know Florida has escaped pet pythons in the Everglades but does it have venomous snakes? Going there soon.

They are also very distinctive. Everybody should learn what species are indigenous to their area and what they look like. Just to be safe.
    What are they?

from Speedy Death

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Unless you're out strolling about in a palmetto thicket or going for a walk in the glades, you're not likely to encounter anything more problematic than a mosquito. Florida does have coral, rattlesnakes (including the largest in the US: eastern diamondback), cottonmouth (aka water moccasin) and copperheads. There are pythons in the glades due to stupid people releasing them, but if you're going to the beach, you have nothing to worry about. You actually don't have much to worry about in the glades.

CA has rattlesnakes. this is an excellent site with descriptions including images and distribution maps of all the venemous snakes in the US. Just click on the link for snakes and you'll be well informed.

engaged to dupa
    vCash

Remind me not to move to the deep south. I know Florida has escaped pet pythons in the Everglades but does it have venomous snakes? Going there soon.
    We have coral snakes, mildly venomous. I've seen exactly one in 14 years so no need to worry.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    There are only 4 types of venomous snakes in the US depending on where you live. Only the deep south has all 4. They are also very distinctive. Everybody should learn what species are indigenous to their area and what they look like. Just to be safe.
    Just one reason I will NEVER live in the southern US.

I'm in the Midwest and we get snakes (just garden snakes) snuggling together in our garage during the summer for some reason.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Just one reason I will NEVER live in the southern US.
    Well, it's not like we trip over them in the street. I'd hazard a guess that I've seen a snake (any snake) 6 times in 14 years and they don't congregate in our garages. My husband hikes a lot in the state and national parks/forests around here and sees rat snakes often but hey, they gotta live somewhere.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    There are only 4 types of venomous snakes in the US depending on where you live. Only the deep south has all 4.
    Remind me not to move to the deep south.
    Yep, I'll be adding that to my loooooooong list of reasons not to move to the deep south

Funny how people are afraid of different things. I think I'd rather wrestle a bear and some snakes than be in the same room as a mouse or rat.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Well, it's not like we trip over them in the street. I'd hazard a guess that I've seen a snake (any snake) 6 times in 14 years and they don't congregate in our garages. My husband hikes a lot in the state and national parks/forests around here and sees rat snakes often but hey, they gotta live somewhere.
    My family is from AR and we have all 4 types, albeit, the coral snakes are not where they live. They live in the country where there are rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and copperheads, but nobody has ever been bit. They're no big deal.

vCash
    My family is from AR and we have all 4 types, albeit, the coral snakes are not where they live. They live in the country where there are rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and copperheads, but nobody has ever been bit. They're no big deal.
    Gosh, I feel so much better now.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast