Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NBC skating commentary

I didn't realize Tara Lipinski and Michael Weiss were doing figure skating commentary for NBC until I watched the Cup of Russia broadcast this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they both were. While Tara is inclined to chatter on a bit, she at least offers good analysis of why a particular jump, etc. didn't work. Weiss is good at explaining what the judges are looking for in jump landings, transition moves and spins. Terry Gannon is a longtime fave of mine so it was good to see him in the commentary booth as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I didn't realize Tara Lipinski and Michael Weiss were doing figure skating commentary for NBC until I watched the Cup of Russia broadcast this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they both were. While Tara is inclined to chatter on a bit, she at least offers good analysis of why a particular jump, etc. didn't work. Weiss is good at explaining what the judges are looking for in jump landings, transition moves and spins. Terry Gannon is a longtime fave of mine so it was good to see him in the commentary booth as well.
    Now who do we call to tell NBC to use them at the big events instead of Bezic and Hamilton?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Now who do we call to tell NBC to use them at the big events instead of Bezic and Hamilton?
    I have sent NBC e-mails in the past and I will do it again as Tara and Michael are so much better then Sandra and Scott!!!!!

vCash
    Do you just go to www.nbc.com and look for a 'contact' to send an email?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    I have sent NBC e-mails in the past and I will do it again as Tara and Michael are so much better then Sandra and Scott!!!!!
    I think I am going to have to send emails too. Title. "anyone but Tara". Giggling is not a form of commentary I find appealing. Tara is no longer a cute 14 year old, but she is still trying to play the part

vCash
    Although Lipinski commentary IMO has dropped somewhat in quality since she started, she's still much better than the status quo, I feel...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think I am going to have to send emails too. Title. "anyone but Tara". Giggling is not a form of commentary I find appealing. Tara is no longer a cute 14 year old, but she is still trying to play the part

She tells a lot about the skating; she is not just giggling (unless you consider any form of laughter a giggle) I see no resemblance between the 14 year old and the lady that is commentating. She is a lot better than some other commentators we have been listening to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I agree. Her commentary can be quite interesting, but the giggling makes her tough to listen to.
    Have a Great Day

vCash
    My only problem with her is that she tends to be a little negative. Terry Gannon even kidded her about it at Grand Prix Paris. But, I still like her better than Sandra. She's knowledgeable and passes that knowlege on in a way that viewers can understand.

vCash
    Tara is a lot better than -- who was the person with the truly-infantile voice last year...Jenny Kirk? Actually, Tara is one of the best commentators on Ladies Singles in a long time.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Given a choice between reasonably inciteful commentary an occasional girlish giggle and Scott Hamilton shrieking like a madman when someone does something well, my vote goes to TARA! TARA! TARA!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Given a choice between reasonably inciteful commentary an occasional girlish giggle and Scott Hamilton shrieking like a madman when someone does something well, my vote goes to TARA! TARA! TARA!
    Totally. Every time I have to listen to Scott and his sidekick Sandra, I mutter to myself, "I'll go back to Tara."

vCash
    THIS. Anything's better than Scott Hamilton straining like he's on the toilet!

vCash
    I am being nitpicky here, but I think you meant 'insightful'.

vCash
    i wish NBC would offer the option of not hearing any commentary at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i wish NBC would offer the option of not hearing any commentary at all.
    All networks should give viewers that option (commentary or no commentary) although technically I don't know how it could be done without losing the music (if no commentary option is selected). Occasionally a commentator helps me see something that I did not, so there is some value to it, but that is rare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    All networks should give viewers that option (commentary or no commentary) although technically I don't know how it could be done without losing the music (if no commentary option is selected). Occasionally a commentator helps me see something that I did not, so there is some value to it, but that is rare.

they can point it out during the time the skater is saying hi to everybody at home and waving a cute stuffed animal that she/he/they picked up after taking their bows. or during the slow-motions.

commentary ruins the re-watch value of the performances for me. some commentators ruin it the first time i hear them as well YMMV. i don't really care so much for the education when there's still debate on whether the educator is biased (who can argue blumberg's qualified to comment on ice dance? but nevertheless, some feel she is biased in favor of D/W... i have no horse in this race, btw... just sayin' the value of this 'education' is debatable).

vCash
    Man, what harsh critics we have on the Boards

I think Tara and Michael Weiss are very very good. Keepers! I always thought Tara was very articulate even at 14. Terry Gannon seems to bring out the giggle factor in her....she didn't do that with Andrea Joyce so much. Different chemistry.

I also like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic as commentators so boo to the haterzzz

My favorite though, who will never be replaced, is DICK BUTTON. He really spoke his mind which I like alot (not so much sugar coating) and was a real stickler for line, position, stretch and great layback positions. He was a real character in the booth. Kept the U.S. skaters on their toes in that regard. Skating isn't the same without him.

I also liked the combo of Verne Lundquist and Scott Hamilton when there was so much pro skating in the 90's.

Mainly I just don't want any commentator to talk too much during the skaters programs. A little goes a long way.

vCash
    The problem is that the majority of people who watch skating on TV have no idea what they're looking at and their only way to learn is to listen to commentary while watching.

If they watch often enough for long enough and pay attention, they turn into us and don't want to hear it any more.

It also helps to take lessons, attend competitions, and/or discuss on message boards. I wish TV broadcasts would give some clue to home viewers that what fits on TV is only the tip of the iceberg and suggestions on how to experience more if interested.

It will be nice when technology someday makes it easy to choose a commentary track or a music-only audio track. And maybe a choice between detailed technical commentary or human-interest commentary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

Check out Ice Network. All the skaters, no commentary! Fabulous.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast