Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash

Holiday music - your recommendations?

I know we've had threads like this in past years, but why not start fresh with the latest crop of Christmas CDs? My collection continues to grow each year, so I'm always interested in recommendations from others.

The ones I tend to play again and again are:

• Kenny Chesney - island themed, with his fabulous voice and some fun duets
    • Dean Martin - there are several of them out there, but to me "Baby It's Cold Outside" = Christmas
    • Doris Day - can't beat her vocal interpretations IMO, I can listen to her forever
    • Rosemary Clooney - one of many, has that gathered-round-the-piano feel
    • Ella Fitzgerald's Swingin' Christmas - I recall this one on many lists
    • Jethro Tull - the flute and his sort of mystical English sound lends itself well to Christmas and winter songs - it's surprisingly good!
    • Christmas Cocktails - part of a series that was popular a few years back - perfect for drinks with friends, very upbeat

And I confess I bought Justin Bieber's CD. And a I kinda like it. The only fail for me is "Little Drummer Boy" - he plays drums, which I was looking forward to, but then turns it into a rap, which didn't work for me. For contemporary Christmas CDs, Destiny's Child from a few years back remains a better choice.

Kelly Clarkson really needs to do a Christmas CD, as does Carrie Underwood - surprised they haven't already - or did I somehow miss them? I picked up an older one of Reba's for a dollar, but sadly there is a lot of talking/storytelling on it, which IMO takes away from the music.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Is that the one w/Reba doing The Christmas Guest on it Jenny? I actually picked that one up just for that and have it on one of the Christmas Mix CD's I did a few years ago.

BTW, it's nice to see someone w/the same addiction. I adore Christmas music and there can never be enough of it from after November 12th in this house (Mom's Birthday and a rule in this house ) till Boxing Day. Haven't picked any new ones up yet this year, but was brousing through iTunes the other night and saw two I've been searching for over there.

First one was Trisha Yearwood's The Sweetest Gift. I have this on tape and obviously would like to replace that copy, but haven't been able to find it on CD. I also highly reccomend it!! So many wonderful songs on that one, but personal favourites for me are Take A Walk Through Bethleham, There's A New Kid In Town and The Sweetest Gift which is a duet w/Trisha and her sister.

The other one was Kathy Mattea's Christmas album from the early 90's, which I have never had, but have heard several songs off of over the years. Her Christ Child's Lullaby is one I particularly have been on the hunt for as it's just so beautiful and haunting.

As Albums I do have and highly reccomend...

The three Amy Grant ones that I know of. She might have done a fourth and I just don't know about it. All get regular play in this house this time of year.

John Denver and the Muppets. Their rendition of The 12 Days of Christmas crack me up. Especially when they get to Prof. Honeydew and Beaker's part...

On the tenth day of Christmas..

Mee mee mee mee MEEEEEE!!!!

It's also the only Album I've got/heard where the origin of Silent Night is part of the performance of the song. First John sings it in the original German, then tells the story and then is joined by the Muppets for the English rendition. It's really a beautiful version of the Carol.

Josh Groban's Noel. Nuff said, but I always warn about I'll Be Home For Christmas. There's Messages from the Troops and also Messages from the Loved Ones at Home here and there through it. First time I listened to it, I bawled like a baby. So you've all now been warned.

Barenaked Ladies' Barenaked For The Holidays. Not only is it is a rolicking good time of an album, but it's also half Christmas and half Hanukkah. Love that!!

I obviously have more, but only limited posting space. I'll be back!!

vCash
    It's also the only Album I've got/heard where the origin of Silent Night is part of the performance of the song. First John sings it in the original German, then tells the story and then is joined by the Muppets for the English rendition. It's really a beautiful version of the Carol.
    Here it is:

John Denver Muppets Christmas - Silent Night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j9sKZDZHUM

Just me
    vCash
    I have:

Michael Buble's Let it Snow
    Josh Groban's Noel
    Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong
    Jim Brickman's Christmas Romance (traditional songs)

I play them as background music at my office during the day. I've just bought a new one, Michael Buble Christmas, and enjoy it so far.

*I also have a Roger Whittaker LP at home that I LOVE!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" - a fun, perky song for any time of the year.

Wham's "Last Christmas".

Justin Bieber's "Mistletoe".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I know we've had threads like this in past years, but why not start fresh with the latest crop of Christmas CDs? My collection continues to grow each year, so I'm always interested in recommendations from others.
    I was planning on starting a Christmas music thread, but you beat me to it.

Michael Buble's new Christmas CD is fabulous. Boy, can he sing. Fleiz Navidad is one of my least favourite Christmas songs, but I love his rendition. Someone should skate to it.

Last year, a poster recommended Amy Grant's Christmas CDs, so acting on that recommendation, I purchased Grant's The Christmas Collection. Love it.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I adore Christmas music and there can never be enough of it from after November 12th in this house (Mom's Birthday and a rule in this house ) till Boxing Day.
    For me the season begins when I put up the decorations, which is somewhere between American Thanksgiving and the first weekend in December. I play them non-stop through New Year's Day.

Barenaked Ladies' Barenaked For The Holidays. Not only is it is a rolicking good time of an album, but it's also half Christmas and half Hanukkah. Love that!!
    Will definitely hunt this one down - thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I have:

Michael Buble's Let it Snow
    Josh Groban's Noel
    Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong
    Jim Brickman's Christmas Romance (traditional songs)

I play them as background music at my office during the day. I've just bought a new one, Michael Buble Christmas, and enjoy it so far.

*I also have a Roger Whittaker LP at home that I LOVE!
    I see our tastes are a tad different Might look for Roger Whittaker for nostalgic reasons, but since hubby has some bizarre dislike for Sarah, the closest I can get is my Enya Christmas CD.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" - a fun, perky song for any time of the year.

Wham's "Last Christmas".

Justin Bieber's "Mistletoe".
    OK yuck on the first, but being a lover of 80s music I'll look for the second, and um, glad to see I'm not the only one who bought the third.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I hate Christmas music generally. The best Christmas song is "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl.

The Hotel Cafe Presents...Winter Songs isn't too vomit inducing and "Winter Song" by Sara Bareilles is beautiful.

Then of course when all else fails and if you're not too squicked out by him there's A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash

Prick Admin
    vCash
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    In general, I'm not very into Christmas music. But, I really like "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

vCash
    [QUOTE=allezfred;3389851]I hate Christmas music generally. The best Christmas song is "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl.

Love this and I love the look on my mother's face when she first heard it.

I like traditional carols but I also like the offbeat a bit--One of my favorites was from a movie I did not enjoy (except for this song at the beginning.) It's called "At the Closing of the Year."
    http://youtu.be/R9geCS0v7w8

There was another song in the same move which was put to better use in a tv show and one of my secular friends likes it as a winter solstice/holiday song. And I like John Corbett and his character's art installation: http://youtu.be/U2TPMoP01Sc
    Last edited by Cachoo; 12-03-2011 at 03:22 AM.

vCash
    Anything from RuPual's Ho Ho Ho Album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXDLY...97D9753AB64794

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

Love this CD. Elf's Lament is my fave song. The elves threaten to form a union.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qixiv080feg

I might add some Straight No Chaser to my collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-47VmFopE&ob=av2e
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYEK...feature=relmfu

vCash
    New Year's Eve Sarajevo, Transiberian Railroad

A Midwinter Night's Dream, Lorenna McKennit
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Joy! A Celebration of of Holiday Music by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Simply the Best Christmas Album

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The best Christmas song is "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl.
    Agreed.
    That and "Blue Christmas" by Elvis. And maybe also "Christmas Rapping" by the Waitresses.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    In general, I'm not very into Christmas music. But, I really like "A Charlie Brown Christmas."
    I've always found that music to be too sad for Christmas myself - I like upbeat, fun, joyous.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Joy! A Celebration of of Holiday Music by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Simply the Best Christmas Album
    ooo great ideas - I don't have very much in the classical realm so will definitely check these out - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Agreed.
    That and "Blue Christmas" by Elvis. And maybe also "Christmas Rapping" by the Waitresses.
    Pretty sure I have Elvis on one of the mixed CDs I have - but I wonder if there's a full CD? One of those people who became such caricatures in the end that one forgets that he has such a beautiful voice.

vCash
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Wikipedia has a listing of the most popular Christmas albums in the United States.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast