I know we've had threads like this in past years, but why not start fresh with the latest crop of Christmas CDs? My collection continues to grow each year, so I'm always interested in recommendations from others.
The ones I tend to play again and again are:
- Kenny Chesney - island themed, with his fabulous voice and some fun duets
- Dean Martin - there are several of them out there, but to me "Baby It's Cold Outside" = Christmas
- Doris Day - can't beat her vocal interpretations IMO, I can listen to her forever
- Rosemary Clooney - one of many, has that gathered-round-the-piano feel
- Ella Fitzgerald's Swingin' Christmas - I recall this one on many lists
- Jethro Tull - the flute and his sort of mystical English sound lends itself well to Christmas and winter songs - it's surprisingly good!
- Christmas Cocktails - part of a series that was popular a few years back - perfect for drinks with friends, very upbeat
And I confess I bought Justin Bieber's CD. And a I kinda like it. The only fail for me is "Little Drummer Boy" - he plays drums, which I was looking forward to, but then turns it into a rap, which didn't work for me. For contemporary Christmas CDs, Destiny's Child from a few years back remains a better choice.
Kelly Clarkson really needs to do a Christmas CD, as does Carrie Underwood - surprised they haven't already - or did I somehow miss them? I picked up an older one of Reba's for a dollar, but sadly there is a lot of talking/storytelling on it, which IMO takes away from the music.