vCash

Silicone Bakeware

Has anyone purchased silicone bakeware and what do you think of it? I saw a set at the store and have been contemplating buying them as a Christmas gift for a family member. I just wanted to do a little informal research on people's opinion of it.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Some people swear by metal pans only, but I have several pieces and am very pleased with it. The only thing to remember is to place your silicone pan on a baking sheet before putting it into the oven (makes it easier to remove since the silicone is so flexible).

fragrance free
    vCash
    We have silicone muffin cups that we use for cupcakes and muffins. They are easy to fill because they hold their shape. They bake very evenly. We bought one set to try and have added more (we now have 24).

vCash
    Really like my Silpat for delicate cookies, especially lace cookies.

vCash
    It seems like batters baked in silicon pans don't rise as high as those bake in regular pans. I think maybe it's because the floppish nature of the silicon material doesn't provide enough support for the batter while baking, if that makes any sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    The only thing to remember is to place your silicone pan on a baking sheet before putting it into the oven (makes it easier to remove since the silicone is so flexible).
    That's a very good point. I probably wouldn't figure out something important like that until I tried to take it out of the oven.

The packaging recommended using vegetable oil the first time baking and the possibility of some smoke and odor which requires soaking in soapy water. Did anyone notice any plastic or chemical tastes the first couple baking times until the items were "seasoned"?
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    oooo, thanks for starting this thread! I've been considering silicone pans (my bunt pan NEVER releases my cakes properly no matter how much I grease/flour it). If you guys like it, I'll have to start looking around for one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timing View Post
    We have silicone muffin cups that we use for cupcakes and muffins. They are easy to fill because they hold their shape. They bake very evenly. We bought one set to try and have added more (we now have 24).
    That sounds great...I bake cupcakes a whole lot.I might invest in those.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I really like my silicone bundt pan, with one caveat--it is a pain to get clean after it gets older. Definitely has not lasted as long as a metal one would, but is a hundred times easier to get a bundt cake out of it than out of a metal pan.

And a Silpat is a must-have. I use it for baking, handling molten sugar, rolling sticky doughs...very worth the price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I really like my silicone bundt pan, with one caveat--it is a pain to get clean after it gets older. Definitely has not lasted as long as a metal one would, but is a hundred times easier to get a bundt cake out of it than out of a metal pan.

And a Silpat is a must-have. I use it for baking, handling molten sugar, rolling sticky doughs...very worth the price.
    Great, I'll look for a bundt pan then. I also have a 20% coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond, I'll use that toward a Silpat since I've always wanted one of those too. Thank you!

vCash
    I love love love my silicone muffin cups.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feetwerk View Post
    I love love love my silicone muffin cups.
    I do too, though you have to remember that anything in the silicone won't "brown" so if you like crispy muffin sides you won't get them. The tops still brown nicely

vCash
    Thanks everyone. I bought a set today and I think it will be appreciated and used.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thanks for the info. I've also been considering silicone muffin pans due to we use them for mini quiche pans for Christmas Breakfast or Brunch if we've got a lot of company for whatever reason. The metal ones never do manage to clean all that well and/or don't always let the "bites" come out entirely whole. A pain in the patella. (I have two bad knees, so... )

Maybe next time I'm out and about in Sudbury, I'll have to do more than just consider them.

vCash
    I only use silicone baking sheets, I also use the cake 'pans' for round cakes, pound cakes and muffins.

I tried making yorkshire pudding in them a couple times and the pudding didn't turn out. So I use my old bakeware with more success. Silcone items can't be in a temp over 400 fahrenheit with silicone.

Not sure if this is true everywhere but for people with a Canadian Tire store, there is a sale on right now for silicone bakeware (I just looked in the flyer today and it is $14.99). It includes a muffin 'pan', cookie sheet, pound cake and 12' square and the angel food 'pan'.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I have a silicone bundt cake pan that looks like a sunflower. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but both times that I have used it, I have problems getting the cake out of it (chunks of cake stick in the mold and break off.) It's really a bummer, cause it's such a neat looking pan.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I have a silicone bundt cake pan that looks like a sunflower. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but both times that I have used it, I have problems getting the cake out of it (chunks of cake stick in the mold and break off.) It's really a bummer, cause it's such a neat looking pan.
    Did you use a vegetable oil on the pan to season it the first time you used it? The directions on the set I purchased said they needed at least one coat.