Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Thanks, RD. I can't wait to see this show...especially Nicole and Tara, who look fantastic in the still photos.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Well said.

What I do find interesting is that in an interview, plus in conversation w/me, Nicole said that it took 3 months to get her jumps "bacK"..Nicole had been off of the ice for what 7 years? and had been through a rather negative experience. Yet, she can jump. Perhaps with Tara's hip, she can't and I do understand that, but I don't understand why Sarah doesn't jump...and no, I am not trashing her, just curious.
    Agree with you here! I certainly can understand Tara not jumping, and she's also not putting herself out there doing major solos without jumps - she's participating in a nice way supporting her fellow skaters. For Sarah and Sasha to not do jumps though, is very disappointing, especially when you consider Nicole working her butt off to get back into shape and 42 year old Nancy Kerrigan jumping, even while sick as a dog!!! I just don't get what's going on with Sarah. She can't even do a single jump anymore or at least one or two doubles? It doesn't make sense.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Did Sasha not jump at all? RD's review said that only Sarah, and possibly Liz, did no jumps.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    If I'm wrong on Sasha, please correct me and let me know what jumps she did.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I can't speak to the Caesar's show, but Sasha jumped in recent shows I've seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Did Sasha not jump at all? RD's review said that only Sarah, and possibly Liz, did no jumps.
    I did not take detailed notes during the show, so therefore I do not know with certainty whether she did or not. I DO know for sure that Hughes didn't do any in her routine.

UPDATE: Someone put Cohen's performance up on Youtube and it seems to confirm that she did no jumps either. But I felt that for that particular performance, she really didn't need to. It was still a great skate from her.

UPDATE II: Tara L. definitely skated at this show, I remember her skating during the opening and the finale. Perhaps my memory is foggy- while she did come out on the ice (alone) and perform for a short while (in the finale), she may not have done a full solo routine- but the other skaters did (minus Fleming, who was simply an honoree and did not skate).

You know...this is how I feel about the whole jumping thing: You get to this status (as a champion) in this sport, you really shouldn't need to be doing jumps & fancy tricks to keep your audience entertained. I'm just happy I got to see many of these skaters perform live, as I either missed or was unable to see them skate earlier in their careers.
    Last edited by RD; 12-05-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I wonder if Lipinski, Hughes, and Cohen are too proud to let the audience see them struggle with double salchows and double loops.

With Nicole Bobek's back story, it's kind of heartwarming to see her do her single axels and double toes and watch her really fight hard for that hit-or-miss double loop. But, for anyone else, it's embarrassing. Sarah Hughes might seriously struggle to get positive GOE on double jumps at Adult Nationals. Her basic technique is wretched. When you take away the rotation, there's not much left.

In the 90s, quality jumps went out the window in favor of fast rotation. Skaters like Kerrigan and Sato, who learned to jump up and out, are a lot more likely to retain their ability to do nice-looking jumps into their 40s. There are some exceptions, like Arakawa, who have both easy rotation and good quality, but I expect we'll increasingly see "pro" skaters who don't (or can't) jump.

vCash
    I'm only sorry that some of the 'veteran' ladies who skated at last year's Caesar's show -- Debi Thomas, Linda Fratianne, Tenley Albright -- were not here. Or how about Dorothy Hamill and other 'blasts from the past' who still skate occasionally but didn't attend either one of the Caesars shows? Ah well, I'll be grateful for who I'll see.

Edited to add, from Louis: In the 90s, quality jumps went out the window in favor of fast rotation. Skaters like Kerrigan and Sato, who learned to jump up and out, are a lot more likely to retain their ability to do nice-looking jumps into their 40s. There are some exceptions, like Arakawa, who have both easy rotation and good quality, but I expect we'll increasingly see "pro" skaters who don't (or can't) jump.

Excellent points, Louis! So many of today's wunderkinds just skim above the ice with their tight ratations - don't jump up & out, as you write. There was so much more 'ooph' to pre-1990s jumps.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post

You know...this is how I feel about the whole jumping thing: You get to this status (as a champion) in this sport, you really shouldn't need to be doing jumps & fancy tricks to keep your audience entertained. I'm just happy I got to see many of these skaters perform live, as I either missed or was unable to see them skate earlier in their careers.
    There are many skaters who could entertain me without doing jumps.Dorothy Hamill comes to mind immediately.Michelle Kwan's Greenville 06 performance when she was so injured that "she couldn't put her pants on by herself"...(a direct quote from a skater on the tour)..Just because one is a champion...whatever one's definition of that happens to be...doesn't mean one gets to rest on one's laurels and continually headline shows..And I will cut Sasha slack because last yr she did jump...I can't remember if she has jumped in anything this yr..And she's in school..

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    There are some exceptions, like Arakawa, who have both easy rotation and good quality, but I expect we'll increasingly see "pro" skaters who don't (or can't) jump.

I fear if that is the extent of the skating, we'll be seeing less and less of any "pro" skating on tv.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Just because one is a champion...whatever one's definition of that happens to be...doesn't mean one gets to rest on one's laurels and continually headline shows.
    True as well. But like I said before...if you're not going to do jumps, you'd better make sure all other aspects of your skating are of high-quality.

ETA: My original review has been updated to fill in gaps...Thanks everyone.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    True as well. But like I said before...if you're not going to do jumps, you'd better make sure all other aspects of your skating are of high-quality.
    I totally agree with this statement...

vCash
    It's true that Sasha has been jumping until recently, by all accounts. I hope she's not dealing with an injury.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Shizuka who did three triples in her program; nice to see a Ladies OGM who has turned pro and is going the Kristi route of really keeping her skills up.

Can the US adopt Shizuka?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post

Can the US adopt Shizuka?
    Many of "US" did in 06...

vCash
    Thanks RD for the review and photos. Sounds like you had a great time
    at a rocking show.

vCash
    Per my friend, Tara only came out in the finale and did her little quick turns across the ice steps and some spins.
    She was also in the opening.

I can't remember details or music (other than Joannie skated to True Colors)
    YES! True Colors. THAT was it. Thanks!

Yes, that's definitely one NBC needs to show- her, and Bobek, and Manley.

vCash
    RD,

Thank you for the photos and report from the show. It sounds like the Caesars Tribute II was a very entertaining show. IMO, the Caesars Tribute last year was one of the better Disson Shows. Hopefully the crowd at this years' show was good and they will have the Caesars Tribute III next year.

vCash
    She can't even do a single jump anymore or at least one or two doubles? It doesn't make sense.
    When Sarah was doing 2lp and 2sal while skating in SOI I remembered the fans were quite nasty in their criticisms towards her. So maybe that one reason why Sarah doesn't want to jump anymore: if she no longer has her triples then she would rather do any jump at all.

vCash
    Where are these Youtube videos? I'd love to see! Or were they taken down already?

ETA: Nevermind, I found some from someone who was there recording. Was totally meh at Sasha's.
    Last edited by Lanie; 12-06-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast