Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    May have missed her then while taking a break, tx.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Backstage photo tweeted by @DissonSkating:
    Tara Lipinski, Miki Ando, Katia Gordeeva, Joannie Rochette, Nicole Bobek

Joannie Rochette and Miki Ando poting at the post show meet & greet: http://yfrog.com/klhe1pij

Extended interview (7 minutes long) with Joannie Rochette to promote the show on 11/21: http://videos.nj.com/atlantic_city_v..._rochette.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.

vCash
    I want a review! Did anyone go!?!?!?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    I want a review! Did anyone go!?!?!?!?
    Careful what you ask for..

I went, and just got back home after an overnight stay in AC. Here's something I threw together on my way back...(warning: it's looooong!)

Just got back from the Caesar’s Tribute show last night! It was a great time, my first time in Atlantic City, so I made sure to have time to check out the place and do some walking around prior to the show.

Anyway, the show started a few minutes late, but before the actual show began the producer came out to speak to us. He welcomed us, and told us it was being taped for a TV special. He had us do loud, spontaneous cheers to simulate action during the show (I guess, for the moment the TV broadcast begins, for instance). I thought that was really interesting and I’d like to know how they do it. Shortly after that, the bottom of the stadium began filling with dry ice smoke, then they flashed all the stage lights, lowered the central lights- they appeared to be either testing things out or gathering more footage for the TV broadcast (wasn’t quite sure). The producer came out and listed all the skaters participating in the show and it was real interesting to hear the crowd’s reaction to each of the names- I don’t remember who got the biggest reaction- may have been Dick Button.

The actual show started with all the skaters coming out for the opening and skating around. I thought this was really cool because they skated around in a circle of smoke and then dispersed to do their moves.

I forgot the exact skate order (the order I list skaters is likely NOT the order they skated in), but I believe Nancy Kerrigan was first up. At the time I thought she was just alright, although it was really cool to see her skate. She fell on one of her jumps. We learned later on in the show that she was battling a case of strep throat (she sounded quite sick later on)- so with that in mind, I’m glad she came out and did her performance anyway despite that. [UPDATE 12/5: Joannie Rochette was next...interesting thing about her was, I remember seeing her on SOI last year and thinking while she was a good skater, she needed to work on her audience connection. That wasn't a problem here. I'm drawing a blank at what she skated to, but I do know that she really put heart and soul into her performance. At least that's how it felt live- not sure how it will come across on TV, if it will be lost. Sometimes I feel that TV doesn't do such a great job of conveying PRESENCE- what I'm realizing is a key component to true audience connection- because TV is constantly following every skater around with the same angles, etc.] Liz Manley was one of my favorites of the evening, she really got the crowd going with her routine. She shows such a joy for what she is doing and I’m sure she is happy to be back out on the ice. Again, no fancy tricks needed here. I’m already starting to forget who skated to what but it was an upbeat number. Latecia(sp?) Hubert skated to a number I didn’t recognize- not too familiar with her, didn’t like her quite as much as the others, but in a star-studded field like this, that still means it was quite an entertaining performance! Yuka Sato reminded us why she is, well, Yuka Sato, right? Her audience connection is rivaled by few out of all the skaters I’ve seen. About a third of the way through the show, Nancy Kerrigan came out and gave her speech for NBC sports. She introduced the next skater, Oly silver medalist Sasha Cohen, who did “Dos Gardenias” by the Buena Vista Social Club. [UPDATE 12/5: She did not do any jumps in this routine.] I have to say that after years of having underwhelmed me on SOI, this was actually quite an entertaining performance from her- she really seemed into the song and had much more audience connection with this piece than I ever remember seeing from her. [UPDATE 12/5: The Ice Theatre of New York also gave a performance about 1/3 way through. Very likely they will be omitted from the TV broadcast, which would be too bad because they were great as well.] Gordeeva was cool too, although she was the only one other than Kerrigan to fall on a jump during the show. [UPDATE 12/5: Lipinski skated in this show- she was in the opening as well as the finale- don't think she did a full solo, however.] After the 20-minute intermission, there were a few more skaters. Sarah Hughes skated- I think she was the only one (other than Liz Manley??) to not do any jumps in her routine. I have to say Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa are really great show skaters- they really have a soft style on the ice and have that “really entertaining without fancy tricks” thing about them…they got great applauses after their performances, probably more so than when they were introduced. And, how great it was to see Nicole Bobek back out on the ice after what she has been through. You know, they are all solid performers in their own right. Amazing to see all these legends skate in one single show. After the skaters skated, they did the tribute portion of the show…Dick Button came out and gave his speech on how he met and knew Peggy Fleming- and he really hasn’t lost a beat after all these years. Still cracking jokes, still making what some posters called “Buttonisms”…then some of the skaters (I think it was Hughes, Kerrigan and Manley?) came out and did a sort of on-ice tribute performance to one of Fleming’s favorite pieces. Then Fleming addressed the audience and accepted what was a great honor, etc. (after the show, one of the audience members noted how Fleming refers to figure skating as “our sport” as opposed to “my sport” like many others do. I agree). All the skaters got out, skated a finale, joined Dick and Peggy on the stage- it was really quite a moment there, I felt. Then they did their bows, and that was the end of “the show” portion…

Then they came out and did the TV re-takes for the Jan 1 broadcast. Kerrigan, Manley, Hughes and Gordeeva did re-takes. Not too sure why Hughes and Manley did the retakes since they did not do jumps- maybe the TV crew wanted certain parts of the program re-done for different angles, artistic flair, etc. Anyway, this was one of my favorite parts of the show (too bad some people didn’t stick around for it!) The producer told us to cheer, give them the same energy we did when they first performed, etc. And we sure did! First to re-take was Gordeeva, I believe. She only needed one re-take, nailed the problem jump the first time. Hughes came out and did her re-take. Nancy Kerrigan came out and did hers…man, it was just not her night tonight…felt sorry for her, really. She needed FOUR re-takes and I don’t even think she was able to fully nail the jump. Twice she fell and the other two times she turned out of the jump. I think they finally just said “good enough” and moved onto the next one, lol…Liz Manley came out and did her re-take- she ended up doing two. It was funny- after the first she was talking with the producer, guess they told her to do it again and when she got back out on the ice she let out a sigh, which got a laugh out of us…hehe. Then, Kerrigan had to come out AGAIN and re-do her speech, since they told her she talked too much the first time…she sounded really sick though, she needed two re-takes of the speech portion and sort of struggled with both parts…oh well. Guess the TV crew has their editing work cut out for them! They thanked us for coming out, and that was the end of the show!

Also...Peggy Fleming wished us Happy New Year at the end of her speech! (It is being aired on New Year's Day on NBC)
    Last edited by RD; 12-05-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Note: this has been updated 12/5 to fill in any gaps I missed earlier. Thanks everyone

vCash
    Thank you, RD!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Thank you, RD!
    No problem! American viewers have a great show to look forward to on New Year's.

A few of the photos I posted on Twitter during/shortly after the show:

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (producer speaking to us at start of show)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (show opening)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (ending poses after show opening)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Sasha Cohen)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Skaters join Dick & Peggy on stage)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Nancy Kerrigan skates by while on TV re-take #1)

vCash
    Thanks, RD! Sounds like a great show! Any recollection what music everyone skated to? I'm curious...so many faces we haven't seen for a while in this show!

vCash
    ^ Unfortunately not. Most pieces I didn't know off the top of my head. And the official show program does not have song choices listed...

More Twitter pics-

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Dick Button gives his speech on Peggy Fleming at the podium)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Kerrigan, Manley, Hughes skate tribute to Fleming)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Yuka Sato about to start her performance)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Miki Ando Y-spin)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Ending bows)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Hughes & Fleming pose backstage at the meet & greet after the show)

http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS/statu.../photo/1/large (Signed memorabilia)

vCash
    This sounds fantastic! Thanks for the reviews and the photos -- they all look so great.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It's good to see Nicole looking so well.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ^ That photo doesn't do justice to how she looked up close in person...

Hopefully you all will get to see her performance.

vCash
    You didn't mention Joannie's skate(s). How did she do, if you can remember?

vCash
    You're right, I forgot Joannie She was one of the first ones to skate...now that I think about it, she was second to skate after Kerrigan. Interesting thing about her was, I remember seeing her on SOI last year and thinking while she was a good skater, she needed to work on her audience connection. That wasn't a problem here. I'm drawing a blank at what she skated to, but I do know that she really put heart and soul into her performance. At least that's how it felt live- not sure how it will come across on TV, if it will be lost. Sometimes I feel that TV doesn't do such a great job of conveying PRESENCE- what I'm realizing is a key component to true audience connection- because TV is constantly following every skater around with the same angles, etc.

Something else I forgot to mention: the Ice Theatre of New York also gave a performance about 1/3 way through. Very likely they will be omitted from the TV broadcast, which would be too bad because they were great as well.

Everyone skated only once, apart from the re-takes.

ETA: Had I known I was going to be the only one posting thoughts on the show, I would have taken notes or something...truly relying on increasingly fading memory here to remember stuff. Sorry guys! Thought others would join in to fill in the gaps. (Still inviting those other folks who went to pitch in! )
    Last edited by RD; 12-05-2011 at 06:14 AM.

vCash
    Thanks, RD.

vCash
    Thanks for your review and pics!!! very much appreciated!!! Did Tara Lipinski skate an individual program, or did she just skate in the group numbers?? Thanks!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joemauerlover View Post
    Thanks for your review and pics!!! very much appreciated!!! Did Tara Lipinski skate an individual program, or did she just skate in the group numbers?? Thanks!!!
    Everybody did an individual performance (including Lipinski); Kerrigan, Manley and Hughes also did that tribute to Fleming; Ice Theatre of NY did a special performance; and all the ladies skated the opening and finale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Everybody did an individual performance (including Lipinski); Kerrigan, Manley and Hughes also did that tribute to Fleming; Ice Theatre of NY did a special performance; and all the ladies skated the opening and finale.
    See, I can't remember Tara's individual performance. Did she actually do one or was she part just part of the group numbers?

I don't have much of a report (didn't take notes), but I had a great time. My boyfriend came with me and really enjoyed the show (it was his first time see skating live). His favorites were Liz Manley, Latetia Hubert, and Miki Ando. Overall though, it was a great show. I really enjoyed the show. It was great to see Nicole Bobek back and looking great. Everyone was really behind her during her skate. Joannie was wonderful and Arakawa and Yuka Sato were other favorites of mine.

I can't remember details or music (other than Joannie skated to True Colors), but it was a great show. First time I've been to a show in years. I was just a long drive. If things were easier financially, I'd probably have stayed over. Instead, it was a nice 2 hour drive home after the show.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Tara tweeted last month that she wasn't going to do a solo.

vCash
    Per my friend, Tara only came out in the finale and did her little quick turns across the ice steps and some spins.

She was part of a group of skaters from a skating club, and they were overall rather disappointed with the quality of skating. They felt that considering several of the skaters' credentials (Sarah, Sasha), to see them do programs without jumps/harder skills was disappointing. Did hear major kudos for Joannie, Miki, and and especially Shizuka who did three triples in her program; nice to see a Ladies OGM who has turned pro and is going the Kristi route of really keeping her skills up.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Per my friend, Tara only came out in the finale and did her little quick turns across the ice steps and some spins.

especially Shizuka who did three triples in her program; nice to see a Ladies OGM who has turned pro and is going the Kristi route of really keeping her skills up.
    Well said.

What I do find interesting is that in an interview, plus in conversation w/me, Nicole said that it took 3 months to get her jumps "bacK"..Nicole had been off of the ice for what 7 years? and had been through a rather negative experience. Yet, she can jump. Perhaps with Tara's hip, she can't and I do understand that, but I don't understand why Sarah doesn't jump...and no, I am not trashing her, just curious.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast