Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Way to go Javi. Someone made some history!

vCash
    Javi!
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synchkat View Post
    Someone made some history!
    In fact, he made Christopher Columbus look like an amateur.

vCash
    It was great he medaled! He could be a contender for gold in the near future.

vCash
    He already is a contender for gold, IMO....has been all season. If he hadn't made that mistake in the SP...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    He already is a contender for gold, IMO....has been all season. If he hadn't made that mistake in the SP...
    It wasn't just that--his FS had a few hiccups too, but overall he did a fine job. At least there were no...um...falls.

vCash
    I think it's too hard for Xavier to be perfect at every competition throughout the season with 4 quads and two 3a. He and Orser need to figure out how to peak next year for the Olympic and not at earlier events like Europeans, GPF, etc. He's a charming performer. I hope he keeps the Chaplin LP for next season.

vCash
    Nice congratulatory article about Javi's historic finish in the Spanish press: http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201303...369336511.html
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Jumping for joy over Javier's bronze medal!

vCash
    Javi's bronze medal winning performances:
    Long program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHEMhLbVWM0 British Eurosport
    Short program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImBgKOBSvAo

Hilarious exhibition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1RPloWgJp0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Nice congratulatory article about Javi's historic finish in the Spanish press: http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201303...369336511.html

Took the liberty of doing a rough translation:

Javier Fernandez keeps breaking the ice in a sport with hardly any tradition in Spain. Less than a month from becoming 22 years old, the skater from Madrid solidified his status as a star with a historic bronze medal in the World Championship, the first medal for a Spanish skater.

Fernandez has become the Spanish pioneer competing for the top places in the last few years. The first Spanish men’s Olympian in half a century and reached the top some months ago becoming European Champion.

The Worlds in Canada have confirmed the quality of an athlete who has had to leave his country and complete a preparation that could take him, next winter, to reach another frontier for Spanish figure skating: An Olympic medal in the Sochi Olympics 2014.

Fernandez’ performance also translated into 2 entries automatically attained for Spain in Sochi since these Worlds determined 80 percent of the entries for the Games.

His medal was especially commendable because it forced Fernandez to win the close battle for the third medal, after Canadian Patrick Chan, local hero, defending Champion and favorite, and an unexpected guest, Denis Ten from Kazakhstan, fought a tight race for the gold that resolved in favor of Chan, the biggest star right now.

Javier was in seventh place after the short program Wednesday. In the free skate he finished fourth(168.30 points) gaining the five points that separated him from the medals and gaining four places he needed to win a medal, which is more than the Spaniard expected. He was focused in finishing in the top five and getting an Olympic spot for Spain.

With suspense, he took the bronze away from the Japanese Yuzuru Hanyu by barely four points. It wasn’t a long program without faults, but his flashes of quality, the magnetism of his choreography and an already typical trademark of the Spaniard, his quadruples, made all the difference.

Becoming a young Charles Chaplin on skates, he began his skate with his hands in his pockets. Fernandez didn’t fail in his spectacular jumps, the first weapon of his army. He finished his long program with 168.30 points to place himself as temporary leader(249.06) before the last six competitors.

Only the first two in the short program, Patrick Chan and Denis Ten gained more points. The third place of the Madrileño(from Madrid) means the presence of two Spanish skaters for the men’s competition in the Olympic Games.

Javier excitedly hugged Brian Orser, the coach with whom he trains daily in Toronto, where he has established residence. He also saw one of his dreams come true: To share the medal stand with Patrick Chan, who the Spaniard considers the master of the current generation of skaters.

After his performance and while he waited for all the remaining skaters to finish, Javier’s heart “was going to explode. I was getting nervous, more and more every time. And when the last skater finished and I saw myself there, still in the third place, I didn’t know what to do: cry, jump…I ended up hugging Patrick” Javier said.

And Patrick Chan also had reasons to enjoy the hug. The local hero had to fight to get the gold from Denis Ten, from Kazakhstan , who was about to steal his short program advantage, where he attained the best marks of his life, 98.37 points. Ten made him suffer, but Chan finished conquering his third consecutive World title.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    The gala exhibition ... really? ... really?? ... really??? ... He must be so confident in so many ways to pull that off.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-18-2013 at 01:56 AM.

vCash
    Can you elaborate for those of us who didn't see it?

vCash
    I really like that article. A nice balance of giving the facts, pouring in a bit of home town delight and giving credit where it's due.

His exhibition -- what a hoot. I was laughing my way through it.
    Crazy about sports!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Just watch the video when you get the chance.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-18-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    See the video link in post #50.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    The gala exhibition ... really? ... really?? ... really??? ... He must be so confident in so many ways to pull that off.
    It has its funny moments, but it definitely went on too long. It needs editing ! I couldn't see too well whom Xavier was "flirting" with during the "I Want To Know What Love Is" number; All I can see was a middle-aged man sitting at the barrier . Olivia-Newton John is always welcomed.

vCash
    The exhibition was one of the funniest I have seen in a long time. I didn't realise he had such a sense of humour. I loved how he threw jumps in out of nothing. Also probably explains about his fitness if that is the way he trains
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    See the video link in post #50.
    Thank you- I missed that post somehow...

Thank goodness he medaled! Imagine if he wasn't in the exhibition and we had missed that!
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-18-2013 at 12:43 PM.

vCash

Thank goodness he medaled! Imagine if he wasn't in the exhibition and we had missed that!
    With an exhibition like that I'm sure he would have been invited anyways!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast