Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't see much in him? His jump technique is very odd...
    I always look forward to seeing him skate, and his skating looked much cleaner this year (at least in the GP events), but if your standard is classical style, then no, he probably doesn't do anything for you.

I'm one of those people who doesn't see why you can't like both Elvis and Curry.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    This link didn't work for me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    You can click on "news" column, it works for me.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    This link works for me: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I hope Orser and Wilson don't have Javier skate like an Orser's clone this season.

Javier is skating to Charlie Chaplin for his LP. Another charming Spanish male skater also skated to Charlie Chaplin in 2003, but I can't remember his name.

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia, the link works for me now.

Looking forward to Javier's new programs and improvements. Hope he medals in the Europeans and GP series. Javier is such a sweetie. Go Javier go. You can do it! Spain is proud of their son.

vCash
    Icenetwork.com: What do you think about Czech skater Michal Brezina recently saying about Plushenko: "Skaters like me and Javy [Fernandez] and Tommy (Tomas Verner) have to skate clean and show Zhenya, 'You were great; it's our time now.' " Do you agree with that?

Fernandez: What Michal said is really true. Now new skaters are coming really hard, pushing the skaters at the top, and each year we are going to push harder and harder.
    Good luck to them.

vCash
    Thought I'd bump this.

Philip Hersh's article on Javi:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-74620747/

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Would you like to cross-post the article link in this Fernandez news thread in GSD? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...sports-royalty

ETA link to the "Fernandez joins ranks of Spanish sports royalty" pre-Worlds article that's posted in GSD: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Would you like to cross-post the article link in this Fernandez news thread in GSD? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...sports-royalty
    Just did. Thanks.

vCash
    people have asked about javi's conditioning - he is quite laissez fair about it. speaking to a coach at his rink, i've heard that he still smokes and hates to cross-train (ie never does it), but is very naturally talented with his jumping. we'll see if the olympic season will encourage him to cross-train a bit more effectively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganaLefay View Post
    I like Fernandez, but can someone pls explain why his SS are so high? (I am not being sarcastic, I am really looking for some analysis). To me, his steps are very labored and his spins are not that impressive (the only thing that's light and amazing about him are his jumps).
    Well I think he has very good skating skills. He has good edge quality and his blade is always on a lean one way or the other when it moves so he doesn't skate on flats. He also has good knee bend and ankle flexion and nice flow across the ice so there is a nice fluidity to his movement. I thought he was fast but I have only ever seen him on video.

I was first impressed with his skating skills in his drunk pirate step sequence. One of the most difficult thing to do is to appear off balance because you are taking your weight away from over your skate. At the same time he was completing difficult turns and was really pushing the edge to the limit. In his SP step sequence this season he does the same thing by having his body move from his balance point.

At the end of the day skating skills is more than just speed.

Does that help explain it?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks for the links, aftershocks, Sylvia, and aemeraldrainc.
    I love Javi and am happy he has a fan thread here

btw, Aussie Willy, I always enjoy your explanations. Thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post

btw, Aussie Willy, I always enjoy your explanations. Thank you.
    Thank you. I really appreciate the nice comment.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well I think he has very good skating skills. He has good edge quality and his blade is always on a lean one way or the other when it moves so he doesn't skate on flats. He also has good knee bend and ankle flexion and nice flow across the ice so there is a nice fluidity to his movement. I thought he was fast but I have only ever seen him on video.

I was first impressed with his skating skills in his drunk pirate step sequence. One of the most difficult thing to do is to appear off balance because you are taking your weight away from over your skate. At the same time he was completing difficult turns and was really pushing the edge to the limit. In his SP step sequence this season he does the same thing by having his body move from his balance point.

At the end of the day skating skills is more than just speed.
    Wonderfully said. However, he does lack the ease of movement that Chan and Takahashi have. So if he is to have a run at Sochi (which he is perfectly capable of doing) I think he could further improve his flow.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Wonderfully said. However, he does lack the ease of movement that Chan and Takahashi have. So if he is to have a run at Sochi (which he is perfectly capable of doing) I think he could further improve his flow.
    Wonderfully said. However, they do lack the consistency of very athletic quadruple jumps that Javi and Plushy have. So if they are to have a run at Sochi (which they are perfectly capable of doing) I think they could further improve their consistency and athleticism.

... Seriously, Patrick, a Canadian, lost to Javi, a Spaniard, at Skate Canada ... and Javi comes from a country where it hardly snows and has no skating tradition, although I'm certain it will not go unnoticed that Javi is a Euro Skater while the Canadian and Japanese are 4CC skaters.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 03-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    I hope he skates a stellar LP with all 3 quads! Sending him lots of good energy

vCash
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FERNANDEZ, KICK BOOTY IN THE FS!!

Boy is he a fox, hope he lands all his jumps and leaps forward by a mile.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast