View Poll Results: Have you ever seriously wished (a) certain skater(s) to fall/fail?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course!

99 78.57%
  • Only once ...

3 2.38%
  • No! Never!

10 7.94%
  • Won't tell ...

10 7.94%
  • Other! Other?

4 3.17%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Question Have you ever seriously wished (a) certain skater(s) to fall/fail?

Be true to yourself!!!

vCash
    At the SLC Olympics, Hughes had skated a blinder, and Kwan had fallen. When Slutskaya took the ice, I knew she must place 3rd or lower in the free for Kwan to win. So when she bobbled on the flip, I wanted her to fall on it so much that I flicked my finger at her via the TV screen in an attempt to push her down. Well it didn't work.

It was nothing against Slutskaya. I just really wanted Kwan to win.

vCash
    Always. I am reincarnate. ....
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Ack! I was thinking of the same event. Slutskaya was last to skate, and I knew Kwan's OGM hung in the balance. Every time she entered into a jump, I yelled at my TV, 'Fall already!". But she klunked her way through every jump, the landing on that wonky 3Flip raised my hopes only to crush them.

vCash
    Yes, I wanted Plushy to fall in the SP in SLC. I was when he really did.

I'm a fan, I know.

vCash
    Of course...I hoped Oksana Baiul wouldn't be able to skate in the LP in Lillehammer when I heard in the morning : collision at a practice session, she has injured her leg.
    Oooooooh, I'm bad...

vCash
    Not sure why but since the implementation of COP this fan doesn't have to wish anymore.

vCash
    The only time for me was at the 02 olympics .I was a mad A/P fan and I didn't I really didn't want FP/M to fall or anything
    I would never want a skater to injure themselves but after them winning the world gold A/P had to win .FP/M went down in the FD
    It worked out well them only getting the bronze but I admit feeling a little guilty and felt sorry for Babs crying on the podium
    Last edited by nuge; 09-16-2013 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    I have a lot.

However there are 2 performances I will always remember because I feel like my wishing to do bad worked maybe a bit too well!

Sasha Cohen 2010 US Nationals LP
    Carolina Kostner at 2010 Olympics LP

vCash
    I hoped Butyrskaya and Slutskaya would make big mistakes in their long programs since I didnt want to see Kwan not win after her amazing LP at the 2000 Worlds. That is what happened.

I admit I was also happy when Kwan fell in the short program at the 99 Worlds though as I wanted to see Maria pull a big upset and win there.

I usually wanted B&E to make mistakes (apart from the 93 Worlds where I wanted them to win) as I wanted teams like Bechke & Petrov, Shishkova & Naumov, and Kovarikova & Novotny to place above Brasseur & Eisler for medals when they competed, as I knew the judges would always favor B&E over any of those teams if they went clean.

I wanted Slutskaya to win the 2006 Olympic Gold so I was hoping for Cohen and Arakawa to fall, especialy as I had a feeling Irina wouldnt skate that well that night for some unexplainable reason, just a hunch I had. Cohen did, but Shizuka didnt.

I definitely wanted Cohen to fall at the 2010 Nationals as I am pretty sure the judges would have put her on the team (probably correctly) had she skated cleanly, and I did not think she deserved to go to the Olympics over girls who it would probably be their only chance to shine (Flatt and Nagasu in hindsight especialy) and who had competed and slaved all quad for it. Plus Sasha really had no hopes for an Olympic medal that year anyway, so in that sense it made no difference.

I absolutely wanted the 1994 Olympics podium to be some combination of Sato, Chen, and Chouinard, so I wanted to see Baiul, Kerrigan, and Bonaly all mess up at the 94 Olympics. Bonaly did, but Baiul and Kerrigan didnt, while Sato and Chouinard (and to a lesser degree Chen) messed up themselves.

I waned Ito or Harding to win the 92 Olympics so I was hoping Yamaguchi would fall. She did, but they did more.

I dont think there is anything wrong as a fan with rooting interest hoping for mistakes. I try to not hope for a disaester, just faltering enough that the people I want to see do better have a window to attain their goal. If you want someone to win or medal or achieve a certain placing, and that isnt even possible if others do well, why would you want to see those others do spectacularly. If it happens it is still great as it is a great and superbly skated even, even if your rooting interests are shut out of their or your goals for them, but that doesnt happen often anyway.

As for Slutskaya she often skated last and almost never did what I hoped she would do. At the 2002 Olympics I wanted her to either skate really well and win the gold, or fall and lead to a Kwan gold. I didnt even really care much who won this time, as long as it was anyone but Hughes. Instead she did a blah in between performance that still had mistakes, and ended up fitting right in the small window available that made Hughes an Olympic Champion.

2000 Worlds she actually did what I hoped, didnt skate great to win the gold, and didnt skate badly to allow Butyrskaya who had messed up her long program earlier to "back door" her way to the gold.

1997 Worlds she did as I hoped and turned in an incredibly gutsy performance that I thought might place her 2nd in the long to give Kwan the gold over Tara (although I was also a bit worried then about her winning the LP and bumping Kwan to bronze while still keeping Tara even with a 3rd place in gold), but the judges said no.

2006 Olympics as mentioned I was hoping she would skate well and win and she didnt.

Amazing how often she skated either last or last of the contenders with the whole event in her balance.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 09-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Often. Most recently Chan. Too bad it really doesn't work any more.
    Although he falls, falls and falls, he rarely fail. And I'm still wondering why ...

vCash
    Oh I forgot Chan. I hate to wish this on anyone but he is not who I want to see win big events so I have to root for 7 falls from him each time, as with 6 or less he is a lock to be given gold by the judges each time. Given that his main competitors currently are slightly inconsistent too, sometimes I need to root for 9 assuming they might have 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Oh I forgot Chan. I hate to wish this on anyone but he is not who I want to see win big events so I have to root for 7 falls from him each time, as with 6 or less he is a lock to be given gold by the judges each time. Given that his main competitors currently are slightly inconsistent too, sometimes I need to root for 9 assuming they might have 2.

I was about to say 7 may not be enough, before I read the rest of your post.

vCash
    No. I only wish for certain skaters who shall not be named to pop jumps or fall prey to overzealous technical callers. It seems more humane that way

vCash
    I voted for 'Other' because I don't really remember. Perhaps in the 2010 Olympics when I rooted for Lambiel, but all I remember is how much I wanted him to do well, and how disappointed I was when he didn't (most of all that he didn't show his great programs in the way that he could). Mostly I just wish my favorites to do really well, but even when that doesn't happen my attitude is may the best skater on the day/days win. I am disappointed that my favorite didn't skate that well and/or didn't win/medal, but usually I can live with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    No. I only wish for certain skaters who shall not be named to pop jumps or fall prey to overzealous technical callers. It seems more humane that way
    You should wish for them to tack an extra 3T on top of the last jump... Oh, that would be evil.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    What a weird thread.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    judgejudy thinks it's a great thread.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Other . . . when I want my favorite skater to win I hope for everybody to skate clean

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    judgejudy thinks it's a great thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I hoped Butyrskaya and Slutskaya would make big mistakes in their long programs since I didnt want to see Kwan not win after her amazing LP at the 2000 Worlds. That is what happened.

I admit I was also happy when Kwan fell in the short program at the 99 Worlds though as I wanted to see Maria pull a big upset and win there.

I usually wanted B&E to make mistakes (apart from the 93 Worlds where I wanted them to win) as I wanted teams like Bechke & Petrov, Shishkova & Naumov, and Kovarikova & Novotny to place above Brasseur & Eisler for medals when they competed, as I knew the judges would always favor B&E over any of those teams if they went clean.

I wanted Slutskaya to win the 2006 Olympic Gold so I was hoping for Cohen and Arakawa to fall, especialy as I had a feeling Irina wouldnt skate that well that night for some unexplainable reason, just a hunch I had. Cohen did, but Shizuka didnt.

I definitely wanted Cohen to fall at the 2010 Nationals as I am pretty sure the judges would have put her on the team (probably correctly) had she skated cleanly, and I did not think she deserved to go to the Olympics over girls who it would probably be their only chance to shine (Flatt and Nagasu in hindsight especialy) and who had competed and slaved all quad for it. Plus Sasha really had no hopes for an Olympic medal that year anyway, so in that sense it made no difference.

I absolutely wanted the 1994 Olympics podium to be some combination of Sato, Chen, and Chouinard, so I wanted to see Baiul, Kerrigan, and Bonaly all mess up at the 94 Olympics. Bonaly did, but Baiul and Kerrigan didnt, while Sato and Chouinard (and to a lesser degree Chen) messed up themselves.

I waned Ito or Harding to win the 92 Olympics so I was hoping Yamaguchi would fall. She did, but they did more.

I dont think there is anything wrong as a fan with rooting interest hoping for mistakes. I try to not hope for a disaester, just faltering enough that the people I want to see do better have a window to attain their goal. If you want someone to win or medal or achieve a certain placing, and that isnt even possible if others do well, why would you want to see those others do spectacularly. If it happens it is still great as it is a great and superbly skated even, even if your rooting interests are shut out of their or your goals for them, but that doesnt happen often anyway.

As for Slutskaya she often skated last and almost never did what I hoped she would do. At the 2002 Olympics I wanted her to either skate really well and win the gold, or fall and lead to a Kwan gold. I didnt even really care much who won this time, as long as it was anyone but Hughes. Instead she did a blah in between performance that still had mistakes, and ended up fitting right in the small window available that made Hughes an Olympic Champion.

2000 Worlds she actually did what I hoped, didnt skate great to win the gold, and didnt skate badly to allow Butyrskaya who had messed up her long program earlier to "back door" her way to the gold.

1997 Worlds she did as I hoped and turned in an incredibly gutsy performance that I thought might place her 2nd in the long to give Kwan the gold over Tara (although I was also a bit worried then about her winning the LP and bumping Kwan to bronze while still keeping Tara even with a 3rd place in gold), but the judges said no.

2006 Olympics as mentioned I was hoping she would skate well and win and she didnt.

Amazing how often she skated either last or last of the contenders with the whole event in her balance.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast