Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I agree the woman's a lowlife but as some people have commented on twitter I wonder if what she actually needed was a doctor more than the police.

She didn't sound drunk to me but she looked like she might have been high, and that seems like reason enough to question her parenting skills.
    I'm not one to diagnose based on a youtube video(or in general), but the woman's repetitive comments, tongue and mouth movements and behavior in general seem to indicate she is on something and/or has some issues going on.

Her nationality IMO is incidental. You can find this kind of person in any country repeating the same trash and acting in a similar manner for country x, y or z. Still a shame though.

I hope she gets help. If not for her, then for her son(?) who shouldn't have to grow up in an environment like that. JMO

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understood from danceronice's comment she agreed with that woman about Polish people being worse from British people...
    I'm not danceronice, but what I thought she was saying was the woman was complaining about white people, which is unusual in this sort of thing; IOW, it wasn't so much a racist rant as expected but a truly xenophobic one.

That kind of surprised me, too, as when people go off like this, it's usually completely focused on people of color invading their shores. OTOH, immigrant Poles haven't exactly been warmly embraced everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Her nationality IMO is incidental. You can find this kind of person in any country repeating the same trash and acting in a similar manner for country x, y or z. Still a shame though.
    Yeah, she's certainly not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    As I said, the charges I'm sure wouldn't stick but she for sure would have been arrested for the myriad of reason I stated before. Her hate speech and disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct could have very easily incited a riot and if not for her child on her lap, I have no doubt it would have.
    I can't think of a single thing she would have been arrested for in the US. If anything, I could see her being given protection, for I am sure she would have been threatened after the video went viral. Hate speech isn't illegal; she didn't incite a riot; I wouldn't think her conduct would not be considered disorderly under most laws.

IME, if the police started arresting people for mouthing off on public transport, they would be very busy indeed.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    IME, if the police started arresting people for mouthing off on public transport, they would be very busy indeed.
    And the number of people allowed on my two most frequent bus routes would be very small, indeed.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I have only had fab experiences with Brits...so they(except this woman) are fab in my books. Can I stereotype that?

And I am not just saying that because Sharps started up FSU...though she is one of the fab people I have met that came to Kitchener for the GPF.
    Right there with you! When a friend and I traveled in England for ten days, every single time we were standing on a corner with a map trying to figure out where we were, women would stop to offer help and directions. They were all fabulous!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    And the number of people allowed on my two most frequent bus routes would be very small, indeed.
    More seats for us! Yay!!!
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I'm jumping on the "she's batshit insane" wagon. She didn't seem drunk to me. I'm also wondering if she noticed that she was being filmed the entire time and if that was a factor in the length of her rant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I'm jumping on the "she's batshit insane" wagon
    I don't think she's insane, just hateful. Not everyone who goes off like this is drunk, high, or has a mental disorder - it's just that we like to think there's a reason. Sometimes the reason is just as genevieve said, she's a hateful bat.

vCash
    Speaking as someone who has a psychology minor and not a major, I hand out the "insane" label pretty liberally. If you are on a public tram loudly spewing racist gibberish for all to hear, you are batshit crazy. It doesn't matter to me if she's never diagnosed with an actual mental disorder, she's still nuts enough to go out and yell crap like that.

vCash
    I'm actually surprised they found her.
    There's CCTV everywhere in the UK, so the authorities probably were able to identify and find her quite easily, actually.

I have to say, while extremism, populism and xenophobia has been on the rise in Western Europe in recent years, there are many (perhaps the majority?) Western Europeans who disapprove of this trend and are perfectly happy living in diverse communities, even if they don't necessarily embrace "multiculturalism" a hundred percent. London is an extremely diverse and cosmopolitan city and most Londoners I've met are quite proud of that.

I'm not educated enough on the subject to know whether this woman is abusing any substances, but I don't think she's 'crazy;' I think she's a hateful, xenophobic, racist person whose views are dangerous to upholding the peace in her society.

vCash
    Disorderly conduct seems to be the way to go, but it could have been plenty more charges we probably haven't even heard of.

Here's one where a guy (who is a lawyer) who was walking across the street from police, yelled at a police officer "That’s why I hate the police" and he was arrested.

the group noticed five or six police cruisers surrounding two cars in an apparent traffic stop on the other side of the street. It seemed to Tuma that was more cops than necessary.

“That’s why I hate the police,” Tuma said. He told the Huffington Post that in a loud sing-song voice, he then chanted, “I hate the police, I hate the police.”

One officer reacted strongly to Tuma’s song. “Hey! Hey! Who do you think you’re talking to?” Tuma recalled the officer shouting as he strode across an intersection to where Tuma was standing.

“Who do you think you are to think you can talk to a police officer like that?” the police officer said, according to Luke Platzer, 30, one of Tuma’s companions.

Tuma said he responded, “It is not illegal to say I hate the police. It’s not illegal to express my opinion walking down the street.”

According to Tuma and Platzer, the officer pushed Tuma against an electric utility box, continuing to ask who he thought he was and to say he couldn’t talk to police like that.

“I didn’t curse,” Tuma said. “I asked, am I being arrested? Why am I a being arrested?”

Within minutes, the officer had cuffed Tuma. The charge: disorderly conduct — just like Gates, who was arrested after police responded to a report of a possible break-in at his home and Gates protested their ensuing behavior.

D.C.’s disorderly conduct statute bars citizens from breaching the peace by doing anything “in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others” or by shouting or making noise “either outside or inside a building during the nighttime to the annoyance or disturbance of any considerable number of persons.”
    Here is one where at a speech he asked a graphic question and was arrested.

Two cops approached me. I figured they were going to tell me I had to leave, so I said "You can't fire me, because I quit!"

"You're under arrest."

It was my turn to be shocked. I tried to ask them what for; saying "f--- her in the ---" at a college isn't a crime, last time I checked. They apparently mistook my inquiries for aggression, and grabbed me roughly and slammed me into the door. Within seconds the backmost two or three rows were surging forward, following the scene as the cops dragged me out the door. They yelled and chanted; my friends were more outraged than I'd ever seen any of them before. As they pushed me into the car, I heard my good friend Jeffrey Stockwell scream, "THIS ISN'T A JUSTICE SYSTEM! YOU CALL THIS PROTECTING AND SERVING?!" The crowd took up a chant at the UTPD officers: "Shame! Shame! Shame!"

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Disorderly conduct seems to be the way to go, but it could have been plenty more charges we probably haven't even heard of.
    Well, anything is possible, I suppose.

I've never heard of anyone being arrested for disorderly conduct after the fact. Arrests for disorderly conduct are usually made to stop the conduct. That wouldn't be the case here.

And your first example isn't exactly evidence that it would be considering that a) he was arrested while mouthing off and b) he sued for false arrest; his record has been expunged, and he settled for an undisclosed amount in punitive and compensatory damages. The officer who arrested him had to apologize for the arrest and may have been fired; I couldn't find anything about what happened to him.

In your second example, the guy was also arrested while mouthing off at Ann Coulter after warnings had been issued to students to stop making verbal outbursts. His particular offense appears from the police report to have been using obscenities after the warnings had been issued. He was charged with a misdemeanor and released. At most, he had to pay a fine.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I'm not danceronice, but what I thought she was saying was the woman was complaining about white people, which is unusual in this sort of thing; IOW, it wasn't so much a racist rant as expected but a truly xenophobic one.

That kind of surprised me, too, as when people go off like this, it's usually completely focused on people of color invading their shores. OTOH, immigrant Poles haven't exactly been warmly embraced everywhere.
    If, by "people," you mean people in the U.S. over recent decades, then yes, for the most part. Go back a hundred years or more in the U.S., and it would be Southern and Eastern Europeans and, if you go back far enough, the Irish and the Germans.

Interestingly enough, when most of these groups first arrived in the U.S. -- or, even earlier, the British colonies -- they were not considered "white," and some still aren't.

The cultural boundaries separating white Americans from other racial or ethnic categories are contested and always changing. According to John Tehranian, among those not considered white at some points in American history have been: the Irish, Germans, Jews, Italians, Spaniards, white Hispanics, Slavs, and Greeks. Studies have found that while current parameters officially encompassed Arabs as part of the White American racial category, many Arab Americans from places other than the Levant feel they are not white and are not perceived as white by American society."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people

vCash
    Well, anything is possible, I suppose.

I've never heard of anyone being arrested for disorderly conduct after the fact. Arrests for disorderly conduct are usually made to stop the conduct. That wouldn't be the case here.

And your first example isn't exactly evidence that it would be considering that a) he was arrested while mouthing off and b) he sued for false arrest; his record has been expunged, and he settled for an undisclosed amount in punitive and compensatory damages. The officer who arrested him had to apologize for the arrest and may have been fired; I couldn't find anything about what happened to him.
    I'm surprised he was even arrested; how can that happen in the USA?

I thought Americans had freedom of speech and you can say anything you want WITHOUT being arrested? What a strange turn of events. TWO YEARS LATER......after he was arrested and spent the night in jail, he finally got the last laugh...or did he; it seems if he just would have minded his own business, he wouldn't have been consumed by this problem for 2 years. At least he admits it.

And although Tuma broke no laws by saying, ''I hate the police,'' he's come through this two-year ordeal with his own regret for having said it. ''It's not my goal to be offensive. And knowing now the process that ensued, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.''
    In your second example, the guy was also arrested while mouthing off at Ann Coulter after warnings had been issued to students to stop making verbal outbursts. His particular offense appears from the police report to have been using obscenities after the warnings had been issued. He was charged with a misdemeanor and released. At most, he had to pay a fine.
    I did say ad nauseam the charges probably wouldn't stick but they were both arrested anyway and just because the cops were there in those two examples is trivial. If enough other people called the cops they still would have been arrested, people do get arrested after the fact, cops do not have to be on site. Cops are rarely standing around when there is an altercation and the offender doesn't get off scott free because of it; disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace is in the eye of whoever witnesses it and calls 911.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I don't think she's insane, just hateful. Not everyone who goes off like this is drunk, high, or has a mental disorder - it's just that we like to think there's a reason. Sometimes the reason is just as genevieve said, she's a hateful bat.
    This, thank you very much.

vCash
    Racist Tube rant woman Jacqueline Woodhouse jailed

Jacqueline Woodhouse, 42, of Romford, east London, directed an expletive-ridden rant at Tube passengers on the Central line on 23 January.

A seven-minute video of the verbal assault was uploaded to YouTube.

She received a 21-week prison sentence and a five-year Asbo at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Woodhouse admitted racially aggravated intentional harassment, at the court, earlier in May.
    Explanation of what an "ASBO" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-So...ehaviour_Order

I wonder what the exact specifications of the ASBO are.

(And I'm about the last entry under "Less Common ASBOs" in that second link.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123