Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    No, because Zillow is the major real estate website that provides home estimates and city median home prices. It's quite well-known.
    I know about zillow. No doubt you know the definition of average. Do you think that zillow's average quotes provide better and more comprehensive information about real estate than actually going around and looking at homes, talking to realtors, i.e., doing field research? Also, actually living in the area?
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    But anyhow, you seemed to miss this comment I made: Not sure why you are getting fussy or combative. I mentioned Orinda because it has the top ranked schools in all of California, so if quality schooling were an issue for you, then I suggested that as an option cheaper and closer than the Peninsula (with great public transport to boot). If schooling isn't an issue, then it's not an issue.
    That's the thing--Orinda is neither cheaper nor closer to me than the places on the Peninsula that I've considered--as in both looked on the internet and have physically gone there, to look both at schools and homes. You seem to be missing this point. Again, you cannot expect as you seem to do, to know the real situation from reading averages.

I am also made it clear that I am not trying to be snarky, or if you prefer, fussy or combative. I am wondering why the insult.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Wow, what a joke. As if there are hordes of Canadians desperate to cross the border.
    Canada would not look kindly on the U.S. casually allowing Canadians to emigrate after Canada provided them with an education and healthcare.

I work at a medical research facility in the U.S. And this is a particularly sensitive issue when foreign scientists and physicians come to study or collaborate. The country that nurtured them wants them back.

It is not just about protecting U.S. workers, although there is that too.

Plus what country would want citizens who are going to leave as soon as the going
    gets rough? It makes sense to make the process difficult as a test of commitment.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 12-04-2011 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Canada would not look kindly on the U.S. casually allowing Canadians to emigrate after Canada provided them with an education and healthcare.
    Seems to me that Canadians who wanted to work in the US badly enough were usually able to find a way to do so; that is, until the financial crisis hit. I'm sure it's probably not quite as easy as it used to be.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    San Francisco struck me as the most European city in the U.S. I've been to (and yes I lived there ), so maybe you wouldn't like to live in Europe as much as you think.
    To me it's Savannah Georgia - way more than San Francisco. Seriously. Except for the weather, it really reminded me of Europe.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    To me it's Savannah Georgia - way more than San Francisco. Seriously. Except for the weather, it really reminded me of Europe.
    To me it's Boston, the architecture and the cobblestone streets. I would love to visit Savannah and Charleston.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Great solution. For someone who has no issue breaking up his or her family.
    Obviously, the divorce was a long time coming. It was more to illustrate that making a decision to move can be made if the will is truly there.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Seems to me that Canadians who wanted to work in the US badly enough were usually able to find a way to do so; that is, until the financial crisis hit. I'm sure it's probably not quite as easy as it used to be.
    Yes and no. Until the financial crisis hit, H1 visas were usually gone by April nationally. Some friends in high tech told me that this is no longer true. However, it's become more difficult to claim that it is not possible to find the right skill set in the US, which is one of the requirements for the visa. When high tech was booming, employers could claim this for developers with little experience, because there were theoretically more jobs than schools graduating developers. Now, not so much.

Obviously, the divorce was a long time coming. It was more to illustrate that making a decision to move can be made if the will is truly there.
    Makes sense, if the circumstances were at all similar.

I suspect that if IceAlisa's complaints about the Bay Area are that strong, that the upsides of staying there -- family, friends, job -- are even stronger. In your example, obviously not.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Makes sense, if the circumstances were at all similar.
    Didn't realise that there were only one set of circumstances required for a person to move to another city. People move for all sorts of reasons.

I suspect that if IceAlisa's complaints about the Bay Area are that strong, that the upsides of staying there -- family, friends, job -- are even stronger. In your example, obviously not.
    I suspect that IceAlisa just really likes living in San Francisco despite what she says.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

You got it, kwanfan1818.

I suspect that IceAlisa just really likes living in San Francisco despite what she says.
    I suspect fred just really wants to move to Venezuela, despite what he says.

Seriously, there are great advantages to living here, no doubt. The different cultures, the food are great, not to mention the obvious draw of the family, friends and jobs. But the politics are infuriating, schools are abysmal (although we've managed to solve the problem) and the fog is depressing. Oh and aside from the magnificent Yuan Yuan Tan, SF Ballet sucks.

Also, I really miss swimming in warm water. I grew up spending summers on the beach, so my dream is to live next to a body of water that's relatively warm and where I could have balmy summer nights. Working on this.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-04-2011 at 07:47 PM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I've lived in 4 cities - one until I was 21, and then 3 others in the past 6 years. I didn't just move city, I moved right out of my comfort zone, choosing another continent on the other side of the world.

I will always have ties to some of those places, but where there's a will, there's a way. If you want to leave badly enough, you will. If, however, you decide there are some things where you are that are more important than moving, you'll stay, and if those things are so important than staying really isn't so bad, is it?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am not planning to stay though.

Also, you may not be aware, but I have moved quite a bit around the world as well. I know all about getting out of the comfort zone.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am not planning to stay though.

Also, you may not be aware, but I have moved quite a bit around the world as well. I know all about getting out of the comfort zone.
    Yes, I am aware. What makes you think I was speaking directly to you? Quite a few people here mentioned a desire to move

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Yes, I am aware. What makes you think I was speaking directly to you?
    Only the fact that you posted directly under my post and used the pronoun "you".

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Only the fact that you posted directly under my post and used the pronoun "you".
    But I didn't quote, and the pronoun "you" can be singular or plural It was a general statement.

vCash
    My experience is that if someone wants to continue being purposefully obtuse, they'll make it happen.
    Yes. This sentence pretty much defines your existence on this board.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yes. This sentence pretty much defines your existence on this board.
    While yours can be defined with just simply: sh!t-stirrer.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    It was a general statement.
    It was what is known as ambiguous reference.

from Speedy Death

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456