Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    The only way I can move right now is to cut my ties off every member of my family who live here. I'm working on moving though, but if I wanna keep the family (or at least part of it) then I'll have to take my time on this one.
    Well, I don't know your particular circumstances so can't comment specifically. But sometimes what we fear we'll lose is significantly greater than what we actually do when we do move. It's more the fear of change that keeps us put than anything else often times.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Why not move to Marin or Contra Costa Counties? They have fab school districts, and at least with Contra Costa, are on the BART so are easily accessible to SF for commuting purposes.

I'm not trying to be snarky btw. Just curious
    Family, friends and jobs. While Mini Ice is so young, I feel it's important for him to interact with his family, grandparents and cousins.

East Bay and Marin are not easily accessible. Ever been stuck on the East bound 80, on the way to the Bay Bridge?

We are, however, actively making plans to retire elsewhere.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I have a French friend who initiated divorce proceedings against her Japanese husband and moved from France to Florida with her two girls in the space of three months to take up a new job. But then some people aren't just all talk.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Title-less
    vCash
    Well, I don't know your particular circumstances so can't comment specifically. But sometimes what we fear we'll lose is significantly greater than what we actually do when we do move. It's more the fear of change that keeps us put than anything else often times.
    I have a great chance of moving in about 3.5 years. I'm patient. So no worries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Family, friends and jobs. While Mini Ice is so young, I feel it's important for him to interact with his family, grandparents and cousins.

We are, however, actively making plans to retire elsewhere.
    Well, since you've mentioned schools in the past, I would just point out that the top performing school district in the entire state is located a whole mile from you in Contra Costa County. It has its own BART stop, and takes only about 15 minutes train ride to get to downtown SF.

So if education is really an issue, that's something to consider.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, since you've mentioned schools in the past, I would just point out that the top performing school district in the entire state is located a whole mile from you in Contra Costa County. It has its own BART stop, and takes only about 15 minutes train ride to get to downtown SF.

So if education is really an issue, that's something to consider.

Clearly, you've never commuted to the East Bay. We've considered even better performing schools on the Peninsula as a back up plan if Mini Ice didn't get into a good school in the city. Luckily, he did. Otherwise, we'd lose the easy accessibility to the grandparents and our jobs.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The only way I can move right now is to cut my ties off every member of my family who live here. I'm working on moving though, but if I wanna keep the family (or at least part of it) then I'll have to take my time on this one.
    Do you belong to a cult or the Scientologists?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Do you belong to a cult or the Scientologists?
    No. I don't wanna explain any more as my family could be reading this.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    No. I don't wanna explain any more as my family could be reading this.
    I feel the same way. I don't necessarily want to give out a lot of details here. All I can say is what I've said already: I don't like many aspects of living here but am willing to put up with them for now, for the valuable trade off of having family/friends/jobs. I've made that very clear.

However, we are actively making plans to retire elsewhere.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Clearly, you've never commuted to the East Bay. We've considered even better performing schools on the Peninsula as a back up plan if Mini Ice didn't get into a good school in the city. Luckily, he did. Otherwise, we'd lose the easy accessibility to the grandparents and our jobs.
    But Contra Costa is part of the East Bay .

The commute from Orinda to Berkeley (part of the East Bay) on BART is only 15 minutes. And Orinda is the #1 school district in the entire state of CA.

It's not like you have to move there or anything , but the commute to work from Contra Costa County to other portions of the East Bay would be infinitely easier than traveling to the Peninsula. Plus the Orinda schools are much higher ranked than those in the Peninsula (with far cheaper housing costs).

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    But Contra Costa is part of the East Bay .

The commute from Orinda to Berkeley (part of the East Bay) on BART is only 15 minutes. And Orinda is the #1 school district in the entire state of CA.

It's not like you have to move there or anything , but the commute to work from Contra Costa County to other portions of the East Bay would be infinitely easier than traveling to the Peninsula. Plus the Orinda schools are much higher ranked than those in the Peninsula (with far cheaper housing costs).
    You seem to be confusing Contra Costa and SF Counties. Why are you mentioning the commute from Orinda to Berkeley? What's in Berkeley?

Orinda has cheaper housing costs? http://www.trulia.com/CA/Orinda/

Also, have you looked at the Hilsborough school rankings? http://school-ratings.com/schoolRati...nk&dir=reverse
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-04-2011 at 12:57 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Some include portions of Contra Costa County with the East Bay. Others don't. I tried to specify particular cities (Orinda and Berkeley) just to be clear though.
    The East Bay is a commonly used, informal term for the lands on the eastern side of the San Francisco Bay, in the San Francisco Bay Area, in California, United States. Originally referring only to cities along the immediate northeast shore of the San Francisco Bay and the southeast shore of San Pablo Bay, the region described as the "East Bay" has grown with the expansion of the Bay Area's population and infrastructure to include all of Alameda and Contra Costa counties, and even some farther outlying cities.

vCash
    Orinda has cheaper housing costs? http://www.trulia.com/CA/Orinda/
    Cheaper being a relative term . But compared to places like Palo Alto, Atherton, and whatnot, yeah--it's quite a bit cheaper.
    Also, have you looked at the Hilsborough school rankings?
    The latest rankings I saw have Orinda top. Schools in the Peninsula vary, but tend to be very good. The top I recall in the Peninsula was Monta Loma I think? Not sure I spelled that right. But that's a subsection of Mountain View IIRC. So it really comes down to specific schools.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Cheaper being a relative term . But compared to places like Palo Alto, Atherton, and whatnot, yeah--it's quite a bit cheaper.
    I bet I could find you examples of cheaper housing in Palo Alto and whatnot. Also, you may not know this but there are other places in the Peninsula, a lot cheaper than Orinda. Orinda is one of the most expensive places to live in the Bay Area. It's very very exclusive. You are just not familiar with the Bay Area.
    The latest rankings I saw have Orinda top. Schools in the Peninsula vary, but tend to be very good. The top I recall in the Peninsula was Monta Loma I think? Not sure I spelled that right. But that's a subsection of Mountain View IIRC. So it really comes down to specific schools.
    Yes, look at the link I provided for Hilsborough (very expensive). There is also Burlingame. Contra Costa (East Bay) is a bigger county and schools vary within. Some are good, some are less good.

To be honest, I cannot make heads or tails of your previous post. Why are you talking about the commute from Orinda to Berkeley, again? Yes, it's easy but how is this relevant to me?

Also, traveling to the Peninsula which is bigger than you realize can be easier than the commute to some locations in the East Bay (880 tends to be a nightmare most of the time), which is why we considered the Peninsula and not the East Bay in the first place. Again, you are just not very familiar.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-04-2011 at 01:09 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I bet I could find you examples of cheaper housing in Palo Alto and whatnot.
    On average, housing is cheaper in Orinda believe it or not. Palo Alto average home price is $1,297,000 while in Orinda, the average home price is $857,000. That's a substantial difference IMO.
    Also, you may not know this but there are other places in the Peninsula, a lot cheaper than Orinda.
    Oh sure. But those places aren't typically noted for good school districts either. East Palo Alto is much cheaper, but it's not good for education.
    Orinda is one of the most expensive places to live in the Bay Area. It's very very exclusive.
    It's the most expensive area in Contra Costa County I think. But compared to places like Atherton (avg home $4,295,000), Hillsborough (avg home $2,990,000), or Los Gatos (avg home $1,195,999), it's quite a bit cheaper.
    Also, traveling to the Peninsula which is bigger than you realize can be easier than the commute in the East Bay (880 tends to be a nightmare most of the time)
    That's why I specified public transportation (ie, the BART system). Because it's a rail system, it's unaffected by traffic.

Anyhow, it's all neither here nor there. If you feel you have a great school in close proximity to work and relatives, then I guess you're set. I thought the issue was you didn't have access to a good school, so I was just suggesting places where that would be available in close public transport to SF.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I see average listing price for Orinda as $1,446,029. Where did you get that number?

There are good schools in other places on the Peninsula, i.e., Burlingame. Not sure why you only brought up the most expensive ones.

I am not sure why you mentioned BART. It only goes from the East Bay to SF and SF airport. It's a long commute.

I thought the issue was you didn't have access to a good school, so I was just suggesting places where that would be available in close public transport to SF.
    Can I ask you without seeming to snark--do you honestly believe that you know the school/housing/commute situation in the Bay Area better than someone who lives here? I am curious.

The issue was, why am I not moving from SF--I am not moving because I am temporarily willing to put up with the aspects of living here that I dislike for the privilege of being close to my family/friends and jobs. Mini Ice goes to a good school, we were lucky in that respect. But as I mentioned several times already, we are planning to eventually move elsewhere and are actively working on it.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I see average listing price for Orinda as $1,446,029. Where did you get that number?
    From Zillow. They have the average home prices for every city in the US. For example:
    There are good schools in other places on the Peninsula, i.e., Burlingame.
    Average home price in Burlingame is $999,900. Again, significantly more expensive than Orinda.
    I am not sure why you mentioned BART.
    Because a lot of people use it for transportation, and will choose housing locations based on proximity to BART (since it can cut down significantly on commute time--especially during rush hour).
    It only goes from the East Bay to SF and SF airport. It's a long commute.

BART goes to downtown SF, Oakland, Fremont, all the way up to Richmond, and to Pittsburg in Contra Costa County. It's a very extensive transport system, and as I said, can get you to places faster than driving during rush hour. Going from Orinda to downtown SF takes less than 30 minutes.

http://www.bart.gov/schedules/byline.aspx

Can I ask you without seeming to snark--do you honestly believe that you know the school/housing/commute situation in the Bay Area better than someone who lives here? I am curious.
    I'm just stating published stats--Orinda is cheaper than comparable places in the Peninsula, and BART commute from Contra Costa County to downtown SF is less than 30 minutes. One reason I know all this is because we were looking at moving to that area, and I research things rather meticulously when it comes to education and commuting times .

Again, if you're all set with schools and stuff, then it's all neither here nor there.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    From Zillow. They have the average home prices for every city in the US. For example: Average home price in Burlingame is $999,900. Again, significantly more expensive than Orinda.
    Right, because they said so on the Interwebz. Would you like me to provide other numbers from other websites, ad nauseum?
    Because a lot of people use it for transportation, and will choose housing locations based on proximity to BART (since it can cut down significantly on commute time--especially during rush hour).
    I am not sure why you keep pushing the East Bay. Perhaps it's because you've read some average number somewhere about the Contra Costa county school district. Again, not everything you read on the Interwebz is practical and applicable to specific situations, like mine, for instance. There are much better individual schools in the Bay Area.
    BART goes to downtown SF, Oakland, Fremont, all the way up to Richmond, and to Pittsburg in Contra Costa County.
    And?
    It's a very extensive transport system, and as I said, can get you to places faster than driving during rush hour. Going from Orinda to downtown SF takes less than 30 minutes.
    Again, why Orinda?

I'm just stating facts--Orinda is cheaper than comparable places in the Peninsula, and BART commute from Contra Costa County to downtown SF is less than 30 minutes. One reason I know all this is because we were looking at moving to that area, and I research things rather meticulously when it comes to education and commuting times .
    You've heard this before: reading stuff on random websites and living it are different things, vastly different. Orinda is not cheaper than many places with good schools on the Peninsula, with the average listing price of $1,446,029 in Orinda.

You are not answering my question--do you really believe that you know this better?
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-04-2011 at 01:55 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Right, because they said so on the Interwebz.
    No, because Zillow is the major real estate website that provides home estimates and city median home prices. It's quite well-known. But anyhow, you seemed to miss this comment I made:
    Again, if you're all set with schools and stuff, then it's all neither here nor there.
    Not sure why you are getting fussy or combative. I mentioned Orinda because it has the top ranked schools in all of California, so if quality schooling were an issue for you, then I suggested that as an option cheaper and closer than the Peninsula (with great public transport to boot). If schooling isn't an issue, then it's not an issue.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I have a French friend who initiated divorce proceedings against her Japanese husband and moved from France to Florida with her two girls in the space of three months to take up a new job. But then some people aren't just all talk.
    Great solution. For someone who has no issue breaking up his or her family.

I can't remember where I read this joke recently -- could have been here -- but it goes something like:

Mr. X dies and encounters St. Peter at the gates of Heaven. St. Peter says, "I'm going to let you decide between Heaven and Hell, and I'm even going to let you see both first."

Mr. X goes to Heaven and sees clouds, halos, and angels, and thinks "Boring." Mr. X goes to Hell and sees dancing girls and unlimited fountain drinks. He immediately chooses Hell.

When he gets to Hell, Mr. X finds hellfire, screams, and damnation. He protests that this was bait and switch. St. Peter says, "Then you were a tourist. Now you are an immigrant."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast