Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Go San Francisco!

Down with Happy Meal toys!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Aw, you just want a conservative, orderly city after putting up with SanFran nutsiness all these years. (I was just working out and watching CNN see that toys in Happy Meals are now banned. Don't they have anything better to do?)
    That may very well be true. Also, I miss European architecture. And no, obviously, our city government has nothing at all to do other than to waste time/ on laws that don't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Go San Francisco!

Down with Happy Meal toys!
    Except not. McD figured out a way around this: since they are not allowed to GIVE AWAY toys with Happy Meals, they are now charging 10 cents for it to go with the meal. Proceeds go to the Ronald McDonald charity. Nanny state fail.

Also, how do you, admirers of the city feel about the San Francisco Unified School district policy that required higher test scores from Chinese-American students when they were applying to magnet public schools? True story. This policy was only overturned as a result of a lawsuit.
    Patrick Wong, then fourteen years old, applied for admission to Lowell High School in 1994. He was rejected because his index score was below the minimum required for Chinese American applicants. However, his score was high enough that he would have been admitted to Lowell had he been a member of any other racial or ethnic group recognized in the consent decree. He was rejected at two other high schools because such schools had also accepted the maximum number of schoolchildren of Chinese descent. When he tried to apply to a fourth high school, a newly established academic high school, his mother was told that all spaces for Chinese Americans were “filled” even though spaces for applicants of other racial or ethnic groups were still available.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-03-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm sure you could find a crazy story about Vienna city administration without trying very hard as well.

San Francisco struck me as the most European city in the U.S. I've been to (and yes I lived there ), so maybe you wouldn't like to live in Europe as much as you think.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I'm sure you could find a crazy story about Vienna city administration without trying very hard as well.
    Yes, and?
    San Francisco struck me as the most European city in the U.S. I've been to (and yes I lived there ), so maybe you wouldn't like to live in Europe as much as you think.
    I always find this "SF is so Euro" notion baffling. I've lived in Europe, both Eastern and Western, btw. I never said I would like to live in Europe again. I expressed a liking for a European city, not quite the same thing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yes, and?
    The grass is always greener.

I always find this "SF is so Euro" notion baffling. I've lived in Europe, both Eastern and Western, btw.
    Well you don't live in Europe any more and sound like you hate San Francisco. Perhaps you should try living somewhere else like Texas or Alaska. It might be a better fit.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    San Francisco struck me as the most European city in the U.S. I've been to
    I always thought it had a European quality to it too. But then most Brits I know who visit SF come away with that impression, so maybe I just absorbed that from them.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The grass is always greener.
    You are reading something I am not typing. I said I like Vienna, you are reading something clearly different. Oh well.

Well you don't live in Europe any more and sound like you hate San Francisco. Perhaps you should try living somewhere else like Texas or Alaska. It might be a better fit.
    Perhaps you should try living in Cuba.

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Perhaps you should try living in Cuba.
    I like living where I live. Unlike you. You always complain about how awful it is to live in San Francisco. If you don't like it, move. Simples.

Otherwise, you're just moaning for the sake of it and secretly love living in a vibrant, fun, multi-cultural city with a temperate climate.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I like living where I live. Unlike you. You always complain about how awful it is to live in San Francisco. If you don't like it, move. Simples.
    Simples, eh. I am not going to go into reasons why it may not be "simples". It should be obvious to the most casual observer.
    Otherwise, you're just moaning for the sake of it and secretly love living in a vibrant, fun, multi-cultural city with a temperate climate.
    There are definitely great things about the city, which I have repeatedly stated, including multiculturalism. However, the often ridiculous politics/utterly dysfunctional schools are not a good fit for me, so I've been working on the process you consider so "simples". Also, I prefer SoCal weather to the perpetual fog of San Francisco.

from Speedy Death

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't like where I live, but I'm kinda stuck here because of personal reasons. I don't mind living in San Fran, but moving will not be easy.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I don't like where I live, but I'm kinda stuck here because of personal reasons. I don't mind living in San Fran, but moving will not be easy.
    Yes, moving is not easy, especially when for instance, you have a family, friends and job(s), all of which are so utterly "simples" to leave behind.

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    My experience is that if someone wants to make a change badly enough, they'll make it happen. If they don't they'll make all sorts of excuses about why it's not possible.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My experience is that if someone wants to make a change badly enough, they'll make it happen.
    My experience is that if someone wants to continue being purposefully obtuse, they'll make it happen.

from Speedy Death

Title-less
    vCash
    Yes, moving is not easy, especially when for instance, you have a family, friends and job(s), all of which are so utterly "simples" to leave behind.
    Or if you have disabled relatives that rely on you and need to stay in a certain place.

vCash
    IA--don't you live in Marin County? It's rather distinct from SF IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Or if you have disabled relatives that rely on you and need to stay in a certain place.
    I don't know--my son is a quadriplegic, and we've moved several times. If you really have to move, you do it. People with challenging circumstances do it all the time.

I tend to agree with fred that people who don't move generally like where they live relative to other places.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    My experience is that if someone wants to continue being purposefully obtuse, they'll make it happen.
    Just don't mention how much you hate living in awful San Francisco so much and we'll all be happier not to have to read it and think "why the f*ck doesn't she just move then?"

Simples.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    IA--don't you live in Marin County? It's rather distinct from SF IIRC.
    No, whatever made you think that? I like Marin, better weather, better schools.

Just don't mention how much you hate living in awful San Francisco so much and we'll all be happier not to have to read it and think "why the f*ck doesn't she just move then?"

Simples.
    I hate living in awful San Francisco. But you don't have to read it. Simples.

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    No, whatever made you think that? I like Marin.
    Move there!

vCash
    No, whatever made you think that? I like Marin.
    Why not move to Marin or Contra Costa Counties? They have fab school districts, and at least with Contra Costa, are on the BART so are easily accessible to SF for commuting purposes.

I'm not trying to be snarky btw. Just curious

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    IA--don't you live in Marin County? It's rather distinct from SF IIRC. I don't know--my son is a quadriplegic, and we've moved several times. If you really have to move, you do it. People with challenging circumstances do it all the time.

I tend to agree with fred that people who don't move generally like where they live relative to other places.
    The only way I can move right now is to cut my ties off every member of my family who live here. I'm working on moving though, but if I wanna keep the family (or at least part of it) then I'll have to take my time on this one.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast