Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    I'm not surprised American cities are so low on the list. Who wants to be indoctrinated with americanism. It'd make you sick.
    I lived in New York for three years, and loved every minute of it. Not once did the people of Manhattan make me feel like a foreigner, or try to preach "Americanism" to me. I felt entirely welcome there, and very, very safe living on my own.

For that matter, I work with many Americans and have spent time in many American cities, and I've never experienced anyone trying to "indoctrinate" me.

I have nothing but admiration for the American spirit, and although I am a proud Canadian, if immigration laws allowed it, I'd be living there now.

vCash
    Canadians can't easily immigrate to the US?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Canadians can't easily immigrate to the US?
    No - there is a complicated system of visas, and unless you work in a highly specialized field, it's a difficult process. You can visit all you want, and buy property as far as I know, but working there is another story.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm not surprised American cities are so low on the list. Who wants to be indoctrinated with americanism. It'd make you sick.
    ..and they call us ugly...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    to you too, the Euro isn't exactly off the charts lately.
    But I'm not the one complaining about what bad value I'm getting because of the weakness of my currency.

Cities where middle-class (there's that dangerous concept again) people can live reasonably safely without spending 50% of their income on housing.
    Are you looking to move somewhere?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    No - there is a complicated system of visas, and unless you work in a highly specialized field, it's a difficult process. You can visit all you want, and buy property as far as I know, but working there is another story.
    Wow, what a joke. As if there are hordes of Canadians desperate to cross the border.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Wow, what a joke. As if there are hordes of Canadians desperate to cross the border.
    You'd be surprised. In my circle I can think eight Canadians off the top of my head living here in Michigan. Of course they are all associated with youth hockey (no surprise there ) so maybe that part of our culture is more saturated with Canadians than non-hockey people.

ETA - I also know at least a half dozen adult figure skaters who are not US born but who have been here for years and years, but that could be due to my close proximity to the University of Michigan.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Not sure what's so funny. The system is designed to prioritize Americans for American jobs, which I can see given ongoing challenges with unemployment, as is the case in many countries. Canada actually has policies (as does the US) to incentivize qualified professionals in many professions to stay at home rather than take jobs abroad - known as a country's "brain drain."

I was glad to have the opportunity to work in the US (and pay taxes I might add), but I can see why they wouldn't want to make it easy.

vCash
    Have you ever actually been to the United States? If so, where, when, and for how long?

vCash
    I was reading the other day that Winsor, Ontario had its first homicide in 27 months. 27 MONTHS! Makes me (almost) want to live there...

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I like Windsor. Unfortunately, I haven't spent as much time there as an adult as I did before I turned 21 (um, for obvious reasons), but there used to be some awesome Chinese food there and a great little English-style pub. I'll have to Google and see if that's still there.

Windsor also has some really great riverside parks.

ETA - looks like the pub is gone. It was next to the Old Fish Market.
    Last edited by purple skates; 12-03-2011 at 04:42 AM.

vCash

That's a huge generalization and you're assuming their is one doctrine of "Americanism".

There are politically conservative/redneck parts of America where I wouldn't want to live, but likewise, there are politically conservative/redneck parts of Canada where I wouldn't want to live. . .

snarking for AZE
    vCash

Geneva's gorgeous but ridiculously expensive.
    i'd be willing to live in a hovel to live in geneva, unfortunately i do not believe that they have any hovels

i once asked the hotel maid in geneva where she lived and she said outside of town. maybe there is some low rent outskirt they keep hidden from the foreigners.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

That's a huge generalization and you're assuming their is one doctrine of "Americanism".

There are politically conservative/redneck parts of America where I wouldn't want to live, but likewise, there are politically conservative/redneck parts of Canada where I wouldn't want to live. . .
    I didn't know being a conservative meant you were a redneck. Learn something new every day! I'm a redneck from Los Angeles.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere where there is snow. Period. I would die.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Americanism-espousing redneck from San Francisco here.

I don't want to offend any Austrians here, but I was in Vienna last month. The inner part is crowded and very expensive and the Austrians in general were not the friendliest people I've ever met, to put it mildly. I'd rather live in Washington than Vienna!
    I've been to Vienna and absolutely loved it. I recall people washing their sidewalks with soap there.

My parents were there just a few months ago and came back with rave reviews.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I visited the US for the first time this year and loved it. There was only one person I met who went on and on about the greatness of Denver...but he was a guide so that was his job

Visiting from Europe, I understood for the first time that there was some appeal in the 'American dream'. I never understood it before, but in the US there is space, modernity and convenience, and the people are friendly.

I don't think I'd want to live there, but appalling lack of social system, transport and healthcare aside, I do understand the appeal and I am surprised there aren't more cities on the list.

I tend to think there would be more on the 'liveable' list, though, which uses slightly different criteria...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Are you looking to move somewhere?
    Eventually. I'm sure not going to retire in DC, it's too expensive and the summer weather is unbearable.

Maybe i'll come visit you like Southpaw did and see how Ireland looks.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've been to Vienna and absolutely loved it. I recall people washing their sidewalks with soap there.
    Aw, you just want a conservative, orderly city after putting up with SanFran nutsiness all these years. (I was just working out and watching CNN see that toys in Happy Meals are now banned. Don't they have anything better to do?)

And I'm a proud, patriotic American lefty, joining with the rest of the Americans of whatever political persuasion. From some friends of my ex-husband who live there, I know New Zealand is not enamoured of the US in general. Somehow I don't think our diplomats are losing much sleep over that.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    From some friends of my ex-husband who live there, I know New Zealand is not enamoured of the US in general. Somehow I don't think our diplomats are losing much sleep over that.
    I used to work with a lot of Aussies, and they didn't seem "enamoured" with us either...ah well, you win some, you lose some, eh?

---
    Robert Bryant
    www.trailways.com

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Eventually. I'm sure not going to retire in DC, it's too expensive and the summer weather is unbearable.

Maybe i'll come visit you like Southpaw did and see how Ireland looks.
    You're more than welcome, although summer weather here tends to be unbearable in a different way to DC.

Aw, you just want a conservative, orderly city after putting up with SanFran nutsiness all these years. (I was just working out and watching CNN see that toys in Happy Meals are now banned. Don't they have anything better to do?)
    Another reason to love San Francisco!

And I'm a proud, patriotic American lefty, joining with the rest of the Americans of whatever political persuasion.
    "Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light..."
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast