Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    I'm glad to see Mary Tyler Moore receive the lifetime achievement award. It was a shock to see her go from her warm characters on television to the icy cold mother in "Ordinary People."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Golden Globe Nominations

YAY for Viggo!!!
    I wish the Academy Awards would add a comedy category.

Blergh
    vCash
    ^ I don't. If they do add one for comedy, then why shouldn't they add one for action, suspense, horror, etc.

I think it's good the way it is, and if more comedies aren't recognize when they should be, then the academy should be taken to task for it and movie studios promoting those comedies should work at politicking better (you know it's all a big game just to be nominated and win).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    ^ I don't. If they do add one for comedy, then why shouldn't they add one for action, suspense, horror, etc.

I think it's good the way it is, and if more comedies aren't recognize when they should be, then the academy should be taken to task for it and movie studios promoting those comedies should work at politicking better (you know it's all a big game just to be nominated and win).
    I agree. However, I would like to see them increase the number of nominees (at least in the acting category) from 5 to 7.

I would also like to see a child star category instead of lumping them in the Supporting category even when the child has the lead role in the movie.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The studios choose what category to submit the actors. If they think someone has a better shot in the Supporting category they submit them for it, regardless of whether they were actually a Supporting actor or not. It is all politics and strategy. The Academy can't do anything about who gets nominated where unless they change the rules and take on the task themselves. (which I wish they would)
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash

Yes I wonder if people will vote against a film like "The Artist" because Harvey Weinstein is attatched to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Golden Globe Nominations

YAY for Viggo!!!
    A Big wuzrobbed is Melusine Mayance from Sarah's Key

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Yes I wonder if people will vote against a film like "The Artist" because Harvey Weinstein is attatched to it.
    I doubt it. Weinstein is a pro at this, and if he hasn't suffered a backlash by now, he's never going to face one. We all should have seen the King's Speech beating The Social Network just for the fact Weinstein was attached to the King's Speech. Maybe Weinstein will finally give Madonna an Oscar since he's behind W.E.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I wish the Academy Awards would add a comedy category.
    I wish they'd get the stick out of their butts when it comes to deciding what "acting" is ... it's not always drama and the Academy has been VERY reticent to nominate comedic performances.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I wish they'd get the stick out of their butts when it comes to deciding what "acting" is ... it's not always drama and the Academy has been VERY reticent to nominate comedic performances.
    To be fair though, not many critics groups, guilds, and award shows are. The Academy tends to be pretty consistent with other groups during Award season.

vCash
    Okay--for example Best Actress (Oscar): The names I hear A LOT are Meryl Streep, Michelle Williams, Glenn Close, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton and Rooney Mara. Would you include Kristen Wiig with this group? I would because I've always believed that a good comedic performance is just as difficult--if not more difficult--then a dramatic performance. I loved Wiig in "Bridesmaids." She doesn't carry the credentials of say Jodie Foster or Kate Winslet in "Carnage." I don't think she has a shot in hell.

vCash
    Okay--for example Best Actress (Oscar): The names I hear A LOT are Meryl Streep, Michelle Williams, Glenn Close, Viola Davis, Tilda Swinton and Rooney Mara. Would you include Kristen Wiig with this group? I would because I've always believed that a good comedic performance is just as difficult--if not more difficult--then a dramatic performance. I loved Wiig in "Bridesmaids." She doesn't carry the credentials of say Jodie Foster or Kate Winslet in "Carnage." I don't think she has a shot in hell.
    However, generally speaking, Melissa McCarthy would probably have an easier time getting a Best Supporting Actress nomination...had she received one at the Globes, too.

[And honestly, she deserves one.]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    However, generally speaking, Melissa McCarthy would probably have an easier time getting a Best Supporting Actress nomination...had she received one at the Globes, too.

[And honestly, she deserves one.]
    You never know, though - the Golden Globes have had some weird snubs before, particularly in the supporting categories. Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain wasn't nominated for a Globe, but got an Academy Award nod.

Blergh
    vCash
    Remember that weird Tom Cruise nomination for Tropic Thunder at the Globes?

vCash
    I've wondered if that was the critics/press saying "we forgive you" for the "debates" with Brook and Matt and then the Oprah "performance." Btw I don't know if you take Enertainment Weekly but there was sure a lot of gushing over the latest "Mission Impossible" movie. Maybe Tom is back.

I do remember Goldie Hawn's nomination for "Private Benjamin" but she was a huge star by then. I guess I believe comedy is overlooked and voters will take a dramatic peformance over a comedic one when it comes to a close vote. Hence the desire to see a separate category. I do agree with Vash in wanting to see more nominations allowed into the category as it stands now.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    He was REALLY funny there!

vCash
    How about Robert Downey Jr. being nominated for an Oscar for Tropic Thunder?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    How about Robert Downey Jr. being nominated for an Oscar for Tropic Thunder?
    True. And I love the year that Marisa Tomei won for Best Supporting Actress. I do think actors in supporting roles in comedies do fare better at the Oscars. And maybe I fail to see some movies as comedies. My friend and I argued about "As Good As It Gets" as a drama or comedy. We agreed to disagree about the movie, Helen Hunt etc....

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    True. And I love the year that Marisa Tomei won for Best Supporting Actress.
    Or Kevin Kline for the amazing A Fish Called Wanda!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123