View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young Adult (comedy with Charlize Theron, J. K. Simmons and Patrick Wilson)

14 27.45%
  • Carnage (comedy with Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and Christopher Waltz)

16 31.37%
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (thriller with Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer and Rooney Mara)

31 60.78%
  • Albert Nobbs (drama with Glenn Close, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Brendan Gleeson, and Brenda Fricker)

18 35.29%
  • War Horse (drama with Emily Watson, Jeremy Irvine and David Thewlis)

18 35.29%
  • The Iron Lady (biographical drama with Meryl Streep, Jim Broadbent, Anthony Head, Richard E. Grant)

35 68.63%
  • The Grey (action with Liam Neeson and Dermot Mulroney)

4 7.84%
  • Man on a Ledge (thriller with Sam Worthington, Jamie Bell, Ed Harris and Elizabeth Banks)

2 3.92%
  • One for the Money (comedy crime thriller with Katherine Heigl, Jason O'Mara and Debbie Reynolds)

3 5.88%
  • Chronicle 20th (sci-fi horror with Michael B. Jordan and Michael Kelly)

2 3.92%
  • The Woman in Black (horror with Daniel Radcliffe and Janet McTeer)

12 23.53%
  • Gone (thriller with Amanda Seyfried and Jennifer Carpenter, Wes Bentley and Michael Pare)

5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Catching up on my older issues of Entertainment Weekly and this is the ending for the review of "I Don't Know How She Does It" (Sarah Jessica Parker, Greg Kinnear, Pierce Brosnan):

The second insurmountable problem is the difference between Parker's performance as a fortysomething banker, wife and mother musing (in voice-over) at her computer and her previous performance as a single, thirtysomething girl-about-town in Sex and the City. There is none. I don't know why she does it.
    OUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    I'm going to have to wait until War Horse is available for VOD or DVD. Not keen on sobbing hysterically in a cinema.

I have to leave the room when the TV ad is on. Horse in danger! Hot young men in peril! Hot young man talking to horse!

It's too much.

It's like Hidalgo, Black Beauty, Saving Private Ryan all in one.

Just STOP IT.
    (((viennese)))
    Last edited by PeterG; 12-15-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    None of the movies that really interest me are featured in the poll.

Because IMDB ratings are something that can be relied on.

There are some questionable ratings on IMDB, but in general I get a fair idea of whether or not it's worth investing my time in a movie that I may be interested in seeing. I can eliminate some movies, simply by reading about them or from the trailer. Others may interest me, but I check IMDB sometimes (not always) to see what the movie is about, what kind of ratings it's getting. I may give a very low rating to a movie that got a very high one on IMDB, and vice a versa- that has happened. Still, I find it useful at times.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is now opening on Dec 20th so excited!
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    My best friend and I are Gary Oldman fans and "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" cannot open here quickly enough for us. I know everyone talks about the excellence of the original production but I want to give Oldman and his castmates a chance.

vCash
    I saw Hugo yesterday. I liked it a lot. Definitely a must see movie of the year. I can't believe that Martin Scorcese directed a childrens' movie! I am happy that the movie and MS got the GG nominations.

I went in with very high expectations. I can't say I was disappointed, but I found the 3D a bit distracting- taking me away from the emotions of the movie. Did anyone else have the same experience? IMO 3D is a great visual tool, and it worked very well for Avatar, but for Hugo I would have preferred just a regular flat screen. I may go see it in 2D and see if that theory is true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is now opening on Dec 20th so excited!
    At selected theaters here & there nationwide. Full opening everywhere in the USA on the 21st. Thus far I've only found one place near where I live that has it. I'm sure (I hope......) that will change in the next day or 2.

It will be awhile before I get to see it, but I'll see it as soon as I can. My son gave me a video of the Swedish release w/English subtitles. I'll watch that whenever I can get the TV away from my grandson...

NJL

ETA: As expected, there are now several places that have it on the 20th, including one just a few miles away. One showing that evening, then 4 times a day thereafter. Maybe I'll get a chance to swing by on Friday. We'll see...
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 12-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.

vCash
    Saw My Week With Marilyn yesterday. She had Marilyn down so well, it was eerie.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Angelina Jolie and the Cast of In The Land of Blood and Honey are all on Anderson today. It's a very powerful hour of televsion w/the cast talking about their experiences during those horrible years in Bosnia.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Angelina Jolie and the Cast of In The Land of Blood and Honey are all on Anderson today. It's a very powerful hour of televsion w/the cast talking about their experiences during those horrible years in Bosnia.
    Looks like I missed it...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I don't know where to post this, so it's here.

Did anyone watch Meryl Streep's interview on 60 minutes last night? She is funny. They showed a few clips from Iron Lady, and a few clips of the real life M.Thatcher, also some from Meryl's early days, before she became a superstar.

vCash
    I watched it Vash--I think she conveys both charm and a strong will in her interviews. What kills me is that I read somewhere that she auditioned in front of Dino De (famous producer and I don't want to butcher his name) and he said she was ugly in Italian and she heard/understood it. When I saw those pictures last night I wondered how he possibly could have thought her unattractive. I also love that she doesn't look like she has had "work done." Her skin is beautiful but she doesn't look pulled and puffed.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I watched it Vash--I think she conveys both charm and a strong will in her interviews. What kills me is that I read somewhere that she auditioned in front of Dino De (famous producer and I don't want to butcher his name) and he said she was ugly in Italian and she heard/understood it. When I saw those pictures last night I wondered how he possibly could have thought her unattractive. I also love that she doesn't look like she has had "work done." Her skin is beautiful but she doesn't look pulled and puffed.
    I thought of the deLaurentis story while I watched the interview, as well. It's hilarious. In the mid 1970's when Streep was doing theater and trying to break into movies, Dino de Laurentis was casting his big-budget remake of King Kong. Dino's son brought Streep into his dad's office for him to check out. Dino wanted a gorgeous American blonde for the Fay Wray part (Jessica Lange eventually got the role).

Dino was not impressed. He greeted her but turned to his son and scolded him in Italian. "What is this? She's ugly. She's a bimbo. Why you bring me this?"

They didn't know Streep had studied Italian at Vasser. Streep excused herself and very politely said in very fluent Italian: "Excuse me, Mr. deLaurentis. I'm so sorry I'm not the girl you were looking for. I wish you the best."

She didn't hang around to get Dino's reaction. I think she told the story in detail on David Letterman.

ETA: Here it is. It's a howl the way she tells Letterman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuF7K...eature=related

As far as her beauty, Streep covers the January 2012 issue of Vogue, its oldest cover girl at 62:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/12/12/me...p-vogue-cover/
    Last edited by soxxy; 12-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for posting the links--I did not know where the story came from and she certainly had the last laugh on that one. (Poor Jessica Lange)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post

ETA: Here it is. It's a howl the way she tells Letterman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuF7K...eature=related

As far as her beauty, Streep covers the January 2012 issue of Vogue, its oldest cover girl at 62:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/12/12/me...p-vogue-cover/
    thanks for the video link - too funny. I saw her interview on 60 Minutes, she is just lovely, and such a real person. Anytime I have seen her interviewed, you would not know she was this big famous person, she seems very grounded and lives a regular life. So cool for her to be the oldest cover girl!

vCash
    MI4 has 95% rating thus far on rotten tomatoes. Never been a big fan of either the MI series or Cruise, but I just might have to check out MI4.

Phantom Menace is re-released in 3D in February. Jar-Jar Binks in 3D . I hope people don't spend money to see it. One of the worst and most disappointing film. EVER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    MI4 has 95% rating thus far on rotten tomatoes. Never been a big fan of either the MI series or Cruise, but I just might have to check out MI4.

Phantom Menace is re-released in 3D in February. Jar-Jar Binks in 3D . I hope people don't spend money to see it. One of the worst and most disappointing film. EVER.

I think Episode III in 3D will be awesome, esp. scenes of the last battle/river of fire. I agree that Episode I may not be worth spending money on.

vCash
    I'm going to see MI4 tomorrow! It maybe the only chance I have in a looong time to go and see it.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    thanks for the video link - too funny. I saw her interview on 60 Minutes, she is just lovely, and such a real person. Anytime I have seen her interviewed, you would not know she was this big famous person, she seems very grounded and lives a regular life. So cool for her to be the oldest cover girl!
    ITA, and I think she is beautiful in a unique way. There is luminiscence (sp?) about her.

The 60 minutes piece said two of her daughters are actresses. Anyone knows what kind (theatre/movies/TV/other) and what are their names?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ITA, and I think she is beautiful in a unique way. There is luminiscence (sp?) about her.

The 60 minutes piece said two of her daughters are actresses. Anyone knows what kind (theatre/movies/TV/other) and what are their names?
    So true. I think her kind of beauty comes from inside as well as outside.

One of her daughters is named Mamie Gummer. She played a younger Meryl in Evening Star (movied with Claire Danes and Vanessa Redgrave) - name of movie might be off. Also I saw Mamie in Dangerous Liasons on Broadway with Laura Linney a few years ago, very good. And Mamie has been on the Good Wife a couple of times as an opposing attorney. Very pretty girl, looks a lot like her mom and from what I have seen a good actress, promising future. I have not seen any other of her children.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and it is very good, but a bit confusing for a bit (if you haven't read the novel). Gary Oldman is great in it, as are Colin Firth and Tom Hardy.

I liked Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn" but she couldn't save the movie, which I found to be rather tepid.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast