View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young Adult (comedy with Charlize Theron, J. K. Simmons and Patrick Wilson)

14 27.45%
  • Carnage (comedy with Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and Christopher Waltz)

16 31.37%
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (thriller with Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer and Rooney Mara)

31 60.78%
  • Albert Nobbs (drama with Glenn Close, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Brendan Gleeson, and Brenda Fricker)

18 35.29%
  • War Horse (drama with Emily Watson, Jeremy Irvine and David Thewlis)

18 35.29%
  • The Iron Lady (biographical drama with Meryl Streep, Jim Broadbent, Anthony Head, Richard E. Grant)

35 68.63%
  • The Grey (action with Liam Neeson and Dermot Mulroney)

4 7.84%
  • Man on a Ledge (thriller with Sam Worthington, Jamie Bell, Ed Harris and Elizabeth Banks)

2 3.92%
  • One for the Money (comedy crime thriller with Katherine Heigl, Jason O'Mara and Debbie Reynolds)

3 5.88%
  • Chronicle 20th (sci-fi horror with Michael B. Jordan and Michael Kelly)

2 3.92%
  • The Woman in Black (horror with Daniel Radcliffe and Janet McTeer)

12 23.53%
  • Gone (thriller with Amanda Seyfried and Jennifer Carpenter, Wes Bentley and Michael Pare)

5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    OMG The Iron Lady looks horrifically bad. Meryl Streep is basically the same thing she is always except for when goes crazy and stars in something like Mamma Mia. The start of the trailer is bad. made me think of The Devil Wears Prada.

I know its bad to pre-judge a film. I know its bad but Imade my mind when I heard about it a year or so back. But I am not a fan of Meryl Streep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    OMG The Iron Lady looks horrifically bad. Meryl Streep is basically the same thing she is always except for when goes crazy and stars in something like Mamma Mia. The start of the trailer is bad. made me think of The Devil Wears Prada.

I know its bad to pre-judge a film. I know its bad but Imade my mind when I heard about it a year or so back. But I am not a fan of Meryl Streep.
    You sound awfully biased. You don't like Streep, so you make up your mind that her movie is bad, without even seeing it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    You sound awfully biased. You don't like Streep, so you make up your mind that her movie is bad, without even seeing it?
    Um yeah. And re-reading my earlier post makes me look like I was typing when drunk.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    But I am not a fan of Meryl Streep.
    Where the hell is the ignore feature!?

ETA: This was a joke, by the way. I should have used the smiley.
    Last edited by BigB08822; 12-01-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    What in the world is The Artist, anyway? I found a trailer on youtube. Is it a silent film? Looks very odd. Not sure if I get it, at least not from the trailer.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Yes, it's a silent (and black-and-white) film. An homage to the silent era, from what I've seen.

I said elsewhere that it looks a bit like the offspring of Singin' in the Rain and A Star Is Born.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Salon.comReviewed by: Andrew O'HehirNov 23, 2011100 Instead of sticking with the familiar, Scorsese has followed his impulses into something that feels entirely new but is still distinctively his. He has made a potential holiday classic, an exciting, comic and sentimental melodrama that will satisfy children and adults alike and reward repeat viewings for many years to come.

The Globe and Mail (Toronto)Reviewed by: Liam LaceyNov 23, 2011100 As well as an engaging fable about a homeless orphan living in a train station, Scorsese's film is a richly illustrated lesson in cinema history and the best argument for 3-D since James Cameron's "Avatar."

TimeReviewed by: Richard CorlissNov 23, 2011100 Bursting with earned emotion, Hugo is a mechanism that comes to life at the turn of a key in the shape of a heart.

Boston GlobeReviewed by: Ty BurrNov 22, 2011100 An exhilarating tale of magic, machines, memories, and dreams, Martin Scorsese pulls off the neatest trick of all. He marshals the marvels of modern movie technology - up to and including the dreaded 3-D - to create a love letter to the earliest of movies and, by extension, to every movie from then to now.

Chicago Sun-TimesReviewed by: Roger EbertNov 22, 2011100 The way Hugo deals with Melies is enchanting in itself, but the film's first half is devoted to the escapades of its young hero. In the way the film uses CGI and other techniques to create the train station and the city, the movie is breathtaking.

Has anyone seen "Hugo?" After hearing the fourth or fifth ecstatic review on the radio, I started reading others and this list of critics who have embraced this film is a long one. I tend to stay away from 3-D because it is just one more gimick to me but maybe this film will change my mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    What in the world is The Artist, anyway? I found a trailer on youtube. Is it a silent film? Looks very odd. Not sure if I get it, at least not from the trailer.
    From what I read the film and actor are locks for "best" nominations not just for Oscar but for all of the awards that start this time of year. I do like that the director believes in us--the audience-- as we take a chance and experience a silent film. For me the bottom line is the story and how it is acted. I want to watch and see if I am touched by silent acting as much as what we usually see now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The Artist is ... a movie ... and an absolute joy to watch .
    The first time I saw it (I've seen it twice), I left the theater with a huge grin of my face and I don't remember my feet touching the ground for at least half an hour.

Don't expect anything artsy, intellectual or complicated. It is actually very easy to follow, fun, witty, gorgeous, old fashioned and modern at the same time and absolutly charming.
    It takes 2-3 minutes to get into the silent side, until you realize the director is in playful mood and that he has already begun to steal your heart (along with the actors, the dog and the composer).

If that might help you to make an opinion, here are 3 little clips of the movie (better in full screen mode). They are all from great scenes so *beware ! spoilers ! For those who already want to see the movie, I'd recommand not to watch these*.

There are going be people who will go and see The Artist and won't like it. But that is going to be a hard task.
    I'm planning to see it a third time.
    Next year.
    At a special screening.
    With a full live orchestra.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I wanted to highlight five of the movies being released in December which impressed me the most with their trailers. Decided to check for alternate trailers to get a differing view on each film. Here's the five, with a different trailer for each one:

December 2 The Lady (biographical drama with Michelle Yeoh and David Thewlis)

I've been a fan of Michelle Yeoh since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (and then Memoirs Of A Geisha, etc.), so to see her in a movie which looks to be a contender for giving her a Best Actress Oscar nomination is great!

December 9 RED-BAND (R-RATED) TRAILER: The Sitter (comedy with Jonah Hill, Sam Rockwell, Ari Graynor and Kevin Hernandez)

Normally I am not into this kind of movie, but I loved the main trailer (which made me laugh out loud twice, which I rarely do) and in this trailer (which is basically the same, but with a raunchy new beginning instead) there is an added Q & A intro between Jonah and his kid co-stars which is as funny as it is foul. A must-see, IMHO!

December 21 Pina (a tribute to choreographer Pina Bausch, directed by Wim Wenders)

Like I mentioned earlier, I almost didn't include "Pina" in my list of the December releases because I thought it'd be a boring-as-death dance movie. I was wrong! In this new trailer, it's mentioned that it's Germany's entry for Best Foreign Language Film for Oscar consideration. (Not that it looks like there will be much dialogue in this movie.) This second trailer is similar to the first, but has some new (equally wondrous) footage.

December 25 The Darkest Hour (sci-fi horror with Emile Hirsch, Max Minghella and Olivia Thirlby)

This clip is the only alternative preview I could find, it's just 30 seconds of action shots (so watch the original trailer to get a better overview). This movie looks really good! I think it's the December movie I'm most excited about.

December 30 Angels Crest (drama with Thomas Dekker, Mira Sorvino, Kate Walsh, Elizabeth McGovern and Jeremy Piven)

This movie looks to be Oscar-calibre, but I'm guessing it's an independent release, so might go over-looked. In this trailer, the stars of the film talk about the movie. Added bonus: some gorgeous cinematography.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Midnight Lace is available for viewing on YouTube . Doris Day's dramatic acting is like Plushy's choreo - spastic and overwrought.

vCash
    Cannot believe that there are no wide releases this week so no movie for me this week. Reading a good book will just have to do. LOL

vCash

Cool

Voted for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, of course. Read my posts in the book thread to see why...

The trailers on the internet, there are a few, are fantastic. I can only hope the movie equals, or exceeds, them. BTW, word is that the ending in the newest version is different from the Swedish versions. I've also read the Rooney Mara has a near impossible task to even equal Noomi Rapace's performance. Evidently she defined Lisbeth perfectly. Where can I find a freebee of the Swedish version online, or cable TV, to compare?

NJL (..if you are an NFL fan ya gotta root for Rooney Mara - Patricia Rooney Mara - since one grandfather (or was it great grandfather?) founded the Pittsburgh Steelers and the other the New York Football Giants...)

vCash
    I finally saw 50/50 today. Liked it. I am behind on my movies this year because I recently took an overseas vacation. Next on my list: Hugo, J.Edgar, Drive. Unfortunately other good movies, including The artist are not here yet. I am not interested in seeing the Descendants unless someone here can convince me to see it.

vCash
    Let me know what you think of Hugo. I've read good reviews about it, but haven't heard from anyone whose actually seen it yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Let me know what you think of Hugo. I've read good reviews about it, but haven't heard from anyone whose actually seen it yet.

It got 8.6 on IMDB, so I am really interested in that movie. It seems to have an impressive cast too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Midnight Lace is available for viewing on YouTube . Doris Day's dramatic acting is like Plushy's choreo - spastic and overwrought.
    That movie scared the daylights out of me once. Don't laugh.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Oh, yes. A Ross Hunter movie is always good for spastic and overwrought. And gorgeous clothes, I might add.

vCash
    I had very high expectations for "Hugo" and saw it today and I was not disappointed. I thought it was beautiful from beginning to end. I know that "Hugo" was based on a children's book and "Midnight in Paris" is from an American's viewpoint but between those films and "The Artist" I think the Oscars could have a lot of French flavor this year.

vCash
    What was the name of the Star Trek movie in which Captain Kirk, Mr.Spock and Dr.McCoy are vacationing in the Yosemite National park and singing 'Row row row your boat gently down the stream'?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast