View Poll Results: Which men have best chances at silver and bronze at Worlds this year

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abbott

58 42.96%
  • Takahashi

110 81.48%
  • Hanyu

31 22.96%
  • Oda

2 1.48%
  • Kozuka

37 27.41%
  • Gachinski

7 5.19%
  • Brezina

29 21.48%
  • Fernandez

64 47.41%
  • Joubert

4 2.96%
  • Verner

1 0.74%
  • Song

8 5.93%
  • Rippon

3 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Which men have best chances at Silver and Bronze at Worlds this year

This isnt an outright prediction thread since it is still early but with almost all the grand prix events done who do you get a feeling are the skater(s) who have the best chance at the silver and bronze at Worlds behind Patrick Chan this year.

vCash
    I picked Abbott, Takahashi, Brezina, and Fernandez.

vCash
    You're assuming that Patrick Chan will take the Gold. With Daisuke's scores at the NHK, I'm not so sure anymore.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    You're assuming that Patrick Chan will take the Gold.
    Yeah I think that is a pretty safe assumption (and if somehow this turns into a jinxing thread I wont mind in the least, in fact it would be an unexpected thrill).

Banned Member
    vCash
    takahashi has zero chance against Chan if he doesn`t land a quad and those nhk scores i`m sure chan will obliterate that later in the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yeah I think that is a pretty safe assumption (and if somehow this turns into a jinxing thread I wont mind in the least, in fact it would be an unexpected thrill).
    That really says lots about you. That you would get a thrill for someone being beaten as opposed to your favourite winning.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I didn't do BEST I did A. Oops. You know Abbott can get great PCS on his free skate. Imagine if he lands a quad and a second 3A! Lots of these people could Gachinski there way to a bronze- Like Nan Song.

YEAH!
    vCash

I chose Kozuka and Takahashi, but men is so hard to predict. I would've never selected Gachinsky at this time last year, even if I had known Worlds would be in Moscow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver98 View Post
    takahashi has zero chance against Chan if he doesn`t land a quad and those nhk scores i`m sure chan will obliterate that later in the season.
    We will just have to wait and see. I can't predict who will win gold at worlds since I don't have a crystal ball but what I do know is that it is very difficult to defend a world championship than to win one, just ask Takahashi.

vCash
    I could actually see Takahashi winning the GP final over Chan since I sense Chan is still working his way into form, but not Worlds. I just dont think he is technically strong enough anymore nor does he have the undying love from the judges that Chan has. By Worlds Chan probably wont make more than 3 major mistakes which is more than enough for him to win unless Takahashi improves his spins, quads, and jump layouts, or Chan's scores match closer to reality (as if) at some point.

I would love to see Abbott win silver or bronze at Worlds last year. It is funny how many on this forum labelled me an Abbott hater last season just since I predicted it might be a bad season for him. However it ended up being one. I just had that sense early on that the judges werent in his corner, that even when he skated fairly well he was having trouble reaching peak performance levels. This season I get the opposite sense. The judges are warming up to him again and he is able to hit his elements more strongly and perform with more conviction apart from the mistakes than he was last season.

There are some others on this list I could see possibly medalling. I cant imagine any of Oda, Hanyu, Joubert, Verner (and not surprisingly Rippon or Song) medalling at Worlds this year though. I really think Oda is done as a top contender and could well find himself as the odd man out of the Japanese World team this year, and possibly in future years. It would be sad if someone of his talent never won a World medal but he has used up (and often wasted) pretty much all his opportunities already. With Takahashi coming back strong, Kozuka their top performer from last season, and Hanyu coming up, there really isnt any room for him anymore. Maybe he can hold off Hanyu for this season, but that is it.

vCash
    Interesting that you think Takahashi can beat Chan at home. It'd be pretty cool, and give Takahashi a title he doesn't have, so I'm all for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Interesting that you think Takahashi can beat Chan at home. It'd be pretty cool, and give Takahashi a title he doesn't have, so I'm all for it.
    I dont think the home factor means much. Some thought that last year when Chan won Skate Canada with 4 falls, but as it turns out there wasnt any home factor, that is how Chan is scored everywhere starting last summer. So yes if Chan has another competition loaded with mistakes and Takahashi has a competition like NHK I could see Takahashi winning the GP final for the first time. I couldnt see him beating Chan at Worlds though since there even if Chan makes alot of mistakes, he wouldnt be denied retaining his World title by the judges IMHO.

vCash
    I couldnt see him beating Chan at Worlds though since there even if Chan makes alot of mistakes, he wouldnt be denied retaining his World title by the judges IMHO.
    You are a joke.

vCash
    I picked Abbott, Takahashi, Kozuka and Fernandez.

Fernandez had a good GP, so he is on my list.

Takahashi & Kozuka have already won world medals (Gold, for Takahashi), so they are contenders for at least a silver. Hopefully this is the year Abbott will find his grove and stand on the podium. If he skates his best, he could even have a chance to beat Chan if he makes many mistakes.

IMO Song is a one trick pony right now, and Joubert and Oda have had their times. I don't see them getting better. Gachinski is still at least a year away from winning the silver (he did win the bronze last year, but it was mainly due to others not doing their jobs). I say the same about Brezina (at least a year away). Right now Hanyu is the potential, not someone that's ready.

Rippon is still a year away, may be even 2 years away.

I don't see Verner on the podium, unless most others self destruct (like Gachinski winning the bronze by default last year).

vCash
    Agree that Takahashi can't confront Chan without the quad. Chan has skated basically clean SP in past four worlds and that would be enough for allowing a few mistakes in the FS. I'm kind of expecting Chan could become Kurt Browning II. Three world golds in a row and off the podium at Sochi.

vCash
    Or, the judges will obliterate no matter what Chan happens to do on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    That really says lots about you. That you would get a thrill for someone being beaten as opposed to your favourite winning.
    This is one of the more curious polls judgejudy has thought up, but I must say that I don't actually blame judgejudy re her anticipated "thrill."

Any thinking Chan fan has got to admit, the judges do the sport and Chan no favors by consistently rewarding him when he makes glaring mistakes. No skater should get away with that number of faux pas and still garner ridiculously high scores so routinely -- I don't care how superior said skater's SS are. It is obviously unfair that the Chan treatment is not meted out equally. No one else gets away with such unclean performances on such a consistent basis.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I'm not convinced that Chan can never lose. Even Michelle Kwan, Midori Ito, and Yu-Na Kim all lost gold medals from time to time after becoming World Champions to people such as Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Irina Slutskaya, Maria Butyrskaya, Shizuka Arakawa, Kristi Yamaguchi, Jill Trenary, Mao Asada, and Miki Ando, for example. No one is completely invincible. I don't believe Chan should be held to such esteem as he is by the judges on the PCS mark; yes, on his skating skills, but his other components such as TR, P/E, CH, and IN should not be clearly better than others, such as Takahashi and Abbott, for example.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 11-26-2011 at 08:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I'm not convinced that Chan can never lose. ...
    We can only hope, museksk8r. Truly not a good thing that it comes to this kind of "hoping" and anticipated "thrill" or wishing to see someone lose b/c of consistent over-scoring. The judges seem not to care -- they seem intent on riding Chan at least all the way to 2013 Worlds (and maybe beyond), unless he breaks completely down before then.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Let's still dream the "impossible": Candyman Chan won't be judges darling for once and will be defended by phenomenal Dai!
    (I won't participate in this poll, sorry!)

vCash
    ^^ Agree Zokko! I didn't bother participating in the poll either ...

To dream the impossible dream
    To fight the unbeatable foe ...

To right the unrightable wrong ...
    To reach the unreachable star ...
    No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...

And I know if Dai and Jeremy will only be true to this glorious quest ...
    The skating world will be better for this!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast