Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey2 View Post
    I have a really fuzzy memory of someone coaching a female African American skater after hours because she was not white. This young skater went on to coach other non-white skaters and was honored not too long ago. I'll try to locate more information, but maybe this will jog some other (better) minds.
    Mabel Fairbanks didn't only coach "non-white" skaters, she coached skaters from many ethnic backgrounds.

Listen to manleywoman's skatecast interview with Randy Gardner -- he shares some wonderful anecdotes about Mabel Fairbanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Mabel Fairbanks didn't only coach "non-white" skaters, she coached skaters from many ethnic backgrounds.

Listen to manleywoman's skatecast interview with Randy Gardner -- he shares some wonderful anecdotes about Mabel Fairbanks.
    If she was a coach,then she must have competed,right? Or can you be a coach without being a competitor yourself?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    If she was a coach,then she must have competed,right? Or can you be a coach without being a competitor yourself?
    If someone is willing to pay you to teach them, you can be a coach, regardless of your history. Of course, coaches who have competed or who have performed in shows are usually better coaches, but you don't have to have been a competitive skater to become a coach.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Remember, she didn't compete because she wasn't allowed to compete, not because she wasn't good enough.

Anyway, a coach doesn't necessarily need to be able to do stuff; they need to be able to effectively get somebody else to do it. If you've done it yourself, it's easier to understand what needs to be done, but the best coaches don't necessarily have to be the best skaters. They need to be good at analyzing what a skater needs to do to improve, and they need excellent communication skills. Most coaches have been competitors themselves, but I've had some very good coaching from people who were trained as dancers, not skaters. They could see what I needed to change, and were able to show me what I needed to do to make my skating better.

vCash
    Does anybody else have anything to say about the actual movie? I haven't seen it yet, and would like to read some more reviews.

Please....
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    You can check out the original RISE reviews thread when it was released in movie theaters back in February this year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77651

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia!

This thread title should probably be changed to: Questions and Answers About Mabel Fairbanks -- famous but little known former skater/ coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    You can check out the original RISE reviews thread when it was released in movie theaters back in February this year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77651
    Thanks, I'll check it out, since this thread has been most definately hijacked...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Perhaps we should direct FSWer to the long thread on the initial showing of RISE, in which 100s of reviews were written? This wouold have been back in March 2011.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12