Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post your Rise Movie Review.

Say,if you saw the Movie "Rise"...please take time to post your review of it here. Here's mine....as I just bought it on DVD. To start....for those who don't have the DVD. it comes with 30min of Footage never seen. I must also say that there were things mentioned in the Movie that I remember from reading the Book "Frozen in Time". For instance, they mentioned about how Maribelle Owen took on a little Girl, and bought her in the back of the Rink and gave her free Skating lessons after hrs. I don't recall if it ever said in the Book who the Girl was. As I didn't hear it mentioned in the Movie too. But before I go on...if anyone knows of any Record to who the Girl was,and were she is today (if of course she wasn't one of the skaters who died), I would really appreciate it.
    Anyway....going on with my review.... They also showed clips from the 1961 Nationals (oh....and btw. I will soon be the proud owner of it on DVD.!!! They also even showed some actual color Video Footage from the actual Day that Marabelle was teaching her Daughters!!!! Were they got THAT....I'd love to know!!!! LOL. So my friends...........that's MY Review....let's hear all of yours!!!!

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    I have a really fuzzy memory of someone coaching a female African American skater after hours because she was not white. This young skater went on to coach other non-white skaters and was honored not too long ago. I'll try to locate more information, but maybe this will jog some other (better) minds.

vCash
    Going from fuzzy memory, I believe the girl marble coached in her spare time was Mabel fairbanks, who wasn't allowed in the then whites only skating clubs, and the color footage of marble skating with her daughters as her mother looked on was from the 1960 olys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Going from fuzzy memory, I believe the girl marble coached in her spare time was Mabel fairbanks, who wasn't allowed in the then whites only skating clubs, and the color footage of marble skating with her daughters as her mother looked on was from the 1960 olys.
    Was she any relation to Marble Owen? Does she still skate? Or is she gone?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    No relation to Maribel Vinson Owen. Mabel Fairbanks died in 2001 at the age of 85 -- here's a good obituary article about her accomplishments in skating: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/oct/04/local/me-53367
    Excerpts:
    Fairbanks, who was born Nov. 14, 1915 in the Florida Everglades of African American and Seminole ancestry, according to her birth records, never was accepted into competitive skating and was denied a shot at the Olympics because of the color of her skin. But she still had the moxie to make her own moves on ice.

That caught the attention of others, including figure skater and coach Maribel Vinson (nine times U.S. Ladies Champion) who recognized Fairbanks' talent and offered advice on technique. Howard Nicholson, another well-known coach of the era, joined Vinson in contributing to Fairbanks' development. Fairbanks also benefited from watching and listening while the white children received formal instruction. She copied and practiced their moves.
    "Her death is a tremendous loss to the African American community, the skating community, and to people who didn't know her as well because she was a gracious woman, classy, effervescent and full of integrity," [Atoy] Wilson said.

"I and everyone else who was ever coached by her knew that she was coaching her students not only to become great skaters but, more than anything, to become great human beings.

"Her students have gone on to become lawyers, doctors, teachers, writers. She coached them to stand on all those podiums even though she never got to stand on one herself. That's what made her a human champion."

vCash
    Are there any old pics of her skating? How far in level if any did she get??

vCash
    Blacks were not allowed to compete until after wwII, so Fairbanks turned pro but even then many shows wouldn't hire her so she started her own tour. Later she coached and her big claim to fame is as the early coach of young tai & Randy whom she paired up before they went onto nicks and fame.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Are there any old pics of her skating? How far in level if any did she get??
    http://figureskating.about.com/od/yo...-Fairbanks.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieille...-37511919@N06/

Do a Google search for images of "Mabel Fairbanks" - there's lots out there.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Blacks were not allowed to compete until after wwII, so Fairbanks turned pro but even then many shows wouldn't hire her so she started her own tour. Later she coached and her big claim to fame is as the early coach of young tai & Randy whom she paired up before they went onto nicks and fame.
    Is there any known reason to why? Or was it just more segugation (sorry if I spelled that wrong)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No relation to Maribel Vinson Owen. Mabel Fairbanks died in 2001 at the age of 85 -- here's a good obituary article about her accomplishments in skating: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/oct/04/local/me-53367
    Excerpts:
    When was she born,and how old was she when she went to train at the Rink at night with Mareble?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    http://figureskating.about.com/od/yo...-Fairbanks.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieille...-37511919@N06/

Do a Google search for images of "Mabel Fairbanks" - there's lots out there.
    Thank you for the links! Mabel had one of the most BEAUTIFUL split leaps I have ever seen!

I love how she autographed her photos "Skatingly Yours, Mabel Fairbanks".

I can only imagine how many great talents were lost due to discrimination in that era.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

Watch me move
    vCash
    When was she born,and how old was she when she went to train at the Rink at night with Mareble?
    From the article Sylvia linked to:
    Fairbanks, who was born Nov. 14, 1915
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    So when she went to the Rink with Marbell. She must have been in her 40's-50's,right? Gee,"Frozen in Time" makes it sound like she was a little girl of 8,etc.

Watch me move
    vCash
    So when she went to the Rink with Marbell. She must have been in her 40's-50's,right? Gee,"Frozen in Time" makes it sound like she was a little girl of 8,etc.
    I haven't seen Frozen in Time, but the obituary Sylvia linked to talked about Mabel starting to skate when she was a young girl, and also says:
    Later, after coming to Los Angeles in the 1940s, she gained fame and respect as a coach focused on young competitive skaters of all races and backgrounds.
    And the "later" is referring to after she had skated in shows. So if she was coaching in the 1940s she must have been trained by Maribel Owen much earlier than that.
    Last edited by overedge; 11-28-2011 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    Can anyone confurm when she was trained and how old she was then?

vCash
    how come we still dont see a lot of african-american skaters on ice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    My guess is it comes down to money more than anything else. It costs - at lot to do some sports (figure skating and hockey being two of the ones that quickly come to my mind) compared to say ... soccer or basketball.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    Before we get back to the main topic of this thread....your reviews. Can anyone confurm if I'm right at saying that Marbel Fairbanks was indeed the actual first Black Ladies Competitor to show that Skating should be for BOTH Blacks AND Whites..and does indeed hold the title in History as Black Competitive Ladies Freestyle Skater...#1?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Before we get back to the main topic of this thread....your reviews. Can anyone confurm if I'm right at saying that Marbel Fairbanks was indeed the actual first Black Ladies Competitor to show that Skating should be for BOTH Blacks AND Whites..and does indeed hold the title in History as Black Competitive Ladies Freestyle Skater...#1?
    The article Sylvia linked to says that she was never able to compete. This video explains that to compete in her era, you had to be a member of a USFSA club, and clubs generally didn't allow African-Americans to join.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kW4bSdx2o

So she was probably one of the first African-American skaters in shows, galas, exhibitions, etc., but she wasn't a competitive skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Thank you for the links! Mabel had one of the most BEAUTIFUL split leaps I have ever seen!

I love how she autographed her photos "Skatingly Yours, Mabel Fairbanks".

I can only imagine how many great talents were lost due to discrimination in that era.
    Who is she with then in the Flicr pic. that Sashaspins posted? It looks like at 1 time she was an Ice-Dancer with a Parner. Any more Rise Reviews?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast