Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I just took a pay cut of about $7000 to be 45 minutes closer to home. I hated (with a H) my old job. Less stress = happier me. Which makes everything better.

If this is a more prestigious university, wouldn't that be better on the resume in the long run? Have they been giving raises yearly? Can they use a review at some point in the next year to give you a bump in pay if you are doing a great job?

Money isn't everything. Destress your life. It isn't worth it in the long run.
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I'm sure you love your horses but do you really need all three of them? I don't mean to be callous but aren't horses very expensive to maintain? At the end of the day what is more important to you?
    No, I don't need 3. It's a long story why I even have three. But, only 1 I have could be sold. And he's my heart and that's not happening. The other has too many issues and while in the right hands he'd be fabulous, someone pushes him to hard, it'll be a disaster. I do have a friend that helps out with his care costs. The third, if it comes to that, would just be put down. She's got too many health issues. That's just not a decision I'm making right now. I do all my own care so the costs are lower than they might otherwise be. I'm just waiting until I can get my own place and then costs will drop (for the horses) dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    Money isn't everything. That's all I have to say.
    That is exactly why this is so hard.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I agree that money isn't everything, but on the other hand I cannot help but be suspicious of a job offer with no room for salary negotiations (which in academic jobs is highly unusual IMHO) accompanied by the information that there are several other qualified candidates in the wings. This sounds like a pressure situation that isn't really working in your best interests.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I cannot help but be suspicious of a job offer with no room for salary negotiations (which in academic jobs is highly unusual IMHO) accompanied by the information that there are several other qualified candidates in the wings. This sounds like a pressure situation that isn't really working in your best interests.
    I don't think either is exactly unusual, but certainly not optimal.

There could be a couple reasons for the deadline--one, they suspect Sarah will receive multiple offer with which they cannot compete. So some search committees will require a fairly immediate acceptance of an offer so the candidate cannot be tempted with other offers. A second reason is the committee has ranked who they want to work there, and they are simply working down the list. They want timely responses to their offer because they don't want to lose the other candidates on their short list.

So that's not really unusual IMO. Committees don't like ending up with failed hires, and this is one way to prevent that.

The lack of salary negotiation could simply be a reflection of slashed budgets. Back in the day almost everything was negotiable. That's not the case so much today. Salaries are more modest, and there is less negotiating room for candidates. Obviously there are exceptions to that, but there you go.

vCash
    I'm a fairly analytical type. In addition to a positive/negative list, you can do a calculation to see how much of the pay difference is really in play. Right now, figure out how many total hours, including commute and after hours time, for the current job. Do the same for the new job. Then figure out the hourly wage for each. You may be surprised!
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I agree that money isn't everything, but on the other hand I cannot help but be suspicious of a job offer with no room for salary negotiations (which in academic jobs is highly unusual IMHO)
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    The lack of salary negotiation could simply be a reflection of slashed budgets. Back in the day almost everything was negotiable. That's not the case so much today. Salaries are more modest, and there is less negotiating room for candidates. Obviously there are exceptions to that, but there you go.
    I would think at this point in time, it's normal for budgets in academia to be so tight that there is a hard-and-fast limit to salary offers. My previous job was in academia - contract position - and when given my offer I was told that was as high as they could go. Initially, they gave me a range and I told them that was too low considering what I'd earned previously. The offer I got was a little higher than that, but still less that what I wanted. They did offer to increase my salary a small amount that July 1 (this was in the fall) when the next fiscal year started.

I don't know what career level the OP is, but jobs lower down on the hierarchy scale tend to have more defined salary ranges, too. When I was at and not much above entry-level, my job offers were usually presented as 'this is the salary for this position' or 'I'm authorized to offer X'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    Money isn't everything. That's all I have to say.
    Money isn't everything when everything doesn't depend on having enough money to survive. Those of us say that it isn't everything usually have more than enough to live on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I'm a fairly analytical type. In addition to a positive/negative list, you can do a calculation to see how much of the pay difference is really in play. Right now, figure out how many total hours, including commute and after hours time, for the current job. Do the same for the new job. Then figure out the hourly wage for each. You may be surprised!
    I was thinking along the same lines: The extra personal time you would have as a result of the shorter commute should be worth something, in addition to the lower direct cost of commuting. How much the time is worth would depend partly on what you do with it. More relaxation time would generally mean less stres, but would the shorter commute also allow you to prepare more of your own meals rather than depending on costly prepared food or meals eaten out?

vCash
    Thanks everyone. I'll probably reply more later. The no negotiation has to do with their salary equity and promotion scale. They're bringing me in at the high end of the lowest librarian rank and paying slightly more because it's a science librarian. I understand there are yearly raises too.

As for the short turn around time, part has to do with my reaction to salary and the understanding I might reject the offer. The other is timing-- we all close for the holiday week from Thursday to Jan 3. If I turn them down, they can at least offer to the next person before break.

Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines: The extra personal time you would have as a result of the shorter commute should be worth something, in addition to the lower direct cost of commuting. How much the time is worth would depend partly on what you do with it. More relaxation time would generally mean less stres, but would the shorter commute also allow you to prepare more of your own meals rather than depending on costly prepared food or meals eaten out?
    This is huge. Currently I work 12-8 so I bring 2 meals to work and always microwave-- better than eating out, but I don't eat as well as I might cooking at mealtime.

vCash
    And there is faculty tuition waivers. 2 classes/semester. I looked at benefits in detail to see how they compared to current job. I was happy to see the tuition waiver. While I have it now (though I could only take advantage of it this past fall), there's nothing I want to study at my school--that makes it harder to pursue another degree.
    A shorter commute would give you more time to pursue the extra degree as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

vCash
    Sarah -- Good luck with your decision, whatever it turns out to be.

Have they spoken to you about potential advancement opportunities? Is there a better career path one way or the other? Working in a place that doesn't appreciate you is hard on the soul even if it is beneficial to the wallet, but trying to get by with barely enough money is hard on the soul too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Sarah -- Good luck with your decision, whatever it turns out to be.

Have they spoken to you about potential advancement opportunities? Is there a better career path one way or the other? Working in a place that doesn't appreciate you is hard on the soul even if it is beneficial to the wallet, but trying to get by with barely enough money is hard on the soul too.
    Yes, there is potential for advancement. If I take the position (which I think I might), I have several promotion opportunities whereas in my current position, I have 1 possible promotion (well, 2 if I get my PhD which is NOT happening). There are also lateral transfers I can pursue if interested. We'll see.

I got a phone call from my aunt this morning trying to talk me into taking the position. She went on about how it's a far better school and better opportunity. Even if I don't stay there forever, I'll have a far easier time finding a job with that school on my resume than my current university (my aunt is a retired college counselor so she knows colleges). Told me that when I factor in gas and time and taxes, I'm really only looking at $2500 and for that it's not worth staying where I am. She also offered that if I ever need financial help, let her know and she'll give me a loan. So at least I have that to fall back on.

I think I'm going to take it. I just need to be certain now.

vCash
    You should find out what typical raises are at the new job and compare to the old job. Many places have had salary freezes or limited increases for the past few years.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    $2500 definitely isn't worth staying at a job you hate.

vCash
    Sarah - what did you decide???
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Sarah - what did you decide???
    So I ended up accepting the position. I realized that if I want to get out from where I am, chances are I'll have to take some sort of a pay cut.

There are regularly annual merit raises at the new job which will help as well. The better schedule, shorter commute... I can always move somewhere less expensive if need be to save money. So hopefully I made the right choice! I'm tentatively set to start Feb. 1. I'll give my notice when we return in January.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll let you know how the job goes.

vCash
    Congrats, Sarah. Good luck with your new opportunity.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash
    Congratulations!
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Congratulations on the new job! What a nice way to end this year; knowing you'll soon leave a job you dislike for this new opportunity.

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    Congratulations on the new job!

I'm halfway through my MLIS and have a second master's in linguistics. I appreciated hearing your experiences in academic librarianship employment.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast