Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Good luck Sarah! Let us know how it goes if you're comfortable doing so.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Well, wish me luck! Dinner tonight then the full day tomorrow. I'm happy, but not, with my presentation. Oh well, I just need to stop thinking and start breathing!
    Relax, you'll do great! Trust in yourself!

Good luck tonight and tomorrow!

vCash
    Good luck, Sarah!

vCash
    Good luck!!!

vCash
    Wishing you good luck as well!

vCash
    Thanks everyone one. Dinner was fine (other than the fact that the restaurant thought we were going to was closed... That made things interesting.

I practiced the presentation a bunch yesterday and was feeling good about it. Then I tried to go through it after dinner and started second guessing everything. Since it would be too late to make changes, I just walked away. I have what I have so I'll just have to go for it.

vCash
    Came to this late. I was on the faculty of a major university for 15 yrs. The information here is on point. I just want to emphasize that no matter how bad your present situation is, don't mention it.

vCash
    Thanks everyone!

The interview day went really well. I met lots of people and everyone was very nice. Dinner the night before was nice and informal--just a get to know you type of thing--no real questions, just conversation.

The interview day started off with a brief meeting to discuss benefits then a tour. After that, I met with the interview committee for the "formal" part of the interview. That part went really well. I liked how I answered the questions and no question made me struggle. Then I had 15 minutes to prepare for my presentation and then the actual presentation.

I mentioned that I decided to present the database CINHAL which turned out to be a great choice. Everyone kept mentioning that they're much more familiar with PubMed so I'm glad I went with CINHAL. Many people told me they learned a lot, didn't know many of the abilities of the database, etc. My actual presentation went really well. Much better than some of my run throughs. People seemed surprised and then impressed that I did a live demonstration rather than a powerpoint (I get the idea that most candidates do powerpoints because then nothing can go wrong). First they seemed really surprised that I was doing a live demonstration but afterwards all seemed to think it was a great decision. So, if nothing else, I was VERY happy with how everything went.

After the presentation, more meeting. I met with the entire reference staff (AHH! small room, lots of people, lots of questions being fired left and right), but I survived and it went pretty well. Another meeting then lunch.

They chose 5 people from different areas to take me to lunch. Went to a place that basically served salads, pastas, and sandwiches! All items you typically want to avoid. I ordered last and since 1 person ordered pasta and the rest ordered paninis, I followed suit and got a panini though we all ended up eating with a knife and fork which cut out the mess possibilities.

A few more meeting after lunch then a final meeting with the search committee where some final questions were asked and I could ask anything else I wanted or ask, or share anything I didn't get to say during the day. Finally, 1 more meeting with the assistant director where briefly addressed salary. The only negative on the day. He didn't have the numbers in front of him but what he guessed at was a good $8,000 to $12,000 less than I'm making now THis is a state-related university with lots of money. I work for a state school with next to no money and few raises, etc. How am I making THAT MUCH MORE? People I mentioned this to who know both systems (a couple family members/close family friends) don't understand that either.

So the director mentioned this, I stayed indifferent. Let me get the position and find the actual pay before I make decisions. But, if it's where he thinks, I'll be turning down the position. Short commute and better scheduling are great, but not worth a pay cut of $10,000--I have too many bills/expenses. Director also indicated there was 1 more candidate coming the end of next week and they already interviewed 1 person. From what he said, I'm in line to either get the job or have them wish they have 2 spots based on how person 3 does.

Oh well, we'll see how things go. I don't know what/if I'll have any salary negotiation power--if I do, it likely won't be too much. A second masters bumps the salary, but only by $1000 which doesn't make much difference.

I just wish every job listed a salary scale/range. I've skipped jobs applying because of this and if I knew up front hat the salary would be low, I'd not have applied nor wasted 2 vacation days for the interview.

vCash
    Just regard the interview as practice for the big one. There also an option of discussing the salary when they call to hire, usually the person who hires has some leeway.

vCash
    I'm happy it went well! Whatever happens with the offer or salary, it sounds like it's been a good interview experience. And what mrr50 said about practice.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Glad that it went well! I hope they make you an offer, even if you decide not to take it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Coming in late on this, but it is an interesting discussion.

If you get an offer, and the salary is low, but not ridiculously low, I suggest leave a bit of dead air for awhile. Let the person making the offer wait for your reply, then say something like "Unfortunately, I would be taking a significant pay cut to accept this offer".

I think that, if you take your time, and let them do the talking, there could be an increase in the offer. You might have to take a small step back in pay in order to have room for advancement in the future, Besides, what is the price of having a pleasant work environment, or getting away from a poisonous environment?

Best of luck.
    Last edited by JasperBoy; 12-04-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: typos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    There also an option of discussing the salary when they call to hire, usually the person who hires has some leeway.
    It's truly uncommon in academic jobs (IME anyway) to accept the first salary that is offered. The person making the offer would probably be very surprised if there *wasn't* some discussion and negotiation.

And even if the person who hires doesn't have some leeway themselves in making salary offers, they usually also have someone higher up they can go to and ask for more money.

In this case, I think the university knows that its salaries are below standard, if the very first meeting of the day was to talk about benefits (reasoning being, perhaps, that if the candidate learns about our great benefits first, later on they won't be so when they hear about the salary).

JasperBoy's advice about responding to the salary offer is excellent.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Congrats on a great job talk!

My guess would be if you are coming from a smaller school, they may be assuming your pay scale is lower than theirs. That may explain why they put forward a low salary. If you get an offer, then you talk shop about wanting them to meet or exceed your present salary. I'm sure you know this already, but public institutions have a salary scale they are rather bound by. That said, they have an off-scale bonus range they can use to boost an offer within a particular pay scale. That off-scale bonus can be quite significant. They won't offer that up front unless they know you are already above their posted pay scales. But for many faculty positions they do have that flexibility to raise the salary during negotiations.

They can also bump you up a step in the pay grade (depending on the state), so that would give you more salary potential.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about the salary just yet.

Good luck, and hope it works out!!!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Sounds like it went really well, Sarah. Even if this doesn't lead to a position you'd accept, you've gotten some great experience.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Thanks everybody! I'll keep you all updated. If I am offered the position, regardless of salary, I'll definitely take time to thing and negotiate--in other words, no immediate response. If I don't get the job, then I'll keep looking and make the best of where I am.

A small pay cut would be manageable (shorter commute = much less gas), but beyond that... We'll see if it even comes to that.

But overall, I'm really happy with how the interview went. I was told after I interviewed for an internship during grad school (despite this, I got the internship--the positives of no other applicants!) that I interview terribly. I just get too nervous. It's nice to see how far I've come. There is no way even a year ago I could have managed this interview, or at least as well, so all in all, success!

vCash
    So I got the job! Unfortunately, the pay is lower and there is no room for negotiation. The pay is slightly higher than what I expected after the interview, but it's still just over $5000 less than what I'm making now. Gas and less wear and tear on my car will make a difference, but at the end of the day, I don't know if I can manage a pay cut. Benefits are comparable.

So, I'm stressing and giving myself headaches (after coming off a week of migraines, I really DON'T need stress). I hate my job now and this is so much closer to home. The people are nice, the environment is nice, and the university is far more prestigious than my current university. I actually have classes I want to take there.

All in all, I don't know. On the negatives, beyond salary, there is no managerial element in this position whereas my current position I supervise 2 staff members. This could hold me back in the future for future position, but at the same time, I at least have some managerial experience.

If I can find a way to cut expenses down (I have 3 horses and mentioned to my landlord that I might move them from their property to somewhere cheaper if I take the job... I might need to say that to her husband to see if he can cut me a break) or pick up some additional work somewhere/sometime, I could make it work. But...

Anyway, they want an answer ASAP. I found out yesterday (Friday) and they'd like my answer Monday, though they agreed to Tuesday or early Wednesday if necessary. If I don't accept, they do have other qualified candidates...

I think this part is harder than the interview. Any advice?

vCash
    Money isn't everything. That's all I have to say.

vCash
    I'm sure you love your horses but do you really need all three of them? I don't mean to be callous but aren't horses very expensive to maintain? At the end of the day what is more important to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    So I got the job! Unfortunately, the pay is lower and there is no room for negotiation. The pay is slightly higher than what I expected after the interview, but it's still just over $5000 less than what I'm making now. Gas and less wear and tear on my car will make a difference, but at the end of the day, I don't know if I can manage a pay cut. Benefits are comparable.

So, I'm stressing and giving myself headaches (after coming off a week of migraines, I really DON'T need stress). I hate my job now and this is so much closer to home. The people are nice, the environment is nice, and the university is far more prestigious than my current university. I actually have classes I want to take there.

All in all, I don't know. On the negatives, beyond salary, there is no managerial element in this position whereas my current position I supervise 2 staff members. This could hold me back in the future for future position, but at the same time, I at least have some managerial experience.

If I can find a way to cut expenses down (I have 3 horses and mentioned to my landlord that I might move them from their property to somewhere cheaper if I take the job... I might need to say that to her husband to see if he can cut me a break) or pick up some additional work somewhere/sometime, I could make it work. But...

Anyway, they want an answer ASAP. I found out yesterday (Friday) and they'd like my answer Monday, though they agreed to Tuesday or early Wednesday if necessary. If I don't accept, they do have other qualified candidates...

I think this part is harder than the interview. Any advice?

vCash
    If you think you wouldn't be happy in the position over the long-term, or would be interested in moving to something more prestigious a few years later, I would hesitate. If you think this is a place you would like to work over the long haul, then I would take it.

Some people are very upwardly mobile and view each job as a stepping stone to the next. If that somewhat describes you, this would be a bit of a step down, and would make future job negotiations more difficult. OTOH, there are others looking to settle down in one place and aren't looking to move several times. If so, this definitely sounds like an improvement over where you are.

I think it comes down to who you are and what you want long-term.

Congrats on the job offer!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast