Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

For those interested, Watergate Salad.
    I wonder why it's called a "salad"? It's a freaking dessert !

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I wonder why it's called a "salad"? It's a freaking dessert !
    Seems to be in the tradition of molded jello salads, which were all the rage in the 40s-60s. This recipe is mid 1970s, and as one might expect, was created by a food company to sell their new product (as are so many of the dishes that we think of as "mom's special recipe" - she got them off the back of a box or a can folks!).

Nowadays, I don't eat any processed foods and only the tiniest amount of sugar, so of course this recipe is . But Super Bowl Sunday is the one day I break ALL the rules and we pig out on all the crap that we don't allow ourselves the rest of the year, and this just got added to my list.

I love old recipes, especially when there are stories and traditions associated with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    For the first time in my life, my husband and I are going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner, and it sounds divine! I'll have the prime rib, thank you!
    Are you in Atlanta, Holley?

vCash
    I've been invited to four different places this year - I'm going to two of them. One I'm going to shortly, just to nibble on snacks and schmooze a bit. Then, later, I'm going to my ex's. His bf makes a great turkey and all the classic sides, plus he makes cranberry sauce from scratch, bless his heart. Hope all US FSUers have a happy Turkey Day - I know I am...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I feel like I need to go on a diet just reading this thread.

Hope you all are having a fun and not too dysfunctional Thanksgiving!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I found a cranberry sauce recipe on line last night. Just made it and boy is is good - except that it needs eight hours to gel and I only have six hours left until dinner time. Hope it's not still liquid!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Really craving this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html. Missing my mother. Doesn't anyone make this kind of pie anymore?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Really craving this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html. Missing my mother. Doesn't anyone make this kind of pie anymore?
    Sure we do. It's more a Christmas thing for us, though - not for Thanksgiving.

Sorry about you missing your mom - hope you have good memories.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I found a cranberry sauce recipe on line last night. Just made it and boy is is good - except that it needs eight hours to gel and I only have six hours left until dinner time. Hope it's not still liquid!
    Maybe putting it in the freezer for a bit will help. It works with jello. So does using ice cubes in place of some of the water but it sounds like it's too late for that.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Hope you all are having a fun and not too dysfunctional Thanksgiving!
    Cheers, the dysfunction is oftentimes the best part! In my family, it's like a floorshow that comes with the meal. Add booze and fasten your seatbelts!

Thank goodness my sister-in-law is a good cook.

Wishing a fabulous Thanksgiving to all, I know I am truly thankful for so many things, it's nice to have a day on which we can reflect and/or meditate on that concept.
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-24-2011 at 06:15 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    They've arrived.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I think I just made the best glaze I've ever made for the ham. #yum
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    We (DH, daughter home for weekend, and I) made:

Appetizers: Cheese platter with Cheddar, Goat, Gruyere, Havarti, Manchego, Robiola, Stilton with Cranberries--decorated with Apricots, Clementines or some kind of Baby Orange with leaves, Dried Cranberries, fresh Figs, Star Fruit, Pomegranate; Baked Brie en Croute with Orange Marmalade; and Shrimp with cocktail sauce.

Desserts: Apple Crisp, Bread Pudding with Pumpkin and Bittersweet Chocolate with whipped cream, Flour-less Chocolate Cake with whipped cream, and Pecan Pie.

I hate baking: don't have the patience to measure and do most of my cooking by eye, so thank heavens for DH and daughter, I overcooked the pie shell for the pecan pie, thank heavens for pre-made boxed shells.

Son and Daughter in law are making:

Turkey (might be fried), Cranberry, Stuffing, Gravy, Basil Garlic Green Beans, Orange Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows, Stuffed Mushrooms.

Going to have my DH's parents, age 91 on oxygen and walker and 89 on walker, out for the first time since he went in hospital July 1st and into great decline; my son's MIL and one BIL, two grandchildren 7 and 5, and us three, I think that's 11. Oh, and my in-laws hate garlic, but DIL loves it and I don't know how to tell her green bean casserole would probably have been better, oh well.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Maybe putting it in the freezer for a bit will help. It works with jello. So does using ice cubes in place of some of the water but it sounds like it's too late for that.
    Thanks. Seems like it is starting to set, but if it isn't by 4:00 I will pop it into the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Going to have my DH's parents, age 91 on oxygen and walker and 89 on walker, out for the first time since he went in hospital July 1st and into great decline; my son's MIL and one BIL, two grandchildren 7 and 5, and us three, I think that's 11. Oh, and my in-laws hate garlic, but DIL loves it and I don't know how to tell her green bean casserole would probably have been better, oh well.
    I always have to have at least one vegetable that is "father-approved". My dad doesn't like a whole lot of spices beyond salt, pepper and chili powder .

We only have eight this year, which is a small group for us. I think I have still cooked for our usual 12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I actually ate this type of pie in the Navy - two of the ships I was on served it for the Xmas dinner. And a couple of times off-base in California. Can't remember when I had it last. You bought up some memories...hope your memories of your Mom are good ones.

Just got back from the first place I was invited too - nice quick bus ride. They were eating brunch still, so I got some bagels and muffins and a sampling of turkey and dressing. I got a ride home and now I can rest up for my big meal with my ex and our friends tonight. I'm watching Chris Bowman skate vids on YouTube. .

vCash
    I just finished the cornbread sausage dressing and realized I'm going to give people heart attacks with it. IT IS SO RICH.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    I think I just made the best glaze I've ever made for the ham. #yum
    Share? MIL always makes hers with just Keen's mustard as a glaze, and on the side. Dull.

vCash
    I'm making gougeres (cheese puffs, really yummy) and pecans to go with champagne for cocktail hour, then followed by the usual suspects: turkey, truffled cornbread stuffing with pecans, mashed potatoes, green beans, brussel sprouts, gravy, cranberry sauce. Dessert is flan, apple pie and sweet potato pie.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for FSU and its snarky, funny, constantly entertaining presence in my life for almost 10 years

vCash
    I would like to say I am thankful that I baked my first cake from scratch. I still can't believe I did it.

Hubby's family is having Honey Baked Ham, sauted squash and carrots, broccoli casserole, potato salad, sage dressing, cranberry sauce, cucumber salad, homemade sour cream rolls, deviled eggs, and sweet potato casserole.

Dessert is my cake and pecan pie.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I would like to say I am thankful that I baked my first cake from scratch. I still can't believe I did it.
    what kind did you make?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast