Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Briber of judges
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    15,857
    vCash
    2574
    Rep Power
    14593
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    This schedule makes Sr. Nationals feel like a Grand Prix event. Four days to get it all done.
    For the last couple of seasons all the senior events have happened over four days. I'm not sure how this schedule is different, other than seniors have to compete first instead of last.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    This tentative schedule ("subject to change") is what is included in USFS' bid package/request for proposal for 2014 Nationals -- deadline for host cities to complete and return their applications is by February 3, 2012.
    Although I concede this schedule is "subject to change" it definitely appears the USFS and (or NBC ) is wanting the senior events first in 2014. Don't you think, Sylvia?

    I'm hoping the host city will offer "championship event" tickets as well as "all event" tickets, rather than just a "weekend package" for the free skates/free dance.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    For the last couple of seasons all the senior events have happened over four days. I'm not sure how this schedule is different, other than seniors have to compete first instead of last.
    For me (and I suspect those who attend regularly) the big difference is practices. I come early and I do attend novice and junior competitions. However, the big draw for me is, was and always will be - Sr. Men's Practice. I'm sure for others it is Dance or Pairs or Ladies, but the build-up from novice through junior with practice along the way - all leading up to senior competition - is a big deal. As much as I like junior men's, I won't stay for 5 days to watch novice and junior practices after the main event (and all those practice sessions) are over.

    I wonder how many cities will actually bid.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    For me (and I suspect those who attend regularly) the big difference is practices. I come early and I do attend novice and junior competitions. However, the big draw for me is, was and always will be - Sr. Men's Practice. I'm sure for others it is Dance or Pairs or Ladies, but the build-up from novice through junior with practice along the way - all leading up to senior competition - is a big deal. As much as I like junior men's, I won't stay for 5 days to watch novice and junior practices after the main event (and all those practice sessions) are over.

    I wonder how many cities will actually bid.
    I think this is going to the reaction of a lot of us. You put the "big draw" first why should we stay? It's not cheap and....well it's novice. While they are cute it's best not to get too attached. A lot of them are never seen again

  4. #24
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Shamelessly fangirling
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1681
    Seems like this schedule would be ideal for a city like Spokane, which packed the arena for the Novice and Junior events with locals. I'm hoping Boston gets it, but Spokane wouldn't be a bad alternative. As much as people complain about having it in that city, they do an amazing job with the event.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,639
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What genius came up with this schedule?

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've been looking at the calendar and I can see that there are some issues that are just plain old hard to deal with.

    Scenario #1

    Nationals - January 5-12, 2014 with senior events January 9-12
    This is the schedule we would normally expect to see. Under this schedule there are 3 weekends between Nationals and Olympics (starting Feb 7th). With Four Continents somewhere in that 3 weeks, this is pretty tight.

    We would normally assume that the members of the Olympic Team would not be competing at Four Continents. However, who knows what the injury and competition experience will be like that year. If, for example, Davis and White (knock on wood) had an injury that year that prevented them from competing until Nationals, they might very well want to use Four Continents for some additional competition experience.

    Scenario #2

    Nationals - December 29, 2013 - January 5, 2014 with senior events on January 2-5th.
    This schedule might require many novice and junior competitors to travel the day after Christmas or even on Christmas Day. I can envision many complaints and upset parents and coaches with this schedule.

    I don't know what the schedule for Grand Prix Finals is like that year. That schedule could add to the scheduling challenges for Nationals.


    Personally I prefer either scenario to the tentative schedule being proposed by the USFSA. I think any city bidding for Nationals would prefer another scenario as well.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,639
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    All i know is that US Nationals in 2010 ended less then 3 weeks before the start of Olympics and our skaters were great in Vancouver. If this 2014 schedule comes to pass our skaters will be waiting 5, 6 weeks to compete which is way to long considering they will be peaking right about then. The last thing they need to do is sit and wait. What the hell is the USFSA thinking?

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,180
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    All i know is that US Nationals in 2010 ended less then 3 weeks before the start of Olympics and our skaters were great in Vancouver. If this 2014 schedule comes to pass our skaters will be waiting 5, 6 weeks to compete which is way to long considering they will be peaking right about then. The last thing they need to do is sit and wait. What the hell is the USFSA thinking?
    Opening day of Vancouver Olympics - Feb 12

    Opening day of Sochi Olympics - Feb 7

    So Nationals needs to be earlier than it was in 2010.

    Simple math.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    763
    The skaters also have the new team competition at the Olympics to think about. I doubt many of them will want to go to 4CC's

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,639
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So why not have Nationals start on the 7th? They would end on the 16th which is more then enough time to get ready for Sochi. Starting them in December is moronic.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,348
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2814

    Thumbs up

    I like this new schedule/format. I can see the seniors first, probably the Juniors, skip Novice, and fly home early.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I like this new schedule/format. I can see the seniors first, probably the Juniors, skip Novice, and fly home early.
    I think you need to look at the schedule again. It's Seniors, then novice, then juniors.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,266
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    All i know is that US Nationals in 2010 ended less then 3 weeks before the start of Olympics and our skaters were great in Vancouver. If this 2014 schedule comes to pass our skaters will be waiting 5, 6 weeks to compete which is way to long considering they will be peaking right about then. The last thing they need to do is sit and wait. What the hell is the USFSA thinking?
    We can force them to go to Four Contintents?

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,050
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think this is going to the reaction of a lot of us. You put the "big draw" first why should we stay? It's not cheap and....well it's novice. While they are cute it's best not to get too attached. A lot of them are never seen again
    I think you'd stay for the same reason you go early. If you are not one to go early, you won't stay but if you are one to go early, you will stay but I still do not like this schedule for so many reasons.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,050
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Seems like this schedule would be ideal for a city like Spokane, which packed the arena for the Novice and Junior events with locals. I'm hoping Boston gets it, but Spokane wouldn't be a bad alternative. As much as people complain about having it in that city, they do an amazing job with the event.
    I am not rooting for Spokane. They had the event in 2007 and 2010. Spread the event around a little.

    It's the 100th anniversary of the event (first held in New Haven in 1914), that would be cool if they could handle the event. Boston is bidding. I don't know who else is considering a bid.

    I'd like to see it in a city with a major airport hub so many more can travel to the event without breaking the bank. I'd also like it to be more centrally located. Perhaps Colorado Springs should host since those that are behind the 2014 season can spend their holidays working hard to pull off this event. (me bad!). Seriously, imagine being a volunteer for that event and giving up your holiday season!

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
    It's the 100th anniversary of the event (first held in New Haven in 1914), that would be cool if they could handle the event. Boston is bidding. I don't know who else is considering a bid.
    As much as I would like to see it return to Connecticut, the only city that's capable of handling a Nationals is Hartford. The problem with Hartford is that the XCEL Center is very uncomfortable and a virtual pit. There's also the issue of a secondary rink nearby and other logistical issues. Skate America in 2005 uncovered all the warts.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,180
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    So why not have Nationals start on the 7th? They would end on the 16th which is more then enough time to get ready for Sochi. Starting them in December is moronic.
    Isn't it more complicated going to Russia than it was going to Vancouver? Visas, jet lag, red tape.....I'm glad our skaters will have plenty of time in between.

  18. #38
    moving right along
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hiding from the mirror.
    Posts
    7,019
    vCash
    30817
    Rep Power
    15798
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    For me (and I suspect those who attend regularly) the big difference is practices. I come early and I do attend novice and junior competitions. However, the big draw for me is, was and always will be - Sr. Men's Practice. I'm sure for others it is Dance or Pairs or Ladies, but the build-up from novice through junior with practice along the way - all leading up to senior competition - is a big deal. As much as I like junior men's, I won't stay for 5 days to watch novice and junior practices after the main event (and all those practice sessions) are over.
    Sadly, this is my biggest disappointment about the schedule as well.

    I'll probably skip nationals and do an international competition instead.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Zamboni room
    Posts
    426
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    So why not have Nationals start on the 7th? They would end on the 16th which is more then enough time to get ready for Sochi.
    There will be visa issues in 2014 that weren't present in 2010 for U.S. athletes - and it's not just the skaters who will require visas before they can arrive in Russia; coaches, parents, etc. will need visas - and visas to Russia are not always processed on a predictable timeline , at a time when there will an unusually large number of visa applications being submitted. (And speaking of "timely," after U.S. Figure Skating nominates the Olympic Team and USOC approves the nominations, the Sochi Olympic Committee will have to issue invitations before visa applications can be submitted, which is another step that could involve unpredictable timing. This is the first time that I've thought about the visa application process for Sochi, but now I'm wondering if Nationals should have been scheduled for November instead! )

    This schedule is very different and my first reaction was between and . However, I'm a convert: I love it for an Olympic year. Putting the Seniors first will alleviate the headaches caused in 2010 by the deadline for 4Cs entries, so any athlete can be selected, not just those submitted on the entry/sub list, plus they will have some downtime between Nationals and 4Cs, which should decrease stress and increase performance. For the athletes selected for Sochi, this will allow a true periodization cycle between Nationals and the Olympics. Once again, this may decrease the risk of injuries and increase the probability of peak performance at the Olympics.

    Putting the Novices and Juniors into a secondary arena will save money. A lot of money. Depending on the location of 2014 Nationals , A Lot Of Money. It also allows more flexibility in terms of selecting a host city by requiring only one weekend in a large arena (easier to schedule in a city with a large/busy arena) and fewer total days in the main arena. It's too bad that the Novices and Juniors will not be able to skate in the Big Rink, but in the Recent Era, Novices only started skating in the main arena in 2007 and the Juniors traditionally skated short in the secondary facility and long in the main arena, so there's precedent.

    Plus, I suspect that the "secondary arena" will be an arena that seats a few thousand, so the Novices/Juniors may still have an "arena" experience - although I remember well when the Novices competed in a regular rink. One year, there were about a hundred bleacher seats. . In addition, the main arena doesn't fill for the Novices/Juniors and the athletes are typically performing to empty seats with some scattered friends and family (oh, and elementary school children sitting in the top rows of one section and screaming randomly; can't forget them!). Skating in a packed arena in front of 2,000 people will be an electric environment that may mirror the experience of Senior Nationals much more than skating in an empty larger arena. The secondary arena at 2007 Spokane Nationals was an awesome environment, assuming you could find a seat and didn't drop anything. (There does not appear to be a smilie that looks like someone sitting in the middle of packed bleachers, desperately staring down 10 feet at his/her pencil swimming in a pool of dust bunnies, hoping that the pencil would magically teleport itself back up. This is the closest that I could find: . )

    One more thought: scheduling the Seniors on January 4th/5th instead of January 11th/12th means that the broadcast will be against the Wild Card round of the NFL playoffs instead of the Divisional Playoffs. I think that's probably better for viewship, although that's sheer speculation: among people I know, Nationals on television would beat out the moon landing, the final episode of Dallas, and the Superbowl, no question.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    One more thought: scheduling the Seniors on January 4th/5th instead of January 11th/12th means that the broadcast will be against the Wild Card round of the NFL playoffs instead of the Divisional Playoffs. I think that's probably better for viewship, although that's sheer speculation: among people I know, Nationals on television would beat out the moon landing, the final episode of Dallas, and the Superbowl, no question.
    This will actually make the scheduling very difficult for NBC, as NBC televises the wild card games on Saturday. At the very least, that would mean no primetime coverage on NBC on Saturday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •