vCash

November 22, 1963

IN MEMORIUM

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

I think many of us of a certain age will always wonder about what might have been.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Many more of us wonder when the conspiracy theorists will just GIVE IT UP ALREADY. JFK: The Lost Bullet was basically a retread of Unsolved History's foray into the assassination (very expensive conclusion: the shots could only come from one place, above and behind.)

Irony: the one assassination an absurd number of people are convinced for no good reason was a conspiracy was a lone disgruntled shooter (Oswald), the one everyone thinks of as a lone madman (Booth) was the only one of the four that actually WAS a conspiracy. (Admittedly Booth probably would have had more success if he'd recruited coconspirators from random people on the street rather than the idiots he DID work with, but it *was* a conspiracy...)

vCash
    I think the nature of conspiracy types is that they never give it up already . . . . just not their nature. Think of the whole assinine "birther movement".

vCash
    Even though I was only nine, I still remember everything about that awful afternoon.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    I think the nature of conspiracy types is that they never give it up already . . . . just not their nature. Think of the whole assinine "birther movement".
    The birthers have more evidence than any JFK conspiracist ever did. Even the 9-11 "truthers" who think things like 'fire doesn't melt steel' have more plausible reasoning than "there was a mob gunman on the grassy knoll who was working for Castro becuase of the CIA" people. There are moon-landing fakers and Holocaust deniers with more legs to stand on. What especially hacks me off is the "Oswald was a patsy" people constatly ignore not only the overwhelming evidence that he shot Kennedy and Connaly but always seem to avoid the issue of his, oh, murdering J.D. Tippet less than an hour later, too.

William Manchester overdramatized and DEFINITELY sanitized a lot about the Kennedys as people, but his recounting of the mechanics of the assassination has never really been proven wrong--in fact the "new math" about the timing of the shots that NatGeo just "revealed" was exactly what Manchester had written in 1967.

(No, I'm not really sentimental about it. It's about as consequential as the Lincoln assassination for me. I think it shocks a lot of Boomer-age people when people my age and younger just don't react to it--my Vietnam war seminar professor was kind of stunned by how clincal we all were about Vietnam until he realized it was just as academic to us as the Spanish-American War. If anything most of us were more likely to get actively upset about the Civil War.)

vCash
    Gone but never forgotten. R.I.P.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The birthers have more evidence than any JFK conspiracist ever did.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Gone but never forgotten. R.I.P.
    Apparently he is forgotten.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I think there is abundant evidence leading to the conclusion that there was more than one shooter. What the conspiracy behind that was, we will never know for sure.

That aside, I think JFK is a classic example of die young leave a beautiful corpse. I think had he lived at least some of his private bad behavior would have gone public. I am doubtful he would have been reelected. For sure, this myth of Camelot that surrounds him to this day would have significantly dimmed as truths came to light.

Just my thoughts.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Connect View Post
    I think there is abundant evidence leading to the conclusion that there was more than one shooter.

I'm not a JFK uber but your after the fact cynicism is ridiculous.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Apparently he is forgotten.

RIP.

vCash
    For the 20th anniversary of JFK's assassination, someone made an excellent documentary, "Years of Lightning, Day of Drums." Has anyone else seen it

vCash
    bad link
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 11-23-2011 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=skatesindreams;3379382]It's available on YouTube

"Years of Lightning, Day of Drums." - 1964
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4SwEUS408o

vCash
    double post