Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    This seems like a lose/lose situation for all involved.

The USFS is missing out on promoting it's OGM winner and generating interest in a sport that is struggling to find an audience. They currently have NO personality to sell to the general public.

Lysacek despite being a finalist on DWTS and winning an OGM is not a household name and is pretty much out of sight out of mind. He has to realize that the endorsements he has now have a shelf life and if he wants the gravy train to keep running he needs to continue to compete and put his name out there to the general public.

The USFS and Lysacek need each other IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post

The USFS is missing out on promoting it's OGM winner and generating interest in a sport that is struggling to find an audience. They currently have NO personality to sell to the general public.

Lysacek despite being a finalist on DWTS and winning an OGM is not a household name and is pretty much out of sight out of mind. He has to realize that the endorsements he has now have a shelf life and if he wants the gravy train to keep running he needs to continue to compete and put his name out there to the general public.

ITA, but only if Lysacek is as fit as he claims himself to be.

Perhaps the best route now is for him to re-negotiate his SOI deal.

vCash
    They currently have NO personality to sell to the general public.
    They may have that problem even WITH Evan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    They may have that problem even WITH Evan

At the very least they can sell the fact that he has an OGM.

vCash
    Thanks for posting the info from the federation, N*ice Mom. It appears that there may have been a conflict of interests even if Evan didn't mind giving a percentage of his earnings to the federation.

If he really want to come back he'll sort it out next season and settle for a loss of earnings is he has to. He's a rich young man already and if the money is the issue, he can't want to compete that badly.

But he's also a quasi-celebrity and maybe it makes more sense to milk that while he can rather than return to competition knowing that he might not be a top contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    At the time that Evan entered into his contracts, they might not have been in conflict with a USFSA relationship. The USFSA enters into new relationships with sponsors each year. There is no way for Evan, or any other skater, to predict which sponsors that the USFSA might partner with in the future. For example, next week the USFSA could decide to enter into a contract with Clinique to be the exclusive cosmetic company of USFSA. If Weir decided to return to competion, then the USFSA would not approve his contract with MAC b/c it would conflict with a USFSA sponsor relationship. Would it have been a conflict w/ a USFSA relationship at the time that Weir entered into his contract w/ MAC? No. Would Weir have had any reason to expect that his contract w/ MAC would conflict with a USFSA relationship? No.
    Any well written contract would allow carve outs for personal endorsements that athletes get for themselves, they have to be written that way to allow a degree of flexibility. Don't know what the USFS would do but in football (soccer) the contracts have to be flexible because sponsors of a particular team may conflict with sponsors for the national team (boots, shirts, kit, hoardings around the pitch) which in turn may conflict with any personal endorsements the athlete has made themselves. Since these agreements are often annual they are are often phrased so that any agreements already in place prior to signing up to the current athlete agreement are automatically approved. The bigger the star the more room for negotiation. David Beckham never had a problem with his endorsements.

vCash
    even if Evan didn't mind giving a percentage of his earnings to the federation.
    I did a little checking with friends who'd know better than I would about this % of earnings thing for the USFSA. This has been, at one time or another, the case for other federations most notably the Russian Federation before the fall of the USSR.

However, it is NOT a part of the agreement with the USFSA that they get a nice big, or small, hunk of anyone's endorsements, earnings, etc. They do have an approval option (as noted previously in this thread) but they aren't taking any part of a skater's current or future earnings. Taking a piece of the individual's earnings is simply not part of their model so let's take that one off the table.
    Last edited by Willowway; 11-23-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I did a little checking with friends who'd know better than I would about this % of earnings thing for the USFSA. This has been, at one time or another, the case for other federations most notably the Russian Federation before the fall of the USSR.

However, it is NOT a part of the agreement with the USFSA that they get a nice big, or small, hunk of anyone's endorsements, earnings, etc. They do have an approval option (as noted previously in this thread) but they aren't taking anything off the top for a skater's current or future earnings. Taking a piece of the individual's earnings is simply not part of their model so let's take that one off the table.
    Thanks for the info.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post

Disagree 100%

I see Sean white in some stupid gum commercial on tv. Know exactly who he is because he won an ogm a long time ago. I have no idea at all if he's ever won anything since or if he is even still competing. this happens all the time with sports I don't follow. I only know the "stars" because of their oly medals.

An ogm is set for life endorsement wise and need never put a pair of skates on again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I see Sean white in some stupid gum commercial on tv. Know exactly who he is because he won an ogm a long time ago. I have no idea at all if he's ever won anything since or if he is even still competing. this happens all the time with sports I don't follow. I only know the "stars" because of their oly medals.

An ogm is set for life endorsement wise and need never put a pair of skates on again.
    Shaun White (I assume that's who you meant) is very high profile for a winter Olympian, even an OGM, and he didn't win his medals long ago. Would you be able to recognize all the other American OGMs from Vancouver? Not all OGMs are made equal in terms of public perception and opportunities to capitalize financially. Lysacek, being a skater, has it better than most, but I would imagine that for people who aren't skating fans, his celebrity won't be so long-lived - unless he finds a way to stay in the public eye.

vCash
    Putting aside his level of athletic achievement, Shaun White has always had a 'cool' factor and an engaging on-air personality that very few other athletes can start to match. Shaun and Evan aren't on the same playing field marketing-wise or public profile-wise. Every 15 year old in the US probably knows who Shaun is and wants to snowboard just like him - very few would know who Evan is or much care.

vCash
    Disagree 100%

Bad example, BG. Shaun White is huge, both as a skateboarder and a snowboarder. Last year he did the summer Dew Tour and wowed the crowds with his skateboarding, something he hasn't done in a while. He was a huge hit on the circuit.

I don't even follow "X-games" and I knew this.

vCash
    If Sarah Hughes can find work (Disson shows, and I don't know what else), Evan should have no problem. His OGM is more recent ... and his DWTS stint also helps.

vCash

Now I'm dying to see this baby-eating satanic contract that is sooooooo hideously evil that the usfs would rather bolt the door to it's most successful male Skater in the past 20 years than be tainted by it's dangerous glow.
    My husband works in the packaging department of a pet food company owned by an international corporation. The company was only recently acquired by the corporation. Recently, they had a meeting in which it was explained to them that they are not allowed to have any affiliation with a competing company including a spouse's employment. Read that carefully--- the wife of a guy in the packaging room for dog treats at one plant that belongs to a multinational corporation cannot have affiliation with any competitor of that corporation--and not just a direct pet food competitor, rather any competitor in any sector the corporation has an interest in. As if one guy who packages dog biscuits for one of the corp's smallest brands matters that much.

So if USFSA has sponsorship from this particular corporation (I am not allowed to say the name of it by the ethics he had to agree to and inform me of), do you really think they don't have a clause in their contract with USFSA that skaters cannot have endorsements or affiliations with competitors? The skaters are much more visible than the people who work in the plants, aren't they?

This may not have been USFSA's choice if this sort of affiliation is the issue.

Quadless
    vCash

2010 is a long time ago? (BTW - Shaun White is a double OLY gold medalist - 2006 and 2010.) At any rate, Shaun White was an iconic presence at both of his Olympics because of his skill level and red hair, which earned him the moniker of "The Flying Tomato." He has also totally dominated his sport, in much the same way as Apollo Ohno or Michael Johnson have, and he has two OLY gold medals in one of the coolest sports at the Olympics. Male figure skating doesn't exactly fall into that category.

Getting back to Evan, I'm sure he has shared his interests with his new agents. Now it remains to be seen whether they can deliver for him. Ironically, for all the flak some people gave Johnny about blowing his "15 minutes" after Vancouver, he's the current face of MAC cosmetics, there's a giant poster of him in just about every mall in America right now, and he's on TV or in the press just about every week. Those may not be the types of engagements that are of interest to Evan, but I cite them as examples of possibilities outside of skating to refute the claim that Evan needs U.S. Figure Skating right now.

Conversely, I don't think that USFS needs Evan either. Ticket sales for SKAM kind of prove that out. If Evan's face couldn't draw customers from his own backyard (2-1/2 hour commute in miserable traffic notwithstanding), then I'm not sure he's our sports' savior. (And that's not a knock on him - USFS has challenges that run far wider than any one men's skater could solve, Olympic champion or not.)
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Dunno what to make of it yet

vCash
    I know of Canadian skaters who were offered endoresement opportunities prior to the Vancouver games and Skate Canada refused to grant the waiver because the company making the offer was a direct competitor of one of their national sponsors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    David Beckham never had a problem with his endorsements.
    Are you comparing somehow Lysacek to Beckam?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Bad example, BG.
    because it's fsu and people love to miss the forest for the trees? is Shawn Johnson better? I've never once seen her do whatever it is she does, yet when she showed up for dwts I knew exactly who she was. Again, no idea what she did after the olys. Most people don't I'd imagine, because for sports like skating and gymnastics, once you have an oly medal, you're set for life.

But if people want to believe that an ogm desperately needs to show up to a non-oly year nat comp that can barely get tv coverage, just to stay in the conscience of a teeny tiny and shrinking everyday viewership, thats their prerogative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    If Sarah Hughes can find work (Disson shows, and I don't know what else), Evan should have no problem. His OGM is more recent ... and his DWTS stint also helps.
    Well, she made a million dollars for that awful year she mailed in on SOI. Does she do a lot of Disson shows? Even so, that's still only a few weekends a year. Plus she's from a loaded family and is dating that Guiliani kid. Judging by her twitter account, she doesn't do much of anything beyond yoga and the spa.

I don't know what Evan's long-term goals are. If he is trying to make a ton of money, he should get back into competing if he's as fit as he claims. He's not a household name as it is now; he's certainly no Shaun White. There isn't that much money out there to be made in apperances and endorsments for him.

Sarah Hughes is not a household name anymore; and she won her OGM in super-dramatic fashion during the Kwan era when people still cared a bit about skating.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast