In a telephone conversation Tuesday, Lysacek said he had chosen not to enter because of unresolved issues involving "prior contractual obligations." He declined to elaborate.
The two-time Olympian insisted Tuesday he still plans to take a shot at making the 2014 U.S. Olympic team. He reiterated his feeling, expressed last month, that "I am in the best shape of my life." Lysacek said he had been watching Grand Prix competitions to get a sense of what judges were rewarding and how that might affect his future competitive programs.
"I'm definitely still looking at Sochi as the goal, and I will continue to train as much as possible," he said. "My life has changed a great deal since I trained for the last Olympics, with a lot more obligations that lead me to prioritize and pick and choose what I do. But I am glad I started this whole process of training and preparing now instead of a year from now."
I asked Lysacek if he had considered joining Stars on Ice again when it became clear negotiations with USFS were going nowhere. He replied that Stars, run by his former agents, International Management Group, had no longer been an option once he planned to compete this season.
Stars on Ice producer Byron Allen said the same thing in a Tuesday email response to the question of whether Lysacek would have been invited to skate the tour after he had switched agents from IMG to Creative Artists Agency last summer.
"We never got to the point of making him an offer; he made it clear to us that competing was his priority this year," Allen wrote.