Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Phil Hersh has updated his article:
    In a telephone conversation Tuesday, Lysacek said he had chosen not to enter because of unresolved issues involving "prior contractual obligations." He declined to elaborate.
    The two-time Olympian insisted Tuesday he still plans to take a shot at making the 2014 U.S. Olympic team. He reiterated his feeling, expressed last month, that "I am in the best shape of my life." Lysacek said he had been watching Grand Prix competitions to get a sense of what judges were rewarding and how that might affect his future competitive programs.

"I'm definitely still looking at Sochi as the goal, and I will continue to train as much as possible," he said. "My life has changed a great deal since I trained for the last Olympics, with a lot more obligations that lead me to prioritize and pick and choose what I do. But I am glad I started this whole process of training and preparing now instead of a year from now."
    I asked Lysacek if he had considered joining Stars on Ice again when it became clear negotiations with USFS were going nowhere. He replied that Stars, run by his former agents, International Management Group, had no longer been an option once he planned to compete this season.

Stars on Ice producer Byron Allen said the same thing in a Tuesday email response to the question of whether Lysacek would have been invited to skate the tour after he had switched agents from IMG to Creative Artists Agency last summer.

"We never got to the point of making him an offer; he made it clear to us that competing was his priority this year," Allen wrote.

vCash
    Well, it's not like there are a ton of stars or a ton of opportunities for those stars, so I think someone needs to be the bigger man here and see if it's possible to get Evan on SOI.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Believe me, if SOI thought hiring Evan would put significantly more butts in seats, they wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Maybe they will; maybe they won't. But it's not a stand-off, at least that's not how Byron Allen sounded at all. He simply gave a one-sentence summary of 'why no Evan?' Allen did not say they wouldn't - he said they hadn't and why.
    Last edited by Willowway; 11-23-2011 at 02:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Admittedly, this is PR-speak that could mean a million different things in real life. But I don't think Evan is getting very good career guidance if he is being booked for "prior contractual obligations" at the same time as the major national competition in his sport. I know he has done other things besides skating (e.g. Dancing with the Stars), but it's skating he's best known for, and to pass on that for unspecified other "obligations" doesn't seem particularly wise to me - at least not until he has built more of a name outside of skating.
    "Prior contractual obligations" does not necessarily mean that Evan has been booked for something 'at the same time' as Nationals. As previously stated, if Evan signs the athlete agreement, then USFSA has to approve any of Evan's endorsements, sponsors, etc....Therefore, if Evan had previously entered into a contract prior to deciding to return to competitive skating, and the USFSA does not approve of that contract, then that 'prior contractual obligation' would prevent Evan from returning to competion.

vCash
    All of this is because Evan changed agents. CAA doesn't like the USFSA contract. This is the way they work. They are telling Evan not to skate. I don't know what CAA thinks he's worth, but Evan is not Brian Boitano. I think he'll regret this someday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    "Prior contractual obligations" does not necessarily mean that Evan has been booked for something 'at the same time' as Nationals. As previously stated, if Evan signs the athlete agreement, then USFSA has to approve any of Evan's endorsements, sponsors, etc....Therefore, if Evan had previously entered into a contract prior to deciding to return to competitive skating, and the USFSA does not approve of that contract, then that 'prior contractual obligation' would prevent Evan from returning to competion.
    I get what you are saying, but, again, if the public's knowledge of Evan is based on him being a competitive skater, and he was advised to sign a contract that limited his future competitive opportunities, he is not getting good advice.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Not bad news for Dornbush or Rippon.

vCash
    I never believed for one second that Evan would be back. Sometimes, your gut just tells you: NOT going to happen.

vCash
    I get what you are saying, but, again, if the public's knowledge of Evan is based on him being a competitive skater, and he was advised to sign a contract that limited his future competitive opportunities, he is not getting good advice.
    The 'public's knowledge' of Evan has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

After the Olympics, when Evan was not contemplating returning to competition, he was free to enter into any contract that he wanted to enter into. If Evan was not contemplating returning to competition at the time that he entered into the contracts, then limiting his future competitive opportunities was not something that he would have considered.

Now that Evan wants to return to competition, the USFSA has to approve his contracts. If USFSA does not approve of a contract that Evan has already entered into, and/or if the provisions of one of his contracts conflict with another provision of the USFSA athlete agreement, then Evan cannot compete. The USFSA can decide not to approve a skater's contract for something as simple as it being a contract to endorse a company that is a competitor of one of USFSA's sponsors. (USFSA's current sponsors are subject to change. What may not have been a conflict with a USFSA sponsor one or two years ago, may be a conflict today.) Furthermore, if the USFSA included in the athlete's agreement a provision that required Evan to make appearances on behalf of the USFSA or its sponsors without compensation, then that could conflict with the terms of the agreement that Evan has with CAA. (not sure what the current rate is, but in 2002, the going speaker fee for the local OGM in my hometown was $20,000, and her management agency made it clear that, per the terms of her contract with them, that the fee was non-negotiable)

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    If the Abbott from 2010 Nationals shows up, then team USA will do well. However, if the Abbott from the 2009 WC, 2009 World Team Trophy, or 2010 Olympics shows up, then team USA will be in big trouble.
    You are assuming Abbott will be on the team.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    The 'public's knowledge' of Evan has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
    It does if he is trying to build an image or career as something other than a skater/Olympic medalist, which, it would appear, is what his management is pushing him towards. And at the moment he does not have that "other" image. They know him as a skater. And until he has more of a public persona beyond skating, it is IMHO not a good idea to sign him to contracts which conflict with his relationship with USFS.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    If Evan was never planning on returning to competitive skating when he first turned professional why would he have to consider his contracts at that point. He was still known in the period after the Olympics as a skater. He was the star attraction on Stars on Ice, and he was on Dancing with the Stars introduced as the OGM in figure skating each night. Maybe things in that avenue werent going as well as he had hoped at the time, as that is the only reason he would even contemplate a return with virtually no hopes of repeating his past success. Still it is understandable why at the time he wouldnt have even worried about conflicting with the USFSA who he figured he would never have to deal with again after the 2010 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    You are assuming Abbott will be on the team.
    Does it really make a difference, seriously? I mean, we've all seen what a abbottless team can do and considering how the gp is going so far, it seems team USA with Abbott has a 50/50 chance, where as team USA w/out Abbott is sure to fail.

vCash
    They know him as a skater. And until he has more of a public persona beyond skating, it is IMHO not a good idea to sign him to contracts which conflict with his relationship with USFS.
    At the time that Evan entered into his contracts, they might not have been in conflict with a USFSA relationship. The USFSA enters into new relationships with sponsors each year. There is no way for Evan, or any other skater, to predict which sponsors that the USFSA might partner with in the future. For example, next week the USFSA could decide to enter into a contract with Clinique to be the exclusive cosmetic company of USFSA. If Weir decided to return to competion, then the USFSA would not approve his contract with MAC b/c it would conflict with a USFSA sponsor relationship. Would it have been a conflict w/ a USFSA relationship at the time that Weir entered into his contract w/ MAC? No. Would Weir have had any reason to expect that his contract w/ MAC would conflict with a USFSA relationship? No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I Maybe things in that avenue werent going as well as he had hoped at the time, as that is the only reason he would even contemplate a return with virtually no hopes of repeating his past success.
    Oh please. How do you know that is the "only reason" he would contemplate a return?

vCash
    At the time that Evan entered into his contracts, they might not have been in conflict with a USFSA relationship. The USFSA enters into new relationships with sponsors each year. There is no way for Evan, or any other skater, to predict which sponsors that the USFSA might partner with in the future. For example, next week the USFSA could decide to enter into a contract with Clinique to be the exclusive cosmetic company of USFSA. If Weir decided to return to competion, then the USFSA would not approve his contract with MAC b/c it would conflict with a USFSA sponsor relationship. Would it have been a conflict w/ a USFSA relationship at the time that Weir entered into his contract w/ MAC? No. Would Weir have had any reason to expect that his contract w/ MAC would conflict with a USFSA relationship? No.
    So what contracts does Evan currently have that might be in conflict with contracts that USFS has?

vCash
    until he has more of a public persona beyond skating, it is IMHO not a good idea to sign him to contracts which conflict with his relationship with USFS.

Now I'm dying to see this baby-eating satanic contract that is sooooooo hideously evil that the usfs would rather bolt the door to it's most successful male Skater in the past 20 years than be tainted by it's dangerous glow.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    And if I'm not mistaken, a top ten finish by the no. 1 guy and the US keeps the second spot no matter what. Abbott and Rippon did well enough in 2010 to keep a third spot.
    That is the case because the top two US men were in the top 18 in Moscow, the US has two direct entries as a result, and neither US Man has to compete in the qualification round. As a result, the maximum number of points US #2 could earn is 18, and that's only if he doesn't qualify for the Free Skate.

If US Man #2 makes it into the Free Skate, where the maximum number of points is 16, then US Man #1 can come in as low as 12th to retain two spots.

For Canadian Men, it's different, since there is only one direct entry, because Reynolds finished in 20th. It's numerically possible for Canada #2 to not make it out of the quali round and earn 20 points, in which case Canada #1 would have to be 8th or higher to retain two spots.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I would like to know if that's standard practice, too. If it is, USFSA should be ashamed of themselves. The envelope money doesn't even begin to make up for what the skaters and their families have spent over the years. Grabbing for a chunk of their endorsement deals just looks greedy.
    It's not like USFS was providing all of the training, ice, support, costumes, choreography, music, etc., like the Soviet Federation did and the Chinese Federation does. Under those circumstances, it makes sense for the Federations to take a cut.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    So what contracts does Evan currently have that might be in conflict with contracts that USFS has?
    FlexJet could conflct with United. Coca-Cola could conflict with HP Pavilion (venue for Nationals) which sells Pepsi products.

(ETA that I do not know all of Evan's sponsors; however, FlexJet and Coca-Cola are two that I am aware of)
    Last edited by SkateFan66; 11-23-2011 at 07:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Really, nubka??? So if you, for whatever reason, had a second job to make extra money and your first employer decreed to you that you had to turn over a percentage of your other income to them, you would do it happily? You would think yourself a diva if you did not?

If any skater earns endorsement money, unless the endorsement was specifically negotiated by USFSA, they should not be entitled to or demand any portion of the money.
    But we don't know if that's really the case. By the way, the diva smilie in my post wasn't meant for Evan...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast