Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

No U.S. Nationals for Lysacek

Lysacek won't enter U.S. Championships: Dispute with federation keeps skater's comeback on hold - by Philip Hersh

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-lysacek-wont-enter-us-championships-20111122,0,5599104.column
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Lysacek won't enter U.S. Championships: Dispute with federation keeps skater's comeback on hold - by Philip Hersh

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-lysacek-wont-enter-us-championships-20111122,0,5599104.column
    Oh well. Based on the GP performances this season, it is doubtful that team USA can earn back the third spot this year... just hope that they can hold on to two spots

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Oh well. Based on the GP performances this season, it is doubtful that team USA can earn back the third spot this year... just hope that they can hold on to two spots
    I can't imagine the US men skating badly enough to lose a spot; the only way that should happen is if someone has to WD and the other does badly (as happened to the Russian men in 2010). Also, Abbott has good programs and is getting great PCS; if he does well at Worlds,the US won't even need the other guy to place all that high. And Rippon is currently 12th on the season's best list (11th, if only counting seniors), with four Japanese skaters ahead of him - obviously they won't all be in Nice.

I'm so not surprised that Evan's out of Nats. I wonder how serious he was about this comeback to begin with - surely if he really wanted to compete, he'd have found a way to make a deal with the USFSA?

vCash
    The sole, ignorant comment after the article was:

"Why is this story about a dancing guy in the sports section? Perhaps there was a mistake on the way to the Tempo section, but the Trib should correct this."

vCash
    I wonder what Evan will do this season, since he isn't on the SOI cast list.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    From the linked article:

Sources have indicated the differences between Lysacek and the federation involved matters other than an appearance fee.
    I wonder what the other "matters" are?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash

I was really looking forward to see his skates for this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I can't imagine the US men skating badly enough to lose a spot; the only way that should happen is if someone has to WD and the other does badly (as happened to the Russian men in 2010). Also, Abbott has good programs and is getting great PCS; if he does well at Worlds,the US won't even need the other guy to place all that high. And Rippon is currently 12th on the season's best list (11th, if only counting seniors), with four Japanese skaters ahead of him - obviously they won't all be in Nice.

I'm so not surprised that Evan's out of Nats. I wonder how serious he was about this comeback to begin with - surely if he really wanted to compete, he'd have found a way to make a deal with the USFSA?
    Last year Chan won the WC and Canada still lost a world team spot; therefore, it takes two very solid performances by both skaters. All of the USA men that are competing have had consistency problems in the past. If the Abbott from 2010 Nationals shows up, then team USA will do well. However, if the Abbott from the 2009 WC, 2009 World Team Trophy, or 2010 Olympics shows up, then team USA will be in big trouble.

vCash
    If things weren't settled yet, maybe he shouldn't have even mentioned he was coming back until he knew for sure.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    It always amazes me when people worry that the US will go down to one spot for the men. You have to really work at losing that second spot. It isn't easy, and yes, I know the Russians and flukes can happen, but that can happen to anyone, so I'm not worried. As for Canada, they went from 3 to 2 spots. That is a lot different that going from 2 to 1 spot. It would take a lot for the US to lose a spot, and who knows? Maybe it'll happen, but I find it highly unlikely and not worth worrying about for 5 months.

vCash
    Last year Chan won the WC and Canada still lost a world team spot; therefore, it takes two very solid performances by both skaters. All of the USA men that are competing have had consistency problems in the past. If the Abbott from 2010 Nationals shows up, then team USA will do well. However, if the Abbott from the 2009 WC, 2009 World Team Trophy, or 2010 Olympics shows up, then team USA will be in big trouble.
    Canada doesn't have great depth behind Chan, and as Tesla noted, they lost a third spot - those are trickier to get and to keep. But to keep two spots with two skaters, the US men would need a total combined placement of 28 or less - which is not that hard to achieve. Abbott was 11th at his worst, I believe; in that case, the other skater would need to finish 17th to keep the second spot. And if I'm not mistaken, a top ten finish by the no. 1 guy and the US keeps the second spot no matter what. Abbott and Rippon did well enough in 2010 to keep a third spot.

ETA: Edited again because the correction was incorrect
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 11-22-2011 at 04:09 PM.

vCash
    Last year Chan won the WC and Canada still lost a world team spot; therefore, it takes two very solid performances by both skaters.
    Canada had 3 men at 2011 Worlds and they placed 1st, 20th and 24th. For a 2-skater team, their combined placements have to exceed 28 points to go down to just one spot. So even a combined 12th and 16th place finish would retain 2 spots.

ETA that I looked up the ISU Rule (#378) - relevant excerpt:
    Competitors who did not qualify for the Short Program in Single Skating/Pair Skating or the Original (Short) Dance in Ice Dance will be awarded 20 points. Competitors who were entered for the Short Program (qualified for Original (Short) Dance in Ice Dance), but did not qualify for the Free Skating (Free Dance in Ice Dance), will be awarded 18 points for Singles [top 24 qualify for FS in singles] and the number of points equal to their placement in Short Program/Original (Short) Dance for Pairs/Ice Dance couples (however if this placement is lower than 18, only 18 points will be awarded)
    Zemgirl was right.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-22-2011 at 03:16 PM.

vCash
    That's just bizarre. I understood the GP, but... I think this is an error if he really wants to go to Sochi. Plus the training etc.. has to be costing him $$$$ with no "reward"

Quadless
    vCash
    I had to laugh at this reader comment:

Why is this story about a dancing guy in the sports section?
    I'm not really surprised about this. If Evan truly wanted to compete, he would have done the GP.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I wonder what the other "matters" are?
    It sounds to me like he wants more money than he would be getting from being on whatever "envelope" he would be on now. In other words, I think he wants a special envelope restricted to the Federation's only active Olympic Gold Medalist (or perhaps to Olympic medalists, which would include Davis & White).

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I wonder what Evan will do this season, since he isn't on the SOI cast list.
    Why, stand and model, of course.

vCash
    The rumour I heard was that the USFSA wants a percentage of Evan's endorsement contracts. IOW's he has to pay THEM if he wants to compete, and that Evan is balking at this grab of his endorsement income.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    The rumour I heard was that the USFSA wants a percentage of Evan's endorsement contracts. IOW's he has to pay THEM if he wants to compete, and that Evan is balking at this grab of his endorsement income.
    I wonder if the USFSA ever got a percentage from other skaters, Michelle, Tara, Sarah, etc..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Is taking a percentage of a skater's endorsement income standard practice for the USFSA? Is that in the contract everybody signs?

Edited to add: Adam Rippon, Richard Dornbush, and Ross Miner must be extremely relieved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Is taking a percentage of a skater's endorsement income standard practice for the USFSA? Is that in the contract everybody signs?
    That would be my next question as well. (though, it was pointed out that it was only a rumor)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    If it is, it shouldn't be. And if this is the reason, I do not blame Lysacek for refusing. If it is not standard, it is a shameless money grab by USFSA. If it has been a standard practice, he is still right to take a stand for himself and other skaters who have been subject to it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast