vCash

Your choice for a mop? Fav cleaning products

I have begun to purchase products, to start my own house cleaning service. I am going to offer general cleaning: vacuuming, dusting, cleaning bathrooms, floors, kitchen counters, outside of appliances and emptying trash. I am not going to get into carpet cleaning, but will offer window cleaning.

I am stuck on what type of mop to purchase, as I do my own small floors by hand. I was considering the swiffer, they have a sweep & mop, and also a wet jet. Just wondered if this type of mop would hold up? Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

I also have to learn about what products to use on: granite, marble, and wood flooring.

I am purchasing liability insurance, but I want to learn as much as I can before I start to advertise. I purchased 2 books, and they have been helpful.

Thank you in advance!

vCash
    do you have a local janitorial/cleaning supply retail store near you? http://thecleaningmart.com/ is one in my area and they have great commercial cleaning products. That would be of great assistance to you for both products and cleaning tips.

vCash
    The trick with wood flooring is that you don't want to get it too wet. Damp is okay, wet is bad. I thus never actually "mop" my hardwood floors. Instead, I use this type of mop:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...or-care-system

Bona makes a nice one. The advantage is that this should be less cost, over time, to you - you can use any hardwood floor cleaner with it, and the mop is reusable, rather than disposable, so you can wash it. It can be used dry, for dusting the floor, or damp, for more cleaning, or fairly wet, for real cleaning.

As for hardwood floor cleaners, I like gentle cleaners with just a hint of ammonia or similar, like the Bona cleaner: http://bonafloorcleaner.com/bonamops_021.htm

The Minwax hardwood floor cleaner is also good, but I prefer Bona. You can also make your own hardwood floor cleaner out of a mix of water and white vinegar. Again, the key is damp mop, not wet mop.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I have the Swiffer and it works for the sticky stuff but it doesn't seem to get the actual dirt (like the kind you might leave behind just from shoes). I use it for the quick cleaning but periodically, I wash floors by knees and hands - and I always pick up dirt the Swiffer left behind.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I have the Swiffer and it works for the sticky stuff but it doesn't seem to get the actual dirt (like the kind you might leave behind just from shoes). I use it for the quick cleaning but periodically, I wash floors by knees and hands - and I always pick up dirt the Swiffer left behind.
    Me, too. I always save old/ragged bath towels for this purpose.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I know it's "as seen on TV" and all, but the SHMOP has been the best thing ever for laminate floors (Pergo and the like) for me. For that type of floor, a mop needs to not be sloppy wet, and Shmop is perfect for this.

The lady I had cleaning for us when I was on crutches a few years back strongly recommended the old fashioned rag-type of mop, like this, for our vinyl kitchen floors. Much as I don't like this type of mop, I have to admit it's a lot better at getting the gunk out of all the texture that the vinyl flooring manufacturers put in their floors (yeah, those tiny little divots). In some cases, though, I do need to get down on my hands and knees with a washcloth. . .

vCash
    I've used a Shmop for more than twenty years now, and they're great. I love that I can wet a clean shmop in hot water, wring it out, put it on and clean with it until it is dirty, then take it off and repeat with another clean one. When I'm done, they all go into the laundry, typically on a hot cycle. I've used it on wood, tile, and vinyl, and been happy with each. I also use it dry as a dust mop on hardwood. The elastic on the Shmop head wears out after four or five years, so we do buy replacements every so often. But overall, so much nicer than smelly mops or sponge mops that are awkward to clean, or where you're continually dunking a dirty mop into a pail of clean washwater.

On Wood: Pergo recommends only water for clean-ups on a damp (not wet) mop head, or at least, they used to. Our finish on the hardwood floor is only supposed to be cleaned with vinegar. I think you'll find that clients have different specifications on that front based on what their installer has recommended.

vCash
    This is true. And very weird.

Once, a mop was stolen from me by two maids a local service sent over. One was a serial killer who was later executed. Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci played them in the movie.

And it's not even the only serial killer who was later executed to cross my path. (To quote Kerrigan, why why why.)

anyway. good for you for being tidy. I still do better with other people doing the actual cleaning.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide2 View Post
    anyway. good for you for being tidy. I still do better with other people doing the actual cleaning.
    you still let strangers in your house after that?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I know it's "as seen on TV" and all, but the SHMOP has been the best thing ever for laminate floors (Pergo and the like) for me. For that type of floor, a mop needs to not be sloppy wet, and Shmop is perfect for this.
    I was looking for a good mop to clean my hardwood floors with and my mom had a SHMOP lying around that she gave me. (For some reason her contractor was experimenting with a bunch of mops for her new kitchen laminate flooring and the SHMOP didn't pass his test...)

It works GREAT. Granted, my hardwood floors have seen better days but I use a mix of plain white vinegar and water. You don't need much at all, just enough to get the mop head damp, and away you go. The floor feels downright velvety afterwards. Unfortunately it doesn't do a great job of picking up hair - between me and the cat, there is a TON of hair around and I need to vacuum that up first before mopping.

DoneIt
    vCash

Once, a mop was stolen from me by two maids a local service sent over.
    That's weird because I had a brand new sponge mop stolen this summer. Only used it once. Put it outside my front door to dry, next day -- gone! That was around $25. I had to buy another different mop for $30. What a waste of money.

engaged to dupa
    vCash

Once, a mop was stolen from me by two maids a local service sent over. One was a serial killer who was later executed. Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci played them in the movie.
    OT but why not just say her name? Aileen Wuornos. Although I've never heard of her working as a maid and certainly not with Tyria Moore.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    The trick with wood flooring is that you don't want to get it too wet. Damp is okay, wet is bad. I thus never actually "mop" my hardwood floors. Instead, I use this type of mop:
    I have hardwood floors and never thought it wasn't good not to use a regular mop, water and cleaner.

Fortunately, I hardly ever wash them

I sweep constantly, since I have a dog but love that they don't show the dirt.

vCash
    We just converted over to Enjo products for the whole house. Loving it so far and we are saving a heap on not buying cleaning products. We've had the whole range (basically) for about 9 months now.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I love the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser mop. Mop itself is $14 at Target, and the refill is about $7. It's the only thing that gets my bumpy ceramic tile floor clean.

Actually, I use the entire magic eraser line. The regular "erasers" work wonderfully well on dirty grout lines.
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Make sure whatever you use is ecofriendly. Mops, soaps, products, etc. The fumes and chemicals on regular products is horrible, and it's great for marketing as well.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I love the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser mop. Mop itself is $14 at Target, and the refill is about $7. It's the only thing that gets my bumpy ceramic tile floor clean.
    Just a caution about the Magic Eraser - it scratches varnish, so do not use it on wood floors or lacquered cabinets. I learned this lesson the hard way. It is great for cleaning grout, though.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Make sure you get Material Safety Data Sheets for any products you work with. I am not sure what the law is in your part of the world but here if you run any business and use any type of product you are meant to have them on hand. Plus they have first aid information on them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thank you so much, for all of your great advice & recommendations. I really appreciate it so much. After looking at all types of mops, I have decided to purchase the Shmop.