Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Patrick Chan Uber Thread

I figured FSUs favourite son needed his own thread. Hopefully the Chan haters will stay away.

Anyway, according to this article, he had a fever in the days leading up to TEB. Might explain how he skated. I also thought he looked pretty tired about half way through his long program and especially going into the second lutz which he doubled.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2242539/

One thing I'm glad about in this article is that he says the LP choreo isn't changing. Although maybe Nicol needs to take out some of the transitions and he'll land the jumps better.

Is it too late for him to get a new SP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Is it too late for him to get a new SP?
    I have no idea, but it would be nice if he did. I'm trying to think of a singles skater who successfully defended his/her world title when repeating the short program, but so far can't.

vCash
    Patrick surely didn't look well in his lp in TEB. I have to admit, I've become more nervous with the scores judges gave out for him though. For this he now has more pressures of skating decent programs without falls from chan haters..

Maybe after GPF he could do something on his sp but it's too short to prepare a whole new thing since Canadian Nationals are just one month away from GPF and it's not like his program is woven together with just plain jumps and blank transitions like other skaters/choreographers often do. His programs are always of the great, hardest quality among all disciplines IMO. Well, maybe not in the music choices please Nichol you know you can do better, the best with PChiddy, C'MON!

vCash
    I love PChiddy! But, I love(d) his SP....last year. Time for a new one please. Let the haters hate! Go Patty!

vCash
    I don't mind the SP, but how in the heck is it suposed to be about "a guy trying to impress a girl he met at a bar" ?

vCash
    I am on the Chan fan wagon. I think he is incredible and I love his new free program. It seems wise to me to keep one program per year - especially in these last few years where he has added the quads in both the short and long. I love the fact that he is a confident Canadian - kind of an oxymoron - and I always feel he goes for it and pushes each edge and never plays it safe. I hope someday I can see him live - a dream of mine.
    pug lover

vCash
    Yes, he is something very special to see live. I've seen him a few times and am always amazed at his speed and energy, his edges, and the way he uses his entire body. He does take chances, but watching his footwork at Skate Canada, I was very much moved by his connection with his music especially with the new LP.......absolutely friggin' amazing. He was flying, floating, free. It's something that doesn't come across on TV, as I've watched him on the big screen numerous times. He has a special gift. No-one even came close. Unfortunately, I've never seen him skate clean like he does at the end of the season, but some day I hope to do that. He was ill at TEB, and he didn't seem to have that same effortless delivery that I saw at Skate Canada, but I think he still delivered as best he could, and it was better than anyone else there........so cudo's to him for that. I hope this year ends like last year with clean programs skated to the max...........Goooo Patrick!!!!!
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I think that Patrick getting a new SP this season is totally out of the question but he could do something about Take Five though, that is wear a different and more exciting outfit, it would make the program look fresh IMO.
    Anyhow, Chan is a terrific skater and I wish him the best of luck in the competitions to come.

vCash
    I have a question about his jumps. Last season, he was still falling all over the place but became mad consistent from GPF onwards IIRC. I think I read somewhere that this new video technology really helped him to land those quads. But, it seems again at the beginning of this season he's falling more on the quad again.

Is this normal, to have the consistency and then lose it (compare to his own standard of course)? TEB LP was a good sign though, those quads are amazing.

vCash
    I defended his PCS last season. But this season I am actually becoming a fan. The effortlessness of his blade and movement is almost ridiculous.

With his skating quality and programs (and now more often than not landing the quads), he really does deserve to have a lot of breathing room against almost the whole lackluster mens field these recent seasons. The only exceptions I would make would be for Takahashi and a very "on" Abbott and Kozuka.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh no, I am sorry to hear he was sick. Hope he is recovering now and is ready to train for GPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I defended his PCS last season. But this season I am actually becoming a fan. The effortlessness of his blade and movement is almost ridiculous.
    This. Watching his LP this season really converted me to Chandom.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Love Patrick's new LP, but was disappointed in his TEB performance. Every time I started to enjoy it he would make a mistake and this time it had a negative impact on the overall performance for me. I will say he ended it strong and hope to see it skated to it's full potential more than once this season. Am I asking for too much.

Patrick has shown a greater sensitivty to the music and his upper body movements are softer and more supple than last year. He's obviously been taking dance classes. And I can only imagin how far Patrick's growth in these areas would be if he stretched himself even further with new programs/choreographers each season. I'm of the belief that the more you do the better you get. So I'd like to see Patrick get out of his comfort zone, try a different choreographer for the SP and produce two new programs next year.

I'm not a fan of keeping programs and I wonder if this will hurt Patrick in the judges eyes when most of his rivals have new ones with the exception of Brezina? I think the expectation is if the program is carried over to the next season it should be performed at a greater level. And I'm not sure Patrick can top his 2011 worlds performance.

vCash
    I like his short program and don't mind him reusing it.

His programs are so complex and need so much polish that I understand why he doesn't want to bring in 2 new ones each season. I don't mind him reusing one program each season so long as he keeps improving, either his consistency, his 3axel, his spins, his footwork, or finally a 4sal...

vCash
    Love Patrick Chan and his all programs!

Including silly falls during Step Seq and jumps.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    I´m happy to join this uber thread.

vCash
    The first time we saw him in person was at 2007 Skate America in Reading, PA. I was very impressed then, and even more so now. I do feel that he has been overscored a number of times (margin of victory), and have been puzzled over certain wins (considering the falls), but over all is still a joy to watch.

vCash
    I like his short program because he skates it so well and don't mind seeing it again. Take 5 is the kind of rythmic soft jazz I like......very easy to listen to. I think it's a bit late for him to change it now, but I remember reading that he will have 2 new programs next year, etc.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    This was an extra tough year for Patrick due to late worlds followed by a number of exhibitions and shows.

I has on ice seats for the Ontario Skate awards show ( cannot recall actual name) and was speechless as he flew across the ice. I am looking forward to seeing him in the GPF so hope he has all the kinks over by then.

I love his Aranjuez program -- gives me goose bumps. I know that he skated through the music sometimes with POTO but I think he really feels the music and story line here.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I´m happy to join this uber thread.
    Ah.. your evil sense of humor...

vCash
    Hurray for this thread!! I can finally come out as a Patrick Uber!

I am sick of defending him to the haters. It's such a relief to read the CORRECT opinions (lol) of other Chan lovers.

I love his Take 5 SP. I haven't fallen in love with Aranjuez yet, but I'm sure I will.

Go Patrick!!

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast