Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Reynolds

vCash

Kevin Reynolds

I watched him this weekend and for the first time i liked his skating ( short program) to be specific. The thing is... WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT HAIR? Honestly, i know that people are going to probably roast me because i am saying this but he looks so completely silly that its rediculous. The European broadcasters whom i prefer to hear were ttrying to be as nice as possibly but said something to the effect of " if you're going to do something so out there you have to have the stature and presence to pull it off." He is in my opinion saying to the judges "please dont take me seriously".

Am i the only one? Even the crowd couldnt control their laughter. Completely rediculous...

vCash
    I used to really despise his skating, but somehow, he's starting to grow on me. Mostly it's because of the unrealized potential that I think I see there. I wish he would find a new coaching team, and yes, I'd like for that team to start by toning his look down a bit. He could still have a spiky 'do, but what he's doing now is somewhat ridiculous. I could've sworn he was wearing a BumpIts in his short program.

Hair aside, I feel like he wants to be musical and I like his quirky short program music. I'm sure he has no problem doing triples, so I think that if a new coach worked with him on his "in-betweens", forgetting the under-rotated quads for now, he could really be something.

vCash
    I also like his skating but the hair is ridiculous. And it clearly isn't quirky for the sake of the program, because he wears it like that for both of his programs.

vCash

COACHING

His overall skating is underdeveloped. He is a smaller guy with almost no muscle to him so he sort of skates small! His stroking isnt powerful and his jumps are not hight BUT i think that a more mature look and workingon basic skills, transitions, power and presence will help him a lot. ALso, if we could actually see his face when he skates...

When you are at that level, its time out for "be an individual" unless you can back it up with the goods. Daisuke Takahashi sometimes has outrageous hair but his skating is so incredible, who cares? Kevin just does not make that impact so the packaging needs to change. There is just no way that a coach should let that foolishness go. I know coaches arent parents but COME ON! The spins are nice but the steps and impact... HELP!

vCash
    I have a question, has a senior, international level skater ever left Joanne McLeod? I know that lower level skaters have left, but if the center has some sort of real or perceived hold over the top skaters, perhaps the hair etc is just Kevin's way of rebelling.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I like Reynolds SP this season. Its si fun
    But what happened with his hairs all time?

Banned Member
    vCash
    But with all honesty, is there anything else to note about his skating? I like the hair, imagine how boring he'd be with a short 'do pulled to the side. You'd never notice him or remember him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    But with all honesty, is there anything else to note about his skating? I like the hair, imagine how boring he'd be with a short 'do pulled to the side. You'd never notice him or remember him.
    True but I think that's the problem. His hair is probably all they remember. IMO he can wear his hair however he wants. If he skated like Chan or Takahashi or Yags the hair would be mentioned but it would be a part of him and the total package of who he is, instead it's defining him because lately that's all there is. I use to have hope for Kevin but if he doesn't make a change soon I'm afraid it'll be too late.

vCash
    Joanne McLeod apparently has no interest in teaching her skaters that they should be appropriately groomed when competing. Emanuel Sandhu wore heavy theatrical makeup that looked ridiculous under arena lighting, and poor Mira Leung desperately needed someone to help her with costuming, hair & makeup. Kevin can wear his hair any way he wants to when he's training, but if he wants to be taken seriously he needs to show some respect for the sport and tone it down when he's competing. There's no way a Brian Orser or a Frank Carroll would allow one of their students out on the ice looking like that, and Joanne McLeod shouldn't be letting Kevin do it either. A better coach would have dealt with this issue long ago.

vCash
    Here is Kevin in 2008 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdPss...05561443504289 - clearly he is capable of a neater looking hairstyle. He must either like the way it looks now or not care.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    You know I kind of feel bad for picking on him about his hair. Because one of the things that made me start watching Adam Rippon was an interview where he said he really prefers his hair curly but his coach at the time always required him to straighten it. As a curly haired person, I hate that "straighten it" is the magical answer. So I don't really like the idea of a coach prescribing a hair style of any sort.

But Reynold's looks ridiculous- and it is clear he is styling it that way, he doesn't just have out of control hair that can't be tamed. He apparently has curly hair based on this picture: http://tracings.net/photos/2006cdns/002-reynolds.jpg
    Though I do think I like the straight look on him- just not the insane straight look.

vCash
    I think his hair and make up is great this season. He's found a look which really works. He did look a bit of a mess in the past, but this is a definite style. I love big hair on guys.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Here is Kevin in 2008 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdPss...05561443504289 - clearly he is capable of a neater looking hairstyle. He must either like the way it looks now or not care.
    Well, Tarasova may have forced him to dress like a tree, but at least his hair was controlled. Imagine his current hairdo on top of that horrific costume
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    His hair looks like a rat's nest and it totally obscures his face when he is skating. If he had better technique and managed to fully rotate and land the quads and the 3A, maybe he could be forgiven for his personal appearance. But as it is, he looks the way he skates: sloppy.

vCash
    I think Kevin Reynold's hair has been extremely effective, as evidenced by the fact that not a single person on this thread has commented on his large, oddly shaped nose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I think Kevin Reynold's hair has been extremely effective, as evidenced by the fact that not a single person on this thread has commented on his large, oddly shaped nose.
    Plushenko's nose is large and oddly shaped, too. But that's where the resemblance ends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Well, Tarasova may have forced him to dress like a tree, but at least his hair was controlled. Imagine his current hairdo on top of that horrific costume
    Well, er, yes

Sometimes one just has to look for something positive to say, you know?

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    You know I kind of feel bad for picking on him about his hair. Because one of the things that made me start watching Adam Rippon was an interview where he said he really prefers his hair curly but his coach at the time always required him to straighten it. As a curly haired person, I hate that "straighten it" is the magical answer. So I don't really like the idea of a coach prescribing a hair style of any sort.

But Reynold's looks ridiculous- and it is clear he is styling it that way, he doesn't just have out of control hair that can't be tamed. He apparently has curly hair based on this picture: http://tracings.net/photos/2006cdns/002-reynolds.jpg
    Though I do think I like the straight look on him- just not the insane straight look.
    I think he looks much better with his hair curly if he keeps it short enough, like in this picture.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Plushenko's nose is large and oddly shaped, too. But that's where the resemblance ends.
    Speaking of big noses, during the post-FD interview at TEB, I couldn't help but think of Pinnochio when Scott Moir was being interviewed. The greased down, straightened hair style didn't help matters; it only made the comparisons to the fabled wooden boy with the long nose more prevalent.

vCash
    My opinion: I can't take Kevin seriously because of his ridiculous hair. I know I SHOULDN'T feel like that, but I do. To me, it greatly distracts from anything good he may do on the ice--I have a hard time looking at him. And I'm aware that others may not feel the same.

It's sad, because I believe he's a huge talent. If he actually gets all that jumping ability under control--wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast